Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Show - 24th May 2013

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

When it comes to tubs and the late late, RTE have an excuse for everything. In this case, ie not being as good as norton, the excuse is "but they have a larger license fee paying public, we could not afford those guests......"

B0llox...
    If tubs had the same guests Norton had this week it would have been like this....

"any irish in you?.. Will ..i'd say you were the messer down the back of the class, (ignores Heather graham)....michael tell us all about your cancer and your wifes recent illness, will.... will ya do the dance???"

the fact is replace tubs (not with miriam) and you have already improved the show.

Friday's show was better than average for this season. This was simply because the b-rate actors, boybands and sports personalities were kept to a minimum and there was no talk about celeb babies for a change!

I agree that Tubridy needs to be replaced and that would improve it. Because even when Tubridy has an interesting guest, he manages to mess up the interview and turn it into something silly.

The worst part of last Friday's show was the interview with these 2 from this Chelsea thing. This is typical Tubridy fare and is the type of content that made up 90% of this season. These type of guests have little to offer. But Tubridy seems to only be comfortable when he is talking to these types. In the next few days, we will know what's in store for the final Tubridy of this year: could we have some Ro and Ruby with a little Twink for good measure!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

When it comes to tubs and the late late, RTE have an excuse for everything. In this case, ie not being as good as norton, the excuse is "but they have a larger license fee paying public, we could not afford those guests......"

B0llox...
    If tubs had the same guests Norton had this week it would have been like this....

"any irish in you?.. Will ..i'd say you were the messer down the back of the class, (ignores Heather graham)....michael tell us all about your cancer and your wifes recent illness, will.... will ya do the dance???"

the fact is replace tubs (not with miriam) and you have already improved the show.

Part of his pay agreement must be to ask any celebrity who isn't Irish if they have some Irish connection, the bog standard go to LL question.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Friday's show was better than average for this season. This was simply because the b-rate actors, boybands and sports personalities were kept to a minimum and there was no talk about celeb babies for a change!

I agree that Tubridy needs to be replaced and that would improve it. Because even when Tubridy has an interesting guest, he manages to mess up the interview and turn it into something silly.

The worst part of last Friday's show was the interview with these 2 from this Chelsea thing. This is typical Tubridy fare and is the type of content that made up 90% of this season. These type of guests have little to offer. But Tubridy seems to only be comfortable when he is talking to these types. In the next few days, we will know what's in store for the final Tubridy of this year: could we have some Ro and Ruby with a little Twink for good measure!
    Bang on...so why is he foisted on us like the irish paxman?? I Could never figure this out...he was on 700,000 euro at one point!!

Ian dempsey was such a visionary when called out tubs on day one!!

krudler wrote: »
    Part of his pay agreement must be to ask any celebrity who isn't Irish if they have some Irish connection, the bog standard go to LL question.

He indeed asks this question over and over to all his guests. It takes care of around 10 minutes of chat.

Bang on...so why is he foisted on us like the irish paxman?? I Could never figure this out...he was on 700,000 euro at one point!!

Ian dempsey was such a visionary when called out tubs on day one!!

He also rose up out of nowhere. 10 years ago, you would not be aware of who Ryan Tubridy even was and then in 2004 he hits the bigtime with Tubridy Tonight before taking over from Pat Kenny in 2009 on fridays. His sudden rise saw him overtake more established RTE people incl. Miriam O'Callaghan, the late Gerry Ryan, Ray D'arcy, Ian Dempsey and many many others. It took Pat Kenny many years to rise up to the top in RTE and Gay Byrne worked hard to gain his and the station's status and Gay never enjoyed the income stability of later RTE stars. For Tubridy, it was handed on a plate to him: he was only in the door and was given opportunities that took Pat Kenny and others 10 years to earn. Why is this the case? Tubridy is indeed connected to ex RTE boss and very much politically connected too. That's why he can get away with being a poor host.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxKazpmWNQ4

LLS v Graham Norton.....

Hilarious take on things.....

check out the late late gift grub podcast ...sums it all up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

highly1111 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxKazpmWNQ4

LLS v Graham Norton.....

Hilarious take on things.....

Oh FFS thats no even funny whats wrong with watching how our own traditional dancing is spreading around the world the stuff on GN was just mayhem anyway who thinks that kind of stuff is good and its certainly very alien to what I would expect our national broadcaster to be showing so GN can keep that for his own show no problem and who was the guy on the right anyway his dancing was truly woeful looks terrible uncoordinated the LLS/Ryan bashing bandwagon has to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Almaviva wrote: »
    the LLS/Ryan bashing bandwagon has to stop
    And then what would happen to this fantastic thread? We already have a long hungry Tubridy-free summer ahead of us. Please don't take away our small pleasures.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Not sure if I really want to revisit last week's grim fare, but here goes ...
    FORMER Fair City star Jean Costello was "disgusted" that she wasn't interviewed during a tribute to Jim Bartley on the Late Late Show.

Jean and Jim played Rita and Bela Doyle and starred alongside each other for more than two decades on Fair City.

Although she was in the audience on the night, Jean was stunned when her character Rita was not referred to once.

http://www.herald.ie/news/fair-city-star-im-disgusted-at-late-late-29302992.html

It did seem slightly odd that his former on-screen wife wasn't interviewed, but I think Jean Costello is wrong to go complaining to the Papers.

That's showbiz, sometimes plans change during live TV. The interview was too long anyway without bringing more people on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I'd say the Late Late producers were worried that the audience wouldnt be able to translate her bell ringing..

Skid X wrote: »
    Not sure if I really want to revisit last week's grim fare, but here goes ...

http://www.herald.ie/news/fair-city-star-im-disgusted-at-late-late-29302992.html

It did seem slightly odd that his former on-screen wife wasn't interviewed, but I think Jean Costello is wrong to go complaining to the Papers.

That's showbiz, sometimes plans change during live TV. The interview was too long anyway without bringing more people on.

Maybe this is the catylist that will bring the Tubridy regime down once and for all! If June sees the end of the Islamic Republic of Iran and the Tubridy Show, then it will be a GREAT month! If there is one shower worse than the Revolutionary Guards, then it is the shower in charge of the Late Late show !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fisher8181

How the hell was he allowed on twice on the LLS to freely promote his company on a state owned television station.

Because Niall Boylan's brother works for RTE.
    Cronyism is still alive and well in our state companies.
    The taxpayer has now paid for two informercials for this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Proview

fisher8181 wrote: »
    Because Niall Boylan's brother works for RTE.
    Cronyism is still alive and well in our state companies.
    The taxpayer has now paid for two informercials for this guy.

I heard him say on the radio one night that he only has one brother and he died 20 years ago.....so there goes your cronyisim theory in the bin..... Sounds like a conspiracy theory if you ask me..............

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Last month, Loophead Peninsula, Co. Clare was named the “Best Place to Holiday in Ireland” in an Irish Times competition. (The Glen of Aherlow, Co Tipperary; Inishbofin island, Co Galway; Derry city and Killarney, Co Kerry were shortlisted).

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/loop-head-takes-the-holiday-crown-in-irish-times-competition-1.1406995

After the win, Loophead Tourism Group approached the LLS to see if they could get an item on the show to highlight the achievement for the area. However, the LLS turned them down when they couldn't provide enough hotel break freebies for the studio audience :mad:

I find this really annoying considering that we were forced to sit through a lengthy wig infomercial a few weeks ago :rolleyes:
    THE tourism industry in West Clare has missed out on the primetime television exposure that comes with any appearance on The Late Late Show – all because of a failure to come up with the show’s traditional giveaway of “one for everyone in the audience”.

http://www.clarepeople.com/2013/06/04/loophead-misses-out-on-late-late-show-exposure/

MrsD007 wrote: »
    After the win, Loophead Tourism Group approached the LLS to see if they could get an item on the show to highlight the achievement for the area. However, the LLS turned them down when they couldn't provide enough hotel break freebies for the studio audience :mad:

I find this really annoying considering that we were forced sit through a lengthy wig infomercial a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

That is just ridiculous by the LLS.

How exactly do RTE or the viewing public benefit from having the audience members collect free holidays, anyway? I can't think of any other Programme which decides their show's content based on what it will deliver for people who are sitting in the studio.

A nice piece about the competition would have been better than most of the rubbish they had during the last few months.

And I would love to see them justify that extended advert about wigs (which have been around since Ancient Egypt, despite Tubs and Mr McPlug going on about them as if they are brand new).

Skid X wrote: »
    That is just ridiculous by the LLS.

How exactly do RTE or the viewing public benefit from having the audience members collect free holidays, anyway? I can't think of any other Programme which decides their show's content based on what it will deliver for people who are sitting in the studio.

A nice piece about the competition would have been better than most of the rubbish they had during the last few months.

And I would love to see them justify how that extended advert about wigs (which have been around since Ancient Egypt, despite Tubs and Mr McPlug going on about them as if they are brand new).

well let's not bang on it about it here and make a proper complaint!

'one for everyone in the audience' is an integral and traditional part of TLLS. A tried and tested successful formula. If people want to leverage TLLS status to raise their own profile, then they need to be prepaired to pay for it.

well let's not bang on it about it here and make a proper complaint!

I might, although I'm sure my complaint will receive as little attention as my previous letters to them.
    'one for everyone in the audience' is an integral and traditional part of TLLS. A tried and tested successful formula. If people want to leverage TLLS status to raise their own profile, then they need to be prepaired to pay for it.

Yeah, they really have their priorities right :rolleyes:

You can imagine the Production meeting afterwards "Well lads, another show over and the audience got their holiday. That's all that matters"

'one for everyone in the audience' is an integral and traditional part of TLLS. A tried and tested successful formula.

If people want to leverage TLLS status to raise their own profile, then they need to be prepaired to pay for it.
    Well that is very sad indeed :( What has happened to RTE's commitment to public service broadcasting?

Loophead Tourism Group are a small group of business people whose aim is to provide sustainable tourism in a remote but beautiful part of Co. Clare. Since setting up they have won the European Destination of Excellence (EDEN award) in 2010 and more recently Loophead Peninsula was voted 'Best Place To Holiday in Ireland' in an Irish Times Competition.

The peninsula is a small place, there are only a handful of hotels in the area so the group wouldn't have the resources that a more high profile tourism destination (like Killarney) would have, hence the reason for not being able to provide the freebies that the LLS were looking for. I'm pretty disgusted at the treatment they have received. The group has created a lot employment in an area that has been plagued with unemployment but sure LLS is more interested in covering misery items these days.

Isn't it funny, you say that 'one for everyone in the audience' is an integral part of the the LLS. Well, I can't remember the last time anyone gave away a free copy of their book or CD on the LLS. Seems to be one rule for the Z lister celebrity and another rule for the ordinary Joe and Josephine :rolleyes: It's a shame because the latter pay the licence fee.

• Advertisement

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Well that is very sad indeed :( What has happened to RTE's commitment to public service broadcasting?

It isnt a free advertising service.

Loophead Tourism group won a recent award. It was voted 'Best Place to Holiday in Ireland'. With so many Irish people opting to holiday at home because of the recession, I feel that it could have been a relevant and newsworthy item.

As for the free advertising, I'd love to know how much the LLS received for subjecting us to that horrendous wig infomercial.

Yeah, that must be it alright. That wigs thing seemed to go on and on for ages. Also, that show he did with 1 Direction the same - they were on for 2 whole segments! Other times, he is talking to someone in the audience about something silly or goes on for ages introducing the competition or milking some minor item. Clearly, the show should open its doors to ALL at least once (if they prove to be poor guests, don't have them again - but wait a minute, if you are a poor guest you will get back every time!). The 2012-13 season was the worst ever. About three shows that were only ok, the rest were ranging from poor to awful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ah! So that's why we were subjected to that sh1tty wig infomercial.

Hey!
    Isn't it supposed to be an entertainment show and not an advertising service at all??? (paid or unpaid)

amdublin wrote: »
    Ah! So that's why we were subjected to that sh1tty wig infomercial.

Hey!
    Isn't it supposed to be an entertainment show and not an advertising service at all??? (paid or unpaid)

In theory, it is supposed to be an entertainment show. In practice, it is a promo show for anyone who has connections to get on and it is also a place where RTE can plug its other TV programmes. It is also a place where washed up celebrities can keep their names in the public eye.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'm feeling like a fool.

I'm remembering a segment on what I thought was Irish entrepreneurial family/Irish family done good: husband raises ducks, wife designs clothes using duck down - selling great in japan iirc.

All a big paid for infomercial I guess.

Stupid amdublin :( Bad LLS producers and DLB for making amdublin feel this way :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fisher8181

Proview wrote: »
    so there goes your cronyisim theory in the bin...................

No it doesn't.
    He has had two advertising slots on the late late show in 5 years!
    Where its a brother or not, there is definately cronyism going on there.

Or maybe I'm wrong and putting people in wigs is of such public interest
    that he jsut had to have him on again!

fisher8181 wrote: »
    No it doesn't.
    He has had two advertising slots on the late late show in 5 years!
    Where its a brother or not, there is definately cronyism going on there.

Or maybe I'm wrong and putting people in wigs is of such public interest
    that he jsut had to have him on again!

It is getting close to the Tubridy time of year again! I wonder what joys he will have for us come September?

This wigs thing was as exciting as last season got! Last season was the poorest I can remember of this show. It is scary to see Tubridy being at his most comfortable when talking to boybands and other lightweight celebs.

Advertisement