Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a pre-employment medical? does it mean a job offer if I pass it?

Options
  • 01-06-2015 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

During the interview they stated there would be only 1 interview, this pre-employment medical, and a reference check which is all company policy.

So they called me back a few days after the interview asking me to go for a pre-employment medical with a doctor, which is tomorrow so what exactly does it entail?

Do I need to dress in any particular way?

I don't have any health or fitness issues nor do I smoke or drink so I see no reason I would fail and assuming I do pass the medical does that mean they are going to make me a job offer shortly afterwards?

Any info would be great thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The medical is usually a very good sign.

There's not much to them either. A sight test, a hearing test, heart rate measurement, blood pressure, a urine test (I'm not sure this happens everywhere but in pharma companies I think it's standard), and a questionnaire on your general health.

The only ones I've ever done were in special clinics for that type of stuff so I never had any contact with the company on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The medical is usually a very good sign.

There's not much to them either. A sight test, a hearing test, heart rate measurement, blood pressure, a urine test (I'm not sure this happens everywhere but in pharma companies I think it's standard), and a questionnaire on your general health.

The only ones I've ever done were in special clinics for that type of stuff so I never had any contact with the company on the day.
    Yes it sounds similar enough its not a pharma company and its in a doctors practice not actually at the companies building at all

So I should just dress smart? no need for a tracksuit or runners or anything like that.

From experience how long is it normally before they get back to you after a medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

GenQuest wrote: »
    YSo I should just dress smart? no need for a tracksuit or runners or anything like that.

No particular need to dress smart, I would wear whatever you would usually feel comfortable in when visiting a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

OP, this may sound daft but drink plenty of water before you go so that you can actually give a urine sample if needed. There is nothing worse than being asked to pee and not being able to.

The idea behind the pre employment medical is to establish a baseline of the state of your help in case you have a long term injury at work (hearing loss for example). Its also done in conjunction with annual medicals. I have worked in a place that changed the menus in the canteen due to quite a few staff members cholesterol levels rising. It may seem daft but some employers want their staff to be healthy as they take less sick leave.

Advertisement