Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quit Job before signing Contract

Options
  • 30-05-2015 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm just looking for some advice. I am a single parent on OPF payment. I got a job 4 weeks ago and told SW. They said to notify them I started, send in my first payslip and send back the forms for FIS. I was working for 2 weeks and 2 days! It was fortnightly pay and I started in middle of the fortnight so got one weeks wages. I went back the next week and then 2 days this weeks but I had to leave because the employer was a right horrible nasty piece of work and gave me a going over at every opportunity she could, to the point where I was in tears. I quit on Tuesday and was due to be paid yesterday. I should be getting 7 days pay. I had no contract signed though and Didn't give any notice of leaving just sent her an email telling her the reasons why I was leaving. I hadn't set back the nessecary documents to SW because I just didn't get around to it (Thank god now) so still got my SW payment for the 2 weeks I was there. The issue is not with social welfare though because if they ask any thing I think ill say the job fell through. BUT is there any obligation on the employers side to pay me for the 7 days I worked (8:30 am Until 5pm) if there was no contact signed or no notice to quit given! Would any one have any advice at all! It's over €500 for the 7 days and could do with an extra bit of money at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You can't get your social welfare for the 2 weeks and your wages. That's called fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Laoislion8383

You will have to tell social welfare that u started but left for that reason they will require your p45 to prove you have left and proof of what u earned while working as you are on a means tested payment and will def have being overpayrd, if u don't tell them they will find out when your PRSI returns go back. As for your employer paying you they have to pay you up to the day u worked and for every hour you worked simple as that, you not handing in your notice has nothing to do with pay? You worked and therefore have to be paid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Goat Paddock

I think if you are terminated you can get the dole during your one months notice period, but not if you leave voluntarily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Goat Paddock

But that is irrelevant sorry did not read post properly. get proof you worked and give back what you got from welfare assuming you get paid from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was in a similar boat years ago and quit after 2 weeks.SW just classed it as temporary work.
    I had a helpful staff member in SW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

As other have said. You should be paid the days you worked. You should tell SW and you should *not* have received dole, so you'll have to give back what you owe.

How were you as an employee? Were you on time and did you work hard? What kind of work was it?

Crazy that some employers just use their position to go on a power trip and be abusive.

Advertisement