Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Likelyhood of a fine thru the post?

Options
  • 24-01-2009 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi there people does anyone know if garda use discrection when using a speed gun. I was doing about 107kph in a 100 yesterday and i saw a garda with a gun as i was coming down a hill. Do ya think ill get anything thru the post? Anyone else happened like this before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

sammy657 wrote: »
    Hi there people does anyone know if garda use discrection when using a speed gun. I was doing about 107kph in a 100 yesterday and i saw a garda with a gun as i was coming down a hill. Do ya think ill get anything thru the post? Anyone else happened like this before?

If it's a garda with a speed gun you have to be pulled in

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If you were doing 107 on the speedo then you probably weren't more than 1-2km/h over the limit anyway - you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭sammy657

Do they only have the speed guns in kerry then? My cars speedo is quite accurate only about 2kph out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Hi there people does anyone know if garda use discrection when using a speed gun

No.

He'll go back to the station and bragg about it to all his mates!

So would they chase ya down and pull ya then? Just worried il get something in the post was so stupid of me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

You might've been over the limit, but you weren't speeding. He'd only have pulled you if you were booting along. Rough guideline is Guards allow 10% for speedo error and the odd slip of the foot, or so I've heard. But don't quote me on it.

O.P.
    You would have been pulled in on the spot if they had the regular hand held device. If you slowed down a bit and this stays with you for a while, then job done.

Just to give you a summary of some of the upcoming posts:
    "shooting fish in a barrell"
    "money making exercise"
    "revenue collection"
    "nothing better to do"
    "speedometer has a built-in 10% error"

I did i slowed from 107 to about 102 when i saw them

I did i slowed from 107 to about 102 when i saw them
    Why not 100?:D

Well it was around the 100 mark just slightly over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

Forget about it Sammy, you weren`t pulled over so you wont get a fine.You were within accepable limits anyway so stop worrying and go forth and multiply!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Don't worry about it, with those guns they have to stop you, think about it, how steady can they hold a hand held gun? It would need to be really steady for a photo of your reg, hence the use of tripods.
    If there was a tripod then it would be a different matter.
    Even if there was a tripod from what you say you were only 10km/h (from your speedo reading) over the limit.
    Two points on this:

- your speedo could be 8-10km/h out i.e. reading faster, it will never read slower (unless there is a fault)
    - the Gardai are not normally heartless, they will allow 10% speeding sometimes. It is at the discretion of the Garda on duty really.

So enjoy the weekend! :)

Advertisement