Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Tara/Kilmessan Area of Meath?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

kd82 wrote: »
    Eircom running a competition to beat the rush fibrerollout dot ie / competition

75 days to go.
    Fancy getting a meet up organised and putting together a proposal?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Yep, I'll gladly get involved. I see two reasonsto this competition.

1. Just the competition and a lucky winning town.

2. Eircom indirectly getting a list of areas where the communities are really interested in fibre - and ultimately getting a maximum number of subscribers for any future investment.

For both reasons, we should get involved.

Where do we start?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Colm R wrote: »
    Yep, I'll gladly get involved. I see two reasonsto this competition.

1. Just the competition and a lucky winning town.

2. Eircom indirectly getting a list of areas where the communities are really interested in fibre - and ultimately getting a maximum number of subscribers for any future investment.

For both reasons, we should get involved.

Where do we start?
    There show casing there reason why they should win the NBP and what it can do for rural Ireland remember the tender in early 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kd82

niallb wrote: »
    75 days to go.
    Fancy getting a meet up organised and putting together a proposal?

Yes, I'd be up for it. The only thing is are we all considered separate townlands? Or do you think a joint effort from Tara/Kilmessan area would cover a few of them as one entry?

E.g. Castletown, Tara is only 43 houses on the DCNR site:
    dcenr dot gov dot ie/Communications/National+Broadband+Plan/Broadband/County+and+Townland+Maps

kd82 wrote: »
    Yes, I'd be up for it. The only thing is are we all considered separate townlands? Or do you think a joint effort from Tara/Kilmessan area would cover a few of them as one entry?

E.g. Castletown, Tara is only 43 houses on the DCNR site:
    dcenr dot gov dot ie/Communications/National+Broadband+Plan/Broadband/County+and+Townland+Maps
    Well Tara on there list, it has to be townlands on NBP area.it can be a village with no more than 800 houses.I would try team up with Kiltale and see what other townlands which are close.

• Advertisement

Mail back from Eircom -

Further to your email. The competition is not restricted to one entry per townland. The Competition is based on a community entry, so a community can in fact represent more than one townland.

If I can give you an example – The Belcarra trial, the trial route actually starts in Belcarra but incorporates the townlands of Lakeland and Manulla – this is because the road route we choice plus the road spurs off that route went through all three townlands.

Also please be mindful that should your entry incorporate more than one townland and your community entry is the winner, the route selected and the premises within that route will be dependent on the technical survey. To give an estimate we will include up to 100 / 150 premises within the trial.

The trial is not about size it is more about the community and what broadband can deliver in terms of benefits to that community.

I think the core area to concentrate on would be Kilmessan, stretching to Dunsany, Kiltale, and Bective.
    I seem to remember seeing a map showing a backbone to pretty much pass through Kilmessan, but I can't find it right now,
    and that might lower the cost of providing it to the area which is probably a bonus.

Those in Tara and Belper are so much closer to the Tara exchange that they're more likely to get eFibre or similar.

@colm r, @kd82, @rob808, @dr nick, @anyone-else - Fancy a short get together later in the week?
    There's ideas that could grow faster face to face than on boards, but plenty can happen here too!

@niallb Yeah i'd be around Thursday if that suited. Not sure i'd be in that catchment you're talking of but worth having a chat anyway and see what can be done together.

Thursday's not good for me this week, but usually handy enough.
    Anyone else?

Thursday's not good for me this week, but usually handy enough.
    Anyone else?
    Well I'm in Basketstown which is close to summerhill not far from Kiltale so don't know how far Eircom would go?

• Advertisement

yep I'm about - most of the time!

Where will we meet? Fergies?

Fergies probably fairly central for most of us.
    I'd be happy with that.

rob808 wrote: »
    Well I'm in Basketstown which is close to summerhill not far from Kiltale so don't know how far Eircom would go?
    It's as near to me as I am to Kilmessan, though I think you'd be on a different exchange. Have you tried out Ripplecom down that way?

It's as near to me as I am to Kilmessan, though I think you'd be on a different exchange. Have you tried out Ripplecom down that way?
    Nah wouldn't touch ripplecom I'm on a 4mb DSL line the price they charge and the packages aren't great there download allowance terrible and I really hope there not part of the NBP.

There's no DSL at all in Kiltale, so you're definitely on a different exchange :-)
    I'm spending between €70 and €160 a month on 3G/4G between various packages and providers, and at those kind of prices Ripplecom's equivalent packages say they've unlimited traffic.
    I'm on a 4mb DSL line the price they charge and the packages aren't great there download allowance terrible and I really hope there not part of the NBP.

There's no DSL at all in Kiltale, so you're definitely on a different exchange :-)
    I'm spending between €70 and €160 a month on 3G/4G between various packages and providers, and at those kind of prices Ripplecom's equivalent packages say they've unlimited traffic.
    Ripplecom aren't unlimited doh regional broadband are why don't you get fixed wireless it be cheaper than mobile.I'm on summerhill exchange.

Ripplecom aren't unlimited doh regional broadband are why don't you get fixed wireless it be cheaper than mobile.
    Ripplecom's business plans are sold as unlimited, and from €60+VAT.
    I had them on the roof last year, and unfortunately they couldn't get a signal.
    I'm probably going to get Louis Doyle back up there with an extension to the mast and try again. If anyone can find the signal he will. Ripplecom only tried from roof height, but there was barely any signal from either nearby mast due to the contours of the land and trees.

Do you know anyone nearby with Regional Broadband?
    Their website is copyright 2011, but if they're still offering the refer a friend bonus, I'd rather somebody got it.

The application for the Eircom competition isn't just about getting a faster connection available in the area. It's about recognising what better internet access can mean for a community when everybody has that access.

Ripplecom's business plans are sold as unlimited, and from €60+VAT.
    I had them on the roof last year, and unfortunately they couldn't get a signal.
    I'm probably going to get Louis Doyle back up there with an extension to the mast and try again. If anyone can find the signal he will. Ripplecom only tried from roof height, but there was barely any signal from either nearby mast due to the contours of the land and trees.

Do you know anyone nearby with Regional Broadband?
    Their website is copyright 2011, but if they're still offering the refer a friend bonus, I'd rather somebody got it.

The application for the Eircom competition isn't just about getting a faster connection available in the area. It's about recognising what better internet access can mean for a community when everybody has that access.
    This is why we need Eircom or siro to win the NBP because not everybody can get fixed wireless plus don't think they be able even to offer 30mb to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gaz1

Hi folks, I just moved to the Kiltale area and spotted this thread! We are struggling to find a Broadband provider, does anyone have any advice or experience of broadband providers serving this area or should we just sit tight and wait for the Eircom eFibre rollout (whenever that will happen)...

gaz1 wrote: »
    Hi folks, I just moved to the Kiltale area and spotted this thread! We are struggling to find a Broadband provider, does anyone have any advice or experience of broadband providers serving this area or should we just sit tight and wait for the Eircom eFibre rollout (whenever that will happen)...
    well there ripplecom and regional broadband there both fixed wireless don't know if there any good doh they give you basic broadband.There also mobile 4G but low download cap but good if your just surfing the net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 gaz1

well there ripplecom and regional broadband there both fixed wireless don't know if there any good doh they give you basic broadband.There also mobile 4G but low download cap but good if your just surfing the net.

Thank you rob808, I will check out those providers. Have you any idea of the timeline for Eircom eFibre rollout from Trim Town to Kiltale?

gaz1 wrote: »
    Thank you rob808, I will check out those providers. Have you any idea of the timeline for Eircom eFibre rollout from Trim Town to Kiltale?
    I don't think you can get DSL in Kiltale you have to wait till the NBP start in mid 2016 and finish by 2020.we should be able to get upto 30mb and 6mb up it going to tender and the two big player be bidding Eircom and siro which if they win they give us FTTH doh fixed wireless would be bidding to doh hope they get none of it or just very small part.

Well I rang Regional Broadband, and they said that there was a mistake on their website and they don't provide broadband anywhere in Meath.
    Anyone here using it? The guy on the phone seemed very unsure about pretty much anything he said.

I just got a call from a friend in Kilmessan who also heard about the Eircom competition.
    She's organised a small number of people to meet in Fergies tonight at 8:30.
    We're going to head up to it, and it would be good to meet anyone else who's been following the thread in the area.
    Closing date is 15th Sept, so there'd be a lot to do in the next month.
    Many hands make light work :-)

Hey Niall

I was away myself. Can you let us know if there is another meeting, and if more help is needed?

Hi Colm.
    I didn't get any notifications about this thread that I noticed, so sorry not to check in for so long.
    A group of people did get together and circulated a survey, interviewed local businesses, recorded a song and made a video!

There's some details on the meetings in the Updates section of WeWantThePower.com and the final video submission and case studies will be up there next week also.

Touch base on the website or the facebook page it links to if you see this.
    The competition was extended out to next week for some reason.

Hi Colm.
    I didn't get any notifications about this thread that I noticed, so sorry not to check in for so long.
    A group of people did get together and circulated a survey, interviewed local businesses, recorded a song and made a video!

There's some details on the meetings in the Updates section of WeWantThePower.com and the final video submission and case studies will be up there next week also.

Touch base on the website or the facebook page it links to if you see this.
    The competition was extended out to next week for some reason.
    kilmessan and Kiltale are getting FTTH of eir from 2017 and 2020 it on the eir NGA map were and when follow the rural fibre routes.That some nice work the page look great shame I couldn't had being part of it.

kilmessan and Kiltale are getting FTTH of eir from 2017 and 2020 it on the eir NGA map were and when follow the rural fibre routes.That some nice work the page look great shame I couldn't had being part of it.

Great credit deserved to all the people involved. The competition along with the separate announcement that the Tara exchange is included in the list of 66 surely markets our area as one that will have a very high take up of fibre plans.
    2017 to 2020 - ah I'm willing to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Very impressive - well done to all.

Well, the competition just closed on Eir's website.
    We got our submission in yesterday, so we'll know in the next couple of weeks if we have a future in the 21st century :rolleyes:

You can see the video we made, and some case studies of local businesses as well as the results of our survey at wewantthepower.com

And if we don't win, that'll be where we'll focus on other ways to bring improved internet access into the area, so bookmark it if you're nearby!

• Advertisement

Well, the competition just closed on Eir's website.
    We got our submission in yesterday, so we'll know in the next couple of weeks if we have a future in the 21st century :rolleyes:

You can see the video we made, and some case studies of local businesses as well as the results of our survey at wewantthepower.com

And if we don't win, that'll be where we'll focus on other ways to bring improved internet access into the area, so bookmark it if you're nearby!

Well done Niall and to all involved. We have a lot going for us.

Advertisement