Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going from bad to worse

Options
  • 04-06-2015 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I wonder has it always been a given thst if you worked in the fast food or restaurant business you weren't going to get full job entitlements due to the high turnover of staff etc.

I remember years ago my first job working in a well known fast food chain there was one guy that used to cycle in 4 miles to work on a Saturday afternoon to work one hour during lunch for £2.25 and then cycle home again. Thank God those days are gone... Or are they?

Friend works in extremely busy coffee shop. Can't get staff it's that busy, nobody wants to work there, so she HAS to work 7 days a week. She doesn't mind, what else would she be doing? She's young and likes money!

Lately things have been getting a bit funny. She's told, go home 15 minutes early, it's quiet and don't forget to make the appropriate deduction on your time sheet. It's 2;30pm, go home for and hour and a half and come back when it's time to clean up and close shop.

I asked about all the bank holidays she worked. Extra money? No. Extra weeks holidays? No. Should I even ask about written terms and conditions of employment and pension scheme? I think not.

Is any of this above board or am I just nit picking at the struggling restaurant sector doing their best to survive and give people jobs?

Advertisement