Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

thinking of getting a bass amp

• 08-01-2012 2:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

im fairly ok around a bass and was thinking of joining a band as a bass player for learning and stuff, i never had musician friends
    i have an acoustic and an electric bass i reckon to get in the door of a band id prob need my own amp too
    what kinda price am i looking for something workable and presentable, im not one of them people that has to have something purple and shiny , the fact i told you i have a bass probably shows that, <i have no idea what make either of them are>
    the electric one has a fish on it i think
    the acoustic one has a sticker that says 300 euro
    anyhu whats the advice on getting a cheap giiging bass amp , ive only ever played them off a practice guitar amp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Right.
    I think I'm in a fairly good position to advise.
    I started playing bass a year ago, and have gigged almost weekly ever since.
    I bought this amp and am still using it.
    I've used it in venues varying from, small pubs, to Vicar Street, NCH, and The Sugar Club.
    It's a great amp, with a built in pre-amp, along with a few other effects. And it's a great price.

Be prepared to lift though. Bass amps aren't light!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

jaysis its kinda catch 22 , youd need paying giggs to pay that much for something and youd need to pay that much for something to have paying giggs ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Ok,

Here is my thoughts.

I'm on rig number 3. A good aul friend of mine said you always end up getting 3 setups, the first one, the second one and then the right one.

Trace Elliot, solid amp. Heavy and expensive, do not hold their value. Had a 4x10 combo.

Ash down, not gig worthy (3+per week) unless flight cased of transported very carefully, cheap, good sound. Had head, 2x10, 1x15. 1x15 failed, followed by head needing repairs and then the other cab broke and needed fixing.

Ampeg, soild, great sound, try get USA model 2nd hand over Nampeg models. Stay away from their new range of combos, useless pieces of crap. I'm currently using a USA stack, can't leave home without it. I love this set up, heavy (70kg) but worth every effort when turned on.

That was my experience.

Stay away from Behringer, if I was you I'd look 2nd hand on adverts or some other site. Try get at least 300w.

Bass amps are heavy, 30kg upwards for 300w combos. Dont forget wheels can be attached to most setups. Separates make thing easy by breaking up the weight. However class d amps have taken the weight right down with some bass heads putting out over 1k watts being under 13kg. Neo speakers have reduced the weight of the cabs also, however some purists say heavy magents make better sound and the class d amps loose tone! Each to there own. I've had the pleasure of play one of marks bass newer combos with class d and neo loaded, like it a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭AndyTheDude

Buy something second hand. Adverts.ie is your friend. Try as many combos as you can before buying one, and choose the one YOU like the most. You don't need a 300W amp, a 200W one will be more than enough. Take its weight and portability into consideration, dragging a big and heavy amp around is not going to be something you will enjoy...
    Make sure your new combo has a DI out, it will save you a few quid.

And get rid off that fish, it will start to rot sooner or later and the stench coming off your bass is not going to make the task of finding a band any easier, believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'd recommend trying as many amps as you can and don't let price put you off the good stuff. This is my bass rig (Markbass Little Mark Tube 800 and a Markbass Standard 4 x 10 Bass Cabinet), bought after playing through gear by Trace Elliot, Ampeg, Fender, Carlsbro, Harley Benton and others over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭William_Hicley

This amp has never let me down http://www.thomann.de/ie/ampeg_ba115hp_basscombo.htm you can use it for small gigs and practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I use an Ibanez Promethean - it isn't cheap, but it redefines what a bass amp looks like, weighs like and sounds like. The P5110 is the 1x10 combo which throws out a very respectable 250 watts with plenty of low end on the B, had an EQ, vibe switch to flip from modern to vintage tone characteristics, and it's just a bit larger than about 16 inch square. Best bit is the P110C extension cabinet, it's another 1x10, but plugged into the combo as a mini stack, you end up with a lightweight tiny 2x10 setup pushing out 500 watts. I did my last gig with the volume set at 4, and the guys were complaining on stage that it was too loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Owen wrote: »
    I use an Ibanez Promethean - it isn't cheap, but it redefines what a bass amp looks like, weighs like and sounds like. The P5110 is the 1x10 combo which throws out a very respectable 250 watts with plenty of low end on the B, had an EQ, vibe switch to flip from modern to vintage tone characteristics, and it's just a bit larger than about 16 inch square. Best bit is the P110C extension cabinet, it's another 1x10, but plugged into the combo as a mini stack, you end up with a lightweight tiny 2x10 setup pushing out 500 watts. I did my last gig with the volume set at 4, and the guys were complaining on stage that it was too loud.

Where they playing the spoons? :p

Interesting amp, reminds of the gk range of 1x10 with optional extensions.
    Did you source local or web?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Really really tried hard to get it locally, but no one'd oblige. I bought the combo from Thomann, then I decided I wanted the extension cab, tried locally again and still couldn't get it, then Thomann said they couldn't supply it and have me a list of bull excuses, so I got it from Musicstore.de in a day, Cash on Delivery.

No one believes the thump from the setup, it's so small. We did a gig recently with a house engineer who was convinced it wouldn't be any good, he was really shocked by it. I think as speakers and amps develop, the days of having large cabinets and drivers to create a tight deep sound that carries are behind us. I bought it on the strength of reviews on the Talk Bass forum - it's seemingly a very popular amp in the States, but hasn't took off here yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭bayles

The first question should be whats your budget ???

There is alot of nice gear been spoken about here but if you cant afford it then that aint much help , so how much can you spend . If you got deep pockets then the sky is the limit .

I swear by this stuff , its what i use http://www.thomann.de/ie/gallien_krueger_1001rb_ii.htm

http://www.thomann.de/ie/gallien_krueger_neo4108.htm

I have used some of the equipment mentioned by other posters here and ended up setteling on this , now i wouldnt get anything else but then its all a matter of prefrence .
    GK do a line called the "Backline series" which is the budget end of there products (example) http://www.thomann.de/ie/gallien_krueger_backline_600.htm some pro,s use this stuff instead of the higher end gear all the time . I have used it myself and found it fantastic , nice and punchy with terrific volume . What i would recommend would be a combo of some description with an output of approx 300 to 350watts , that should well cover your ass for the size of gigs you will be doing . GK do nice combos but you should also check out Peavy bass amps , relatavly cheap and fairly reliable .

Heres a nice little combo and you could probably haggle the guy down a bit
    http://www.adverts.ie/bass-amps/warwick-250w-bass-combo-amplifier/1225732 . By the way that guitar you have with the fish on it , chances are its a "Marlin" bass , nice starting off bass . If there is a fish inlay on about the 12th fret then thats what it is.

• Advertisement

bayles wrote: »
    The first question should be whats your budget ???

There is alot of nice gear been spoken about here but if you cant afford it then that aint much help , so how much can you spend . If you got deep pockets then the sky is the limit .

I swear by this stuff , its what i use http://www.thomann.de/ie/gallien_krueger_1001rb_ii.htm

http://www.thomann.de/ie/gallien_krueger_neo4108.htm

I have used some of the equipment mentioned by other posters here and ended up setteling on this , now i wouldnt get anything else but then its all a matter of prefrence .
    GK do a line called the "Backline series" which is the budget end of there products (example) http://www.thomann.de/ie/gallien_krueger_backline_600.htm some pro,s use this stuff instead of the higher end gear all the time . I have used it myself and found it fantastic , nice and punchy with terrific volume . What i would recommend would be a combo of some description with an output of approx 300 to 350watts , that should well cover your ass for the size of gigs you will be doing . GK do nice combos but you should also check out Peavy bass amps , relatavly cheap and fairly reliable .

Heres a nice little combo and you could probably haggle the guy down a bit
    http://www.adverts.ie/bass-amps/warwick-250w-bass-combo-amplifier/1225732 . By the way that guitar you have with the fish on it , chances are its a "Marlin" bass , nice starting off bass . If there is a fish inlay on about the 12th fret then thats what it is.
    yeah its a marlin slammer apparantly , the acoustic is an sx custom , would there be that much difference playing it out a guitar amp, money is too tight to mention <which im sorry to admit phil collins once said>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭bayles

Wouldnt recommend it , obviously if your completly skint then give it a go but i wouldnt. Guitar amps are not designed to handle the low frequencies that bass guitars put out just like bass amps are not designed to handle the high frequencies that guitars put out . You will end up destroying the speaker at some stage and its going to sound very distorted when you crank up the volume , a keyboard through a guitar amp is ok but not a bass . Get yourself a second hand or third hand cheap little combo and start from there

(Money,s too tight to mention was Mick Hucknell and Simply Red)

bayles wrote: »
    (Money,s too tight to mention was Mick Hucknell and Simply Red)
    jaysus your right , that phil collins fella takin credit for songs he didnt do again , hes such a spoofer

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Cox

Been playing bass for 22 years and gone through more amps than I care to remember. It all depends on what you're prepared to pay and how serious you are. For me the Genz Benz Shuttle 675W combo is far and away the best amp I've ever played or heard. It's lightweight (uses neodymnion magnets) and no matter how loud you go you never lose tone. Unlike most amps (Trace, Ampeg, Ashdown) the GenzBenz doesnt hijack the sound of your bass. When you put a Fender jazz through it, you hear Fender jazz, when you put a musicman through it thats what you get. There is no overriding "Genz Benz" tone. It is f*****g pure! But pricey!

Moved from Bands and Musicians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Moved from Bands and Musicians
    Well done, I left it in the wrong forum for you as a test and you passed :).
    Actually the truth is I never noticed what forum the thread was in, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭William_Hicley

Cox wrote: »
    Been playing bass for 22 years and gone through more amps than I care to remember. It all depends on what you're prepared to pay and how serious you are. For me the Genz Benz Shuttle 675W combo is far and away the best amp I've ever played or heard. It's lightweight (uses neodymnion magnets) and no matter how loud you go you never lose tone. Unlike most amps (Trace, Ampeg, Ashdown) the GenzBenz doesnt hijack the sound of your bass. When you put a Fender jazz through it, you hear Fender jazz, when you put a musicman through it thats what you get. There is no overriding "Genz Benz" tone. It is f*****g pure! But pricey!

Promblem is, it probably took you 22 years or there to find it! I'm playing bass for 10 now and still searching for that "perfect" rig. Everbodys tastes are different, thats the problem! So whichever amp the OP chooses, it probably wont be what he sticks with in the end. So he should just with whatever is in his budget. Oh the joys of playing bass! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

hi lads and ladies good thread so far, im in the same boat as the op im looking for a new amp i recently bought a cort artisan b5 and i dont think my sx basic amp is cutting it with the new bass especially with the b string at high volume it really shows, trouble is im tottaly lost when it comes to amps and the lingo that comes with it, any advice or websites to help me? id also have a budget of around 200-300 for a new amp but it would be just for home use at the moment as i havent found a band yet. any advice would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

any advice or websites to help me?

http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/bass-guitars/bass-guitar-amps/buying-guide.php

If you do a Google search for "Bass Amp Buying Guides" it should throw up more sites.

Advertisement