Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1999 astra centre clock and temp gauge not working

• 23-01-2009 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey there guys sorry about this any clues as to why its not working. I have a kenwood cd player in there is this the reason? Or do they just work with authentic opel cd players that are built in. Im getting nothing from it no time temp or anything any clues?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

sammy657 wrote: »
    Hey there guys sorry about this any clues as to why its not working. I have a kenwood cd player in there is this the reason? Or do they just work with authentic opel cd players that are built in. Im getting nothing from it no time temp or anything any clues?

Is this the same astra that had the timing belt done recently???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Usually, if you fit a different radio, the display will show the information that it would if the Opel radio was turned off. You won't get radio station information.

I take it from what you are saying that the display is dead.....?

Has this only happened since you replaced the radio unit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭sammy657

Ya i got that back all is good running perfect mate

Ya its dead no radio information no clock no nothing. Na i bought it like that with it in so for me the clock has never worked:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It sounds like it's disconnected. Maybe you could remove the radio and check the connections? I'm no Opel expert but that's where I'd start. It's possible that an adapter loom is needed or that in the process of fitting the replacement radio the connection to the display was accidentally disconnected.

• Advertisement

Well i took out the radio the other day and looked and its just the block things you need to clip into place although there was a grey wire looked like it needed to be soldiered on but was stuck on with tape to get an fm radio signal but this came loose and i couldnt get it back on so i only got cds to play in at the mo. But even before i did that it never worked and them black clip ones and the grey wire were the only wires there

Sorry guys the temp gauge in the clock i ment the one that displays with the clock

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

When the car is turned off does the screen display if you press either of the two buttons?
    Its should display for 10 sec or so, to allow you to check the time/outside temp., this might help us locate the problem.

Na mate i get nothing at all from it

Still got no joy people any clues? Should at least the time work even tho i have a kenwood cd player?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Obviously the display won't work properly with the stereo you've installed.
    It is possible to purchase devices that allow non standard stereos
    communicate and work properly with the car's built in display.
    Not all stereos will work with these devices though.

You would imagine that you would be seeing something on the display though, an error code even.

When you have the stereo out can you feel the back of the centre display to check if the wires are connected into it?

Have you checked all the car's fuses?

There's always the possibility that the display is working but the light
    bulbs inside it have blown and you can'd see what's on the screen.
    These bulbs usually twist into the back of the display unit.

Whenever I've had cars with built in displays that connect to the stereo I either stick with the standard stereo or I buy a stereo that can be
    made to work with the display using an adaptor.

If having a really good stereo isn't an issue to you I'd suggest trying to source a standard Astra stereo off eBay or from a scrap yard.

Well all the wires ive seen connect into the radio only so im not sure. Has anyone else ever had this before? I will check the fuses tomorrow im just not sure tho cos im being told diff things:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I think there should be 2 wires going from the stereo to the display unit,
    carrying data.
    There should probably then be a wiring loom going into the back of the display with quite a few wires in it.
    This may just be unplugged or slightly loose.

It's always possible that the unit is just knackered.
    I think they have a history of being somewhat unreliable.

Well from what i saw of the radio theres 2 sets of wires with black plugs there is 2 of these and a grey wire that picks up a reception. I left the grey wire out as now i cannot get an fm signal because it was too hard to put in and needs to be soldiered to the unit so i left it loose and just play cds but i connected the 2 black plugs

The display will not show up radio/cd functions of an aftermarket headunit, it only shows up the original stereo's info-they dont have any LCD display on the unit themselves so it needs to show it.

It should however light up and give you the outside temp, clock and date/month/year whenever you have the ignition on.

It could be that a bulb has blow like someone suggested, however from what i gathered on google it has two bulbs so its unlikely both would have gone, but seen as it never worked while you have had it then its possible one went on the owner before you and they just left it.

The fuses you need to check according to http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=168665
    are 13, 22 and 34

Id advise searching Vauxhall forums as the people on those forums know there stuff and there is bound to be someone on there who had the same issues with their Astra as you.

I think if i were you id take out the unit and see if any plug/wire has come out of it, as it may not be getting any power. Ive seen these units on eBay fairly cheap so if worst came to worse it wont break the bank getting a replacement, but try the fuses/bulbs first, hopefully it will be a cheap fix.

Finally got it working the fuse was loose and not in correctly number 13 i thinks it was. Anyhoo i checked 13 22 34 and 36 was this correct? Hopefully i stuck em all in properly as im freezing cold lol. What is the worst that can happen if i dont put a fuse in correctly or in the wrong hole can anything blow etc or would be the worst case that a certain thing wouldnt work?

As long as you put the right colour fuse into the correct socket again you'll have no problem. When checking something like this its best to do one at a time so your not left with a few fuses and wondering what one went into which socket.

Its good that you got it going again, and that you didnt have to take anything apart! If only all things were as easily cured!

Yeah i was abit weary even to go into the fuse box myself as im not that handy at all lol but a flat head screwdriver and it uncliped and all was aparant. Just dont want any wires melting or anything if worse comes to worse and i did stick a wrong fuse in the wrong hole its just a broken fuse or something not working within the car and not an expensive fix?

Advertisement