Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed wireless vs Eir(com) for gaming

Options
  • 10-10-2015 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭

Currently sharing 2.5 mb download between 5 adults with eircom.

Was looking to get my own connection (2nd connection in house) as i cant enjoy playing online games anymore(like destiny,fifa etc)

Would fixed wireless be a good solution? And reliable?
    Their is a local company that offer 10/1.5 down/up with a 200gb limit.

I think the mast is probably around 10-12 km away as the crow flies.

Question is, Would fixed wireless give my a good connection for gaming and would it solve my lag problems?

Thanks
    Ross

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Reliability(lack of jitter) is more important than speed for gaming. If the WISP oversubscribes youll see lots of jitter and delays. Assume your current line is consistent, a second line would probably be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

ED E wrote: »
    Reliability(lack of jitter) is more important than speed for gaming. If the WISP oversubscribes youll see lots of jitter and delays. Assume your current line is consistent, a second line would probably be better.

Yeh i was thinking of a 2nd line aswell, but even when im the only person using my current connection , its still unplayable 80% of the time.

I might ask some of the neighbours if they use the WISP, thing is though, i dont think any of them do

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Yeh i was thinking of a 2nd line aswell, but even when im the only person using my current connection , its still unplayable 80% of the time.

I might ask some of the neighbours if they use the WISP, thing is though, i dont think any of them do

What exchange is it? The exchange itself may be wireless, and if so you want to steer way clear of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

ED E wrote: »
    What exchange is it? The exchange itself may be wireless, and if so you want to steer way clear of it.

Ill pm you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

You will have to check with the WISP as to what pings you should expect in your location as pings vary depending on the transmission technology. Also get a site survey by them before signing up so you can get actual results.

I was with WISP that had very low pings on their 2.4GHz gear but the connection wasnt good enough to get decent speeds so i ended up on their 5Ghz gear that was faster but couldnt provide a ping lower than 100ms. Ended up cancelling because of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement