Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Ubee EVW3226

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Update:

Tried a new laptop today with Gigabit port and got nearly 250mb download.

So modem is working great on high speed ports, but on older 10/100mb only works up to 30mb.

Not sure whether that's just the way the modem is configured or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 akav05

Xpro wrote: »
    Update:

So modem is working great on high speed ports, but on older 10/100mb only works up to 30mb.

I'm in the same boat as far as modem works great with the laptop reaching 205Mb but not with the minix TV box but my problem is I don't use the Ethernet connection for my laptop only for my minix so if it's gonna be an issue to where it will only reach that on the minix then upc will be getting the Ubee back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Update:

Glad i saw this post and i hope it's the same for me.
    I posted this earlier in another thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94062017&postcount=54

Need to get a hold of a PCI Gigabit network adapter or a laptop which has a Gigabit port to test it out on my connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

derra wrote: »
    Glad i saw this post and i hope it's the same for me.
    I posted this earlier in another thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94062017&postcount=54

Need to get a hold of a PCI Gigabit network adapter or a laptop which has a Gigabit port to test it out on my connection.

Not a bad idea. Knowing UPC, its unlikeley they will really be bothered fixing the issue(since it seems its firmware related on the Ubee).

If I was getting this issue, I'd front my connection through a cheap 5 port gigabit switch, leaving it to do the negotiation.

Not a bad idea. Knowing UPC, its unlikeley they will really be bothered fixing the issue(since it seems its firmware related on the Ubee).

If I was getting this issue, I'd front my connection through a cheap 5 port gigabit switch, leaving it to do the negotiation.

So if i was to get a Gigabit switch and connect it to the Ubee, you reckon i would get a much better speed this way? (I'm guessing the Gigabit switch will try squeeze as much as possible out of the 10/100 adapters? I could get a Gigabit adapter for the desktop anyway)

I have a desktop and two raspberry pi's in the house which i want to keep wired, all 3 with 10/100 adapters.

I'm getting 36 Mb/s download and 12 Mb/s Upload at the moment on the 120 Mb/s line.

• Advertisement

So if i was to get a Gigabit switch and connect it to the Ubee, you reckon i would get a much better speed this way? (I'm guessing the Gigabit switch will try squeeze as much as possible out of the 10/100 adapters? I could get a Gigabit adapter for the desktop anyway)

I have a desktop and two raspberry pi's in the house which i want to keep wired, all 3 with 10/100 adapters.

I'm getting 36 Mb/s download and 12 Mb/s Upload at the moment on the 120 Mb/s line.

What is a gigabit switch? Since getting the Ubee modem my minix x8 is only getting 30Mbps when it was receiving 95Mbps with my Cisco modem which upc swapped out because of a wifi problem it had. I don't want to pay for other parts when a previous modem I had worked fine for me. I think I jus want the Cisco modem back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I'd probably hold off a little while before getting any additional kit - if enough people report the issue to UPC, then they'll have to do something about it. (Firmware update, more than likely)

Definitely firmware issue.
    Otherwise this modem rocks when its properly set up.
    WiFi signal is excellent, and the 5GHZ is just awesome. My mac is getting close to 200mb every time over Wifi on 5ghz and around 100mb on 2.4ghz.

So far Ethernet is the only problem as modem only works well with Gigabit connection.
    I spoke to UPC technician and he said that my laptop was to old to reach proper speeds.
    I tried explaining that either ways I should get close to 100mb until the ports maxes out, but he was having none of it. Trying to get a right person is the next thing.

hrzkw0.jpg

roast wrote: »
    I'd probably hold off a little while before getting any additional kit - if enough people report the issue to UPC, then they'll have to do something about it. (Firmware update, more than likely)

No F that I ain't buying anything extra, bloody upc bill costs me enough as it is. I'm jus pissed that some simple things are not ready to work straight out of the box considering we pay enough for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

akav05 wrote: »
    No F that I ain't buying anything extra, bloody upc bill costs me enough as it is. I'm jus pissed that some simple things are not ready to work straight out of the box considering we pay enough for the service.

The Ubee is brand new, in the sense that this is the first time it's been rolled out en masse to users in Ireland. Unfortunately, with that, some teething problems and niggly issues are bound to happen. A pain in the hole for sure but I expect UPC wouldn't be too long sorting it out, considering the huge amount of people who would still be using 10/100 NICs.

Though, to be honest, an issue with Autoneg on FE connections in 2015 is almost laughable. :pac:

• Advertisement

The Ubee is brand new, in the sense that this is the first time it's been rolled out en masse to users in Ireland. Unfortunately, with that, some teething problems and niggly issues are bound to happen. A pain in the hole for sure but I expect UPC wouldn't be too long sorting it out, considering the huge amount of people who would still be using 10/100 NICs.

Though, to be honest, an issue with Autoneg on FE connections in 2015 is almost laughable. :pac:

I wouldn't mind I'm happy with every aspect of the modem except for that one issue and its jus annoying when the help UPC gives me results in them telling me to either check my cables, unplug or reset the modem for the 20th time then do a speed test and get back to them that's jus BS not every problem is fixed by a modem reset and fiddling with cables. I think that's all that half of them know it's frustrating. Sure when I got onto them yesterday they said sorry we don't offer support for Minix devices I said the issue isn't with the Minix it's with the F'in modem.

The switch would connect at 1Gbps to the Ubee and each device connected to the switch having problems with the Ubee would connect at a full 100Mbps.

I deal in the Enterprise field and its starting to become common again. Of course I can just set the switch to 100 Full.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Guys

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I would not hold my breadth on UPC providing a firmware upgrade.
    Do they even accept that it is a problem?
    When the TC7200 was launched it was nearly a year before the firmware was upgraded and you can be sure it was not upgraded for the benefit of their customers!

If you have time have a look at the upc forums in european countries where upc are using this device, and see if there are similiar problems.
    i.e. upc are in Germany, Poland, Romania, TheNetherlands to name a few

WW

I don't want to pay for other parts when a previous modem I had worked fine for me. I think I jus want the Cisco modem back.

Bit of a pain in the face alright that the Ubee does not perform well with 10/100 NICS. I was told a technician would be sent out after i was certain that a few devices would clarify that I'm getting the same speed which is the case only that none of them have gigabit ports. So no point in ringing them back at all about sending out a technician.

So if i did ring them back, is there a specific device that i could ask for as a replacement that would work with 10/100 NICS ?

The switch would connect at 1Gbps to the Ubee and each device connected to the switch having problems with the Ubee would connect at a full 100Mbps. .

Thanks for the reply, i don't really want another device attached to it. I fully understand to get full speeds i would need Gigabit devices but the limitation of the Ubee in this regard ain't good.
    Guys

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I would not hold my breadth on UPC providing a firmware upgrade.
    Do they even accept that it is a problem?

I would imagine they gonna have to do something, surely they must be getting inundated with calls about this issue. Having to upgrade with a third party device such as a switch, router, NIC cards, laptop or desktop to suit it will drive people crazy.

Having been with Eircom NGB , my upload speed is still 15 times faster and download speed is 3 times faster at the minute . But the whole not getting what I'm paying for and having to think about more hardware to suit it is not going down well me at the minute even though I'll still fall short of what i would get with 10/100 NICS on the 120 Mb/s line.

Definitely firmware issue.
    Otherwise this modem rocks when its properly set up.

So what configuration changes have you made?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Done a quick test in the first photo I have a usb gigabyte and I get the full speed of 200MB.
    On the second photo I take out the usb gigabyte and plug the Ethernet cable straight into the laptop 10/100 only and I only get the 30MB.

So there is definitely something wrong with the modem and also the people with the minix x8h boxes only getting the 30Mb with10/100. I have the plus version and I am getting the full 200MB.

7f8b84d6-b4c2-40af-9192-11f169c803d8_zpsldepci1t.jpg
    image.jpg2_zpshy4upmch_1.jpg

wush06 wrote: »
    Done a quick test in the first photo I have a usb gigabyte and I get the full speed of 200MB.
    On the second photo I take out the usb gigabyte and plug the Ethernet cable straight into the laptop 10/100 only and I only get the 30MB.

So there is definitely something wrong with the modem and also the people with the minix x8h boxes only getting the 30Mb with10/100. I have the plus version and I am getting the full 200MB.

Can u post them results in this thread "constant and low standing broadband speeds" I can't post the links. It's like upc don't belive me that I'm having this issue because it's only happening with my minix and not on my laptop which has 10/100/1000 ports on it. They keep telling me to do a test on a laptop with 10/100 ports but I don't have one.

You could post on the UPC talk to and PM the reps your ticket number. They seem fairly on the ball and might be able to escalate it to their internal hardware provider team for investigation.

You could post on the UPC talk to and PM the reps your ticket number. They seem fairly on the ball and might be able to escalate it to their internal hardware provider team for investigation.

I'm on another thread talking to Brian from upc but he tells me he cant provide support for my minix device but the problem isn't with my minix device it's the modem. I have asked wush06 to post his results on that thread to show its not jus with my minix device that the problem is with.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Hey akav05 I think you would be better posting the link from this thread on the other forum so they see this thread in full.
    I done the test few more times and every time on the 10/100 it stops in around the 30MB.

• Advertisement

I just got off the phone to tech support.

I explained the issues to one of them on the phone.

He then said to me the system was down or something and he gonna pass me onto another colleague.

On comes another lad, again i explained the issues.

He more or less said to me 'Tough luck ' unless i have Gigabit capabilities in my equipment.

I asked for another router and he said no, they have none and the one provided is one of the best out there.

I asked is there gonna be some kinda firmware update and again he just said , the Ubee is one of the best out there.

:mad:

So what configuration changes have you made?

Disabled Ipv6 mode ( Dual Stack) , with UPnP enabled and 5ghz wifi is as good as this modem gets. But running on Gigabit ethernet is the only downside.
    If that worked I wouldn't even need to bridge it.

I will also post in UPC section and hopefully we'll get their attention.
    If more people report with the same issue we might get somewhere.

Selling a 240MB broadband is pretty pointless unless they actually specify that this will only work on latest of the latest machines with High ethernet ports, which 70% of people probably don't have.

My neighbour also got upgraded to 240mb, but to his disappointment he's only able to receive up to 40 max due to his 2 year old laptop no supporting the 802.ac and Gigabit ports.

Disabled Ipv6 mode ( Dual Stack) , with UPnP enabled and 5ghz wifi is as good as this modem gets. But running on Gigabit ethernet is the only downside.

Selling a 240MB broadband is pretty pointless unless they actually specify that this will only work on latest of the latest machines with High ethernet ports, which 70% of people probably don't have.

My neighbour also got upgraded to 240mb, but to his disappointment he's only able to receive up to 40 max due to his 2 year old laptop no supporting the 802.ac and Gigabit ports.

Thanks for the tips.

I'll have no problem joining in on the UPC thread if you do.

The first lad in Tech support didn't want to know basically, UPC outsource some support to the Philippines and that sounded like the person i spoke to next.

Off topic but...

The other day I was trying to get through to the cancellation dept. to try and upgrade to a better deal. It took ages waiting so i hung up and ten minutes later on i received a call from a brutal line , barely audible and some fella which i can only assume was from that part of the world was asking who i was, asking how i pronounce my surname and that he was from UPC. It was like one of them calls from the boys that tell you they are from Microsoft and your computer needs attention. It was that bad i just hung up thinking it was someone dodgy and they were gonna ask for payment details or something at the end.

I was just hoping for a smooth upgrade switching from Eircom, i didn't bother with Horizon TV and jut got the Setanta, BT sports etc onto my existing TV package. I filled in the port form yesterday for transferring my number so i'm hoping at least that will go smoothly.

Should be interesting to see what happens with this Ubee issue anyway.

wush06 wrote: »
    Hey akav05 I think you would be better posting the link from this thread on the other forum so they see this thread in full.
    I done the test few more times and every time on the 10/100 it stops in around the 30MB.

It won't let me post links but I gave the upc fella the title of the thread so it shouldn't be a problem for him finding it but no doubt he won't bother looking as he didn't even reply to me.

Jus point me in the right direction and I'll post to my hearts content. I won't except that it's got to do with whatever is connected to the modem when it's plain to see that the problem with the modem. It seems like a great piece of kit but this problem with it not getting full speeds on 10/100 ports is BS if u ask me.

I was jus looking on the Ubee website and it explains what the different lights on the front and back of the modem mean. It says a orange light on the back Ethernet connection means it's connected to a device with 10/100 speeds which mine is and lights up orange to confirm that, so it knows what speeds the connected device is capable of and doesn't say anywhere on the website that it can't reach full speed on a 10/100 connected device so I'm calling bull**** on UPC's part there is something not enabled or outdated firmware or something like that, that we as paying customers are not getting the full potential of our broadband service.

Lads, since this thread is getting cluttered with Ethernet issues with this modem,I raised the issue with UPC on their forum side.

Could all ye with same problems join the parade and hopefully UPC will do something about it.

Thanks

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057372073

Lads, since this thread is getting cluttered with Ethernet issues with this modem,I raised the issue with UPC on their forum side.

Could all ye with same problems join the parade and hopefully UPC will do something about it.

Thanks

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057372073

Just posted there now.

Hopefully something will be done.

Thanks

on the way now to say my peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭j14

Stupid question but how do I find out my username and password to log into this router?
    My Internet connection dumps out every 10 mins and I mean exactly 10 mins. Just want to see if I can log in and maybe change a setting or something. I'm not very technically minded but I have google searched but to no avail.
    Thanks in advance.

Advertisement