Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

St Anne's Cork / The Lough

Options
  • 13-11-2012 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hello

I was adopted in March 1980 through St Anne's Adoption Society in Cork, and have only recently started dealing with issues I have around it.

As part of it, I have been advised to try to locate the orphanege/society from where I was adopted and to spend a few minutes in the vicinity and to allow myself to "feel" and recognise what is at the end of the day a huge event in my life.

I'm not sure where to start to be honest.. I've already spoken to the SHB in Cork a number of years ago and have gotten my non-identifying information, but was wondering if anyone can tell me where I would likely have been adopted from in Cork or if St Anne's would be likely to give out the information on the location of their centres in 1980?

I realise that there are quite likely a set of nice apartments standing there now or something similar but I guess I'd like to learn a little about the area regardless..

For further info:

I was born in Cork in Jan 1980
    I was given up for adoption through St Anne's Adoption Society in March 1980
    I was baptised in the Lough Parish in Cork

Other than that I have no idea.. where would I likely have been born? Where would l likely have spent my first few months?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rinsjwind

Hi Doubtfir

Your actual place of birth, i.e. the hospital, nursing home, mother and baby home etc. will be on your "original" birth cert, see elsewhere on here for details on getting hold of that.

Knowing where you were born will probably give you a good idea where you might have been between your birth and being taken home by your adoptive parents. The HSE Adoption Service in Glanmire has the St Annes files and there might be more info there but as you will see from the many, many posts about them, they are up to their a**es at the moment.

Good luck.

Rins

• Registered Users Posts: 32 moihugs

doubtfire3 If U have your non idenifying info u can search and get your birth cert yourself! Check the info on here , ive done it my self have got my birth cert and my bmum birth cert her marriage cert and siblings and have also her address now! Its just a matter of sitting in the gro in Dublin for the day. Look through the year you were born find a baby with same date of birth same first name and general location is all match u have ur birth cert but i would still continue on in the book till the end to make sure! It took me ages though to find the rest of the info i have !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LittleSilver

Hi
    I was born in 1975, after a bumpy start (health-wise) at St Finbars Hospital in Cork. At three months of age I was adopted out by St Anne's Cork / The Lough. I have memory of feeling a great loss from that time. Not so much abandonment but rather love torn away from me. I have vague images of metal bars, possibly a cot - a old women wearing a white hat. A dark room or ward with the glow of a fireplace. I know it sounds like the premise of a badly written horror movie but these fragments are all I have from that chapter of my childhood. Has anyone experienced similar?

Advertisement