Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Ubee EVW3226

Options
  • 13-01-2015 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just had one fitted today , anyone any experience of this router ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Never heard of this brand before, actually thought it was a spelling error in the OP!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Uhhh.. That looks like a nice new modem/router from UPC, lucky you.

Looks like a nice improvement over the current UPC modems. It is a dual radio, 802.11n router that supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz simultaneously. So it should perform better. Still not as good as a high quality standalone router as it has no external antennas, but definitely an improvement.

sharkman, can you confirm some details for us?

Can you activate both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz simultaneously? (basically there will be two different wireless networks running on the router at the same time)

Any sign of an option to bridge the modem? (look in settings).

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

EVW3226

Region icon
    EuroDOCSIS 3.0 cable modem router with embeded MTA, 4 port switch and wireless LAN access point.

8 Downstream channels
    4 Upstream channels
    4 RJ45 ports supporting 10/100/1000 Mbps
    2 Rj11 ports, PacketCable 1.5 Certified
    Dual band 802.11n 2x2 WLAN access point
    1 USB host port
    Dual processor architecture
    IPv6/IPv4 dual stack and DS-Lite
    Wi-FI community features
    NAT router with IPv4/IPv6 firewall
    PC1.5 certified & SIP support

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

The hardware supports it, so unless UPC IE have gimped the firmware, dual-band wireless should work simultaneously. No external aerial though, which is a shame.
    And the stock firmware also supports bridging - UPC NL have firmware that allow it, hopefully UPC IE are the same.

Sharkman, don't leave us in suspense! ;)

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

OK , Looks like I'm the "lucky" guinea pig for this router .
    I've used the following link to enable Bridge mode , although I have had two dropouts since last night . Could not get it to work in Dual mode but will try again later .

Link :http://www.freeture.ch/?p=731

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

sharkman wrote: »
    OK , Looks like I'm the "lucky" guinea pig for this router .
    I've used the following link to enable Bridge mode , although I have had two dropouts since last night . Could not get it to work in Dual mode but will try again later .

Link :http://www.freeture.ch/?p=731

Sweet. Cheers sharkman.

Were you getting any drops before Bridge mode was enabled? Can you post the power levels? (In case there's an external issue)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Sharkman

Another question - what router are you using behind the EVW3226, and is there any options to use a DMZ mode in the firmware?

A lot of people who had Asus routers seemed to get dropouts with the TC7200 when in bridge mode using the hidden menu option.

As regards firmware versions in NL, PL, or CH devices, do not assume we in Ireland will get the same - this was the same issue we had when the TC7200 started being issued, firmware was not updated for nearly a year.

Plentry of discussion on foreign UPC forums, if you want to spend time reading translated pages.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Sharkman

Another question - what router are you using behind the EVW3226, and is there any options to use a DMZ mode in the firmware?

A lot of people who had Asus routers seemed to get dropouts with the TC7200 when in bridge mode using the hidden menu option.

As regards firmware versions in NL, PL, or CH devices, do not assume we in Ireland will get the same - this was the same issue we had when the TC7200 started being issued, firmware was not updated for nearly a year.

Plentry of discussion on foreign UPC forums, if you want to spend time reading translated pages.

I'm using a ASUS RT-N56U behind it , as for DMZ I haven't had a chance to look . I'll be home later and will post results .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Never heard of this brand before, actually thought it was a spelling error in the OP!:rolleyes:

They were originally branded as Ambit and they were among the first suppliers of cable modems back in the early ntl:home days.

Pretty common in the USA but not so much in Europe - until now at least.

roast wrote: »
    Sweet. Cheers sharkman.

Were you getting any drops before Bridge mode was enabled? Can you post the power levels? (In case there's an external issue)

Just reset to factory settings , I cant get it to run in dual mode , when I switch on 5GHz it switches 2.4 off .

Now how do I post power levels ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Just reset to factory settings , I cant get it to run in dual mode , when I switch on 5GHz it switches 2.4 off .

Now how do I post power levels ?

Does this model defo have concurrent dual band?

Power levels should be under the Status section, it's the downstream (8 channels) & upstream (4 channels) power and snr levels. It's just to see if the drop outs are a result of poor levels (bad coax or network problems) or other issues (i.e. bridging via the hidden asp).

Dave..M wrote: »

Power levels should be under the Status section, it's the downstream (8 channels) & upstream (4 channels) power and snr levels. It's just to see if the drop outs are a result of poor levels (bad coax or network problems) or other issues (i.e. bridging via the hidden asp).

Upstream Channel Status

Transmitter # Channel ID Lock Status Frequency Modulation Symbol Rate Channel Type Power
    1 4 Locked 61600000 16QAM 5120000 ATDMA 46.00 dBmV
    2 2 Locked 44000000 16QAM 5120000 ATDMA 47.75 dBmV
    3 3 Locked 55200000 16QAM 5120000 ATDMA 47.25 dBmV
    4 1 Locked 36000000 16QAM 5120000 ATDMA 47.75 dBmV

Downstream Channel Status

Receiver # Channel ID Lock Status Frequency Modulation Symbol Rate SNR Power
    1 1 Locked 482000000 256 QAM 6952000 35.973 dB 9.49 dBmV
    2 2 Locked 490000000 256 QAM 6952000 36.175 dB 9.39 dBmV
    3 3 Locked 498000000 256 QAM 6952000 36.175 dB 9.40 dBmV
    4 Locked 506000000 256 QAM 6952000 36.175 dB 9.22 dBmV
    9 Locked 682000000 256 QAM 6952000 36.175 dB 10.55 dBmV
    11 Locked 698000000 256 QAM 6952000 36.175 dB 9.76 dBmV
    12 Locked 706000000 256 QAM 6952000 36.175 dB 9.56 dBmV
    13 Locked 714000000 256 QAM 6952000 36.387 dB 10.08 dBmV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I'm hoping this is UPC listening to all the people asking for bridge mode....

Upstream Channel Status

Transmitter # Channel ID Lock Status Frequency Modulation Symbol Rate Channel Type Power
    1 4 Locked 61600000 16QAM 5120000 ATDMA 46.00 dBmV
    2 2 Locked 44000000 16QAM 5120000 ATDMA 47.75 dBmV
    3 3 Locked 55200000 16QAM 5120000 ATDMA 47.25 dBmV
    4 1 Locked 36000000 16QAM 5120000 ATDMA 47.75 dBmV

Downstream Channel Status

Receiver # Channel ID Lock Status Frequency Modulation Symbol Rate SNR Power
    1 1 Locked 482000000 256 QAM 6952000 35.973 dB 9.49 dBmV
    2 2 Locked 490000000 256 QAM 6952000 36.175 dB 9.39 dBmV
    3 3 Locked 498000000 256 QAM 6952000 36.175 dB 9.40 dBmV
    4 Locked 506000000 256 QAM 6952000 36.175 dB 9.22 dBmV
    9 Locked 682000000 256 QAM 6952000 36.175 dB 10.55 dBmV
    11 Locked 698000000 256 QAM 6952000 36.175 dB 9.76 dBmV
    12 Locked 706000000 256 QAM 6952000 36.175 dB 9.56 dBmV
    13 Locked 714000000 256 QAM 6952000 36.387 dB 10.08 dBmV

Downstream Power levels look high (optimal is 0 with +/- 10 in spec and snr is on the low side (ideally around 40 but above 35) and the upstream is a bit high (low mid 40's is best), prob wouldn't take much to cause issues, maybe in the evenings when traffic is higher. Is the line old, do you have any splitters between the external tap and the router?

Downstream Power levels look high (optimal is 0 with +/- 10 in spec and snr is on the low side (ideally around 40 but above 35) and the upstream is a bit high (low mid 40's is best), prob wouldn't take much to cause issues, maybe in the evenings when traffic is higher. Is the line old, do you have any splitters between the external tap and the router?

Line was updated with no splitters yesterday on installation .

Line was updated with no splitters yesterday on installation .

Well docsis 3 is less susceptible to the old 'noise on the line' of some of their older equipment so I'm sure the installer was happy with the stats otherwise he'd have fitted an attenuator, if you do get drops though check the stats around the time (particularly to see if it is resync'ing from loosing connection) below is a link to some useful info.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3692

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭duckndive

I had one installed today as having numerous problems since upgrading from 120Mbs to 240Mbs despite numerous service calls and cable checks, so thought the new router would solve the problem. I gave up my old bridged Cisco which was hard to do :-(

It has got dualband as stated but it is not concurrent so looks like its a singe radio access point that can operate in either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz but not at the same time.

The signal coverage exceeds the Cisco some much have a larger DBi antennae output level. But it still is poor in performance when matched up with a third party N type wireless AP/router. I would recommend using a third party AC compatible access point, if not used for gaming or VPN I wouldn't bother with bridging it.

My problem was I only had four downstream channels locking on on my Cisco and could never attain the full download speed, even when wired to a Gigabit port using a Cat 6 cable. I can still only get the four downstream channels as opposed to the eight I should be getting even on this new router.

I sent screen caps to tech support,(who said they couldn't read them????), I also showed their cable tech today who said he would raise it to the next support level as he has never seen this before. I told him I have for the past four years :-) Can't fault the cabling lads service they have been spot on, I just need to get to the right support people.

The EVW3226 is a more powerful router but still the wireless performance is still lacking even when legacy b/g is turned off at 2.4Ghz. Aesthetically it also is quite big so takes up a larger footprint than the old Cisco models.

As said it hasn't solved my problems but that's not down to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭duckndive

Apologies for the duplicated posts, don't know why? I have asked them to be removed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

duckndive wrote: »
    Apologies for the duplicated posts, don't know why? I have asked them to be removed.

Deleted, though FYI you could delete them yourself using the Edit button on each post.

Thanks for the info on the new modem. While it seems to be an improvement, still not really what we are looking for to finally properly fix UPC's wifi performance.

I think we will need a dual channel, dual radio AC model to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Good news on the bridging option. Besides improved wifi I think that a lot of people who get high speed broadband also play games so it makes sense that they can use their own router to prevent their gaming traffic getting choked by other people in the house uploading. I chose where I live based on UPC coverage (sounds crazy I know) but if I can't use my own router then I'd have to switch ISP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

bk wrote: »
    Uhhh.. That looks like a nice new modem/router from UPC, lucky you.

Looks like a nice improvement over the current UPC modems. It is a dual radio, 802.11n router that supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz simultaneously. So it should perform better. Still not as good as a high quality standalone router as it has no external antennas, but definitely an improvement.

sharkman, can you confirm some details for us?

Can you activate both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz simultaneously? (basically there will be two different wireless networks running on the router at the same time)

Any sign of an option to bridge the modem? (look in settings).
    Cheers

I got one of these recently and unfortunately, no, you can only have 2.4GHz or 5GHz radio active at once not both :(. It's a crying shame because that would seem to be a basic function.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Kensington wrote: »
    They were originally branded as Ambit and they were among the first suppliers of cable modems back in the early ntl:home days.

Pretty common in the USA but not so much in Europe - until now at least.

Oh really? That's very interesting, cheers for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 TangoVictor 31

Hi

I got one of these routers on sat but since then I've had speed issues with it. Technician came out yesterday checked everything and ran tests and reckons the problem is outside, he forwarded it to the line team to look into. Speeds I've been getting, 30-50 down 25 up laptop wired directly phone/tab wireless 30-40 down 20up. I'm on 240 limitless.

Being a novice i'm looking to see if anyone knows if a black vpn plug in router (sorry cant post link) will work (without massive technical input from me) on upc ubee router, just want it for my freesat players.

Thanks for any help !

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jodina2

i have recently received one of these ubee evw3226 as i upgraded to 240mb last saturday and since then im only getting up to 30mb from it and a technician said that my line coming int my place has a great singnal, almost to great so these boxs must no be up to it.im ringing upc everyday and they just keep saying ring back tommorow. when i upgraded shouldnt the speeds switch straight away from when i upgraded or does it take a few days to come through

jodina2 wrote: »
    i have recently received one of these ubee evw3226 as i upgraded to 240mb last saturday and since then im only getting up to 30mb from it and a technician said that my line coming int my place has a great singnal, almost to great so these boxs must no be up to it.im ringing upc everyday and they just keep saying ring back tommorow. when i upgraded shouldnt the speeds switch straight away from when i upgraded or does it take a few days to come through

Sounds like you are still on your old profile of 30mb/s UPC need to switch the profile to 240mb/s Probably takes two days to go ahead, you should keep calling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

jodina2 wrote: »

I would post in the UPC forum, they can check your profile and it saves ringing constantly(also generally there very helpful and seem to be better at doing things than the phone support guys can be)

bk wrote: »
    Sounds like you are still on your old profile of 30mb/s UPC need to switch the profile to 240mb/s Probably takes two days to go ahead, you should keep calling them.
    thanks for your help i ll keep ringing them,its almost a week since i upgraded so im thinking it should of happened by now

I would post in the UPC forum, they can check your profile and it saves ringing constantly(also generally there very helpful and seem to be better at doing things than the phone support guys can be)

thanks for your help Dave already done that. hopefully ill get sorted soon,

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

I've used the link:

http://192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/setup.cgi?gonext=RgSystemSwitchMode

I set it to bridge mode and the box reboots but it comes back up and its still in router mode and when I look at the page its back to router mode.

Its EVW3226_1.0.15c version so maybe thats an issue.

• Advertisement

bricks wrote: »
    I've used the link:

http://192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/setup.cgi?gonext=RgSystemSwitchMode

I set it to bridge mode and the box reboots but it comes back up and its still in router mode and when I look at the page its back to router mode.

Its EVW3226_1.0.15c version so maybe thats an issue.

I'm on the same FW ,when it reboots a new tab appears , choose bridge mode and "save" , It will reboot again and be in bridge once it backup and running .

http://www.freeture.ch/?p=731

Advertisement