Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Co. Meath speed limits

Options
  • 11-05-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭

I semi regularly drive on N2/N3 and there are some very odd ball speed limits there while in Co. Meath. I can't think of anywhere else in the country where the limits would be so incorrect for the location. Wonder how they got set there...

Example 1: Old N3 near Plantagen shop. Speed limit 60 km/h that changes to 80 km/h just before roundabouts at each end. While I enjoy drifting on the roundabouts I always feel like bit of a tool doing 60 in that long straight bit of a road north of Plantagen exit.

Example 2: Further on old N3 approaching Dunshauglin. 60 km/h for ages both side of the town. Kind of understand this as there is an estate under construction and a petrol station but...

Example 3: N2 around Slane. 30 km/h is a tad slow for this national route. It is particularly inappropriate driving up the hill towards Dublin after clearing the bridge. I normally follow the posted speed limits but heading to Dublin I just cannot bring myself to drive 30/50/60 on this empty section of road.

These are the worst three I know of but there are more slower than expected limits between Summerhill and Trim too, for example.

PS. There also appear to be quite regular policing on the old N3. I have been tailgated by an unmarked Mondeo there on several occasions. And before the horsy brigade I haven't received any tickets so that is not my motive in bringing this up. I'm guessing there's a councilor employed that takes road safety "seriously" but would be interested to know what the story is.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The 60kmh part at plantagen is off the wall, easiest way to solve this is to put a no right turn coming out of plantagen and send the traffic around the roundabout, much safer imo. Camera van seems to there quite a bit so must make a lot of money under the guise if road safety. Part of the plan to force traffic back onto the m3.

The car freewheels faster than 30kmh down to slane.

Kilbride road is 50kmh but turn off to Glascairn lane and its 80kmh (madness to go anywhere near that speed)
    samih wrote: »
    I semi regularly drive on N2/N3 and there are some very odd ball speed limits there while in Co. Meath. I can't think of anywhere else in the country where the limits would be so incorrect for the location. Wonder how they got set there...

Example 1: Old N3 near Plantagen shop. Speed limit 60 km/h that changes to 80 km/h just before roundabouts at each end. While I enjoy drifting on the roundabouts I always feel like bit of a tool doing 60 in that long straight bit of a road north of Plantagen exit.

Example 2: Further on old N2 approaching Ashbourne. 60 km/h for ages both side of the town. Kind of understand this as there is an estate under construction and a petrol station but...

Example 3: N3 around Slane. 30 km/h is a tad slow for this national route. It is particularly inappropriate driving up the hill towards Dublin after clearing the bridge. I normally follow the posted speed limits but heading to Dublin I just cannot bring myself to drive 30/50/60 on this empty section of road.

These are the worst three I know of but there are more slower than expected limits between Summerhill and Trim too, for example.

PS. There also appear to be quite regular policing on the old N3. I have been tailgated by an unmarked Mondeo there on several occasions. And before the horsy brigade I haven't received any tickets so that is not my motive in bringing this up. I'm guessing there's a councilor employed that takes road safety "seriously" but would be interested to know what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The N52 is the same though, its 80/km in Meath but in Louth and Westmeath the limit increases to 100km/h, I wouldn't mind but the section of it that's in Meath is the best section of it!

The N52 route wouldn't affect the M3 so it's limit makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

There was a thread on this before... We have the stupidest speed limits and camera zones in the country :rolleyes:

316693_293194220700033_100000283731772_1143827_804671182_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

To be fair the 30 kmh in Sane kicks in before the hill down to the bridge. The whole bypass slane movement had to be given a few crumbs after that runaway truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

MugMugs wrote: »
    To be fair the 30 kmh in Sane kicks in before the hill down to the bridge. The whole bypass slane movement had to be given a few crumbs after that runaway truck.

It's a token speed limit though and a stupid one at that to keep the "someone think of the children crowd happy" it should only apply on the hill down through the town on the N2 only, not the N51 and outside the school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

draffodx wrote: »
    MugMugs wrote: »

It's a token speed limit though and a stupid one at that to keep the "someone think of the children crowd happy" it should only apply on the hill down through the town on the N2 only, not the N51 and outside the school.

If it keeps their bloody JCBS away from ancient sites, I really don't mind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Just north of the Greenstar facility on the N2 is a rather short 60kph limit. It's not at either side of the greenstar facility but centred around a few houses a hundred metres or so north of the entrance. :confused:

Nobody adheres to it anyway so i suppose it's not a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Galway headford road to n17 sliproad between the roundabouts 50km, makes no sense

Advertisement