Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Sweeping-Brush Microphone, 1960-ish

• 10-09-2014 6:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭

With all the monies from the TV licence and adverts RTE get, how on earth in this day and age have they not progressed to wireless microphones ? Am I missing something ? or am I still living in the 1960's ?.

You have this guy in the red tee-shirt craning a long looking sweeping-brush thing with a woolly shoe looking thing at the end of it holding it over the audience's heads. I don't get it. Wouldn't a few wireless microphone transceivers do it better incase it drops on their heads ?. Is this 1960 or 2014 ? where is the new technology, or should I say 'old technology' and why are RTE workers still using sweeping brushes to record the sound-voice ?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Can't believe it's 1960 and they still haven't found a cure for Alzheimers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

They should give every audience member a microphone just in case they want to contribute?
    Or the guy in the tee shirt should be making his way through the audience delivering a wireless mic whenever someone wants to speak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Phoebas wrote: »
    They should give every audience member a microphone just in case they want to contribute?
    Or the guy in the tee shirt should be making his way through the audience delivering a wireless mic whenever someone wants to speak?

All they have to do is clip on a wireless mic to the persons that will be speaking in the show, it's pre-setup on who can ask questions, so clip on the mic and switch it on when that particular persons time comes to speak.

The gigantic tower-pole is a bit crazy looking these days on live tv, the poor feller is there holding out a huge pole as if he was trying to catch a fish, it's just not on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

All they have to do is clip on a wireless mic to the persons that will be speaking in the show, it's pre-setup on who can ask questions, so clip on the mic and switch it on when that particular persons time comes to speak.

The gigantic tower-pole is a bit crazy looking these days on live tv, the poor feller is there holding out a huge pole as if he was trying to catch a fish, it's just not on.

It is on. You can hear them perfectly!

Another draconian invention here... A Thirzt Ball ? WTF.

Needing a bottle of water I entered the fridge to see this thirzt-ball water thing, slightly larger than my salt cellar, either things are getting smaller in my peripheral vision, or I'm going crazy ?.

One slurp and it's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

With all the monies from the TV licence and adverts RTE get, how on earth in this day and age have they not progressed to wireless microphones ? Am I missing something ? or am I still living in the 1960's ?.

You have this guy in the red tee-shirt craning a long looking sweeping-brush thing with a woolly shoe looking thing at the end of it holding it over the audience's heads. I don't get it. Wouldn't a few wireless microphone transceivers do it better incase it drops on their heads ?. Is this 1960 or 2014 ? where is the new technology, or should I say 'old technology' and why are RTE workers still using sweeping brushes to record the sound-voice ?.

Transceiver? What exactly do you want to send back to the mic?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There can be a lot of issues with interference. I was working a gig once and a DJ in a club below us, his head phones signal was coming through one of our mics. Who the fúck needs wireless headphones to sync a beat between 2 songs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The "wooly thing" is actually pretty integral in ensuring you only pick up the right sounds on the mic, and the use of a boom mic is to avoid having to wire every single potential speaker with a wireless mic, battery pack, etc. This is entirely normal in TV, not some relic of the 60s.

MYOB wrote: »
    The "wooly thing" is actually pretty integral in ensuring you only pick up the right sounds on the mic, and the use of a boom mic is to avoid having to wire every single potential speaker with a wireless mic, battery pack, etc. This is entirely normal in TV, not some relic of the 60s.

But it is a relic of the 1960's. Surely they can devise something better than having a man running around stretching out this huge long pole, it's ancient looking.

The wireless microphone is a transceiver, so I don't know what the other poster was going on about. Like I said, each individual microphone would only be turned on when it's their time to speak, it's very basic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Don't they use all the money to pay massive wages, You know to the people who would go to the BBC or were ever. Even though the BBC or whoever would never have heard of them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

But he's not wearing a tee-shirt.

Your entire post is null and void now.

Shame. It could have been something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

as MYOB says above the boom mic is one of the best mics for recording sound - its very tricky to operate correctly in studio , a skilled art.

Like saying why do some photographer still shoot on film , sometimes old is just better, regardless of modern advancements

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

Am I the only person who sniggered at 'stretching out his big long pole? '

Probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

thebaz wrote: »
    as MYOB says above the boom mic is one of the best mics for recording sound - its very tricky to operate correctly in studio , a skilled art.

Like saying why do some photographer still shoot on film , sometimes old is just better, regardless of modern advancements

Would that be the same mic they use on the RTE news channel that is to loud and crackles ? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

They shouldn't change it just because you don't know how technology works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Would that be the same mic they use on the RTE news channel that is to loud and crackles ? :pac:

I'm pretty sure they use lavalier microphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

They shouldn't change it just because you don't know how technology works.

There was a thread in the amateur radio forum a while back about a neighbour complaining about a large antenna someone had put onto their roof. The neighbour reckoned that due to obvious advances in technology he could use a small parabolic dish instead. Even for low frequency omnidirectional stuff.

Maybe the crowd in RTE should replace their mics with iPhone 6's connected via wifi, everyone knows that all the components in an iPhone are perfect and iPhones can be used to replace anything that was made in the pre-iPhone era

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

The boom mic is the number one choice for audio recording in TV and film production, you'd be hard-pressed to find a professional TV/film crew on location anywhere that doesn't use one of these guys.

Aside from the superior audio quality, it gives the speaker a lot more flexibility within the shot - if they turn around or face out of the frame, they sound natural, as opposed to that horrible 'off mic' sound you can get if a guest makes a sudden move and it's not caught by the wireless mic and they have no overhead boom.

Boom operator is not as easy a job as it seems though - positioning is key to getting the best audio, usually just out of shot above the frame-line and in the centre of the frame. And those fcukers are finicky and hard to keep in place, you really don't want a case of the DTs if you're booming a live shot. I tried it once when our sound guy had gone MIA coming up to a live outside broadcast, thinking, 'pffft, piece of piss', unbenownst to me there was what looked like a furry little ferret hovering overhead of a prominent politician's head for the duration of the broadcast...ooops...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'm pretty sure they use lavalier microphones.

yeah , no need for a boom in a newsroom with 1 or 2 people , just wire em up - in a studio with a crowd , boom mic makes perfect sense

Fair enough, there are some good answers here. It just seems a clumsy tool to use these days, but if it does the job better than the new tech we have now, then ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

A mic itself cannot be too loud.

Only the levels that the mic is recording at.

It's not the mic's fault, just the person who's doing the recording.

Advertisement