Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom upgrading 'enhanced customers on 25th and 26th'

Options
  • 19-02-2004 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

I’ve found the Eircom business account managers to be very well informed in the past, but don’t sue me if this information turns out to be incorrect.

According to our account manager, Eircom will be upgrading all their enhanced customers to 2m/bit on the 25th and 26th. The changes will happen at midnight, and will cause the connection to be unusable for approximately 15 minutes. Some lines will have problems at these speeds, but engineers will be on standby to look at individual cases. Some customers just simply won’t be able to get the free 2m/bit upgrade.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Eircom and free in the same sentence normally makes me worried....whats the catch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Stupid question alert: 25th/26th of this month, yeah?
    Some customers just simply won’t be able to get the free 2m/bit upgrade.

For what reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

cause in the original dsl line test, it was tested for 1mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

We got a letter about this from Eircom last week, so yes it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Its true alright, but I got the bandwidth upgrade yesterday. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

My 512K line was bumped back to 1024K around 10:30 pm this evening. My download speed is still being capped at 512K further up the link, but things definitely feel more responsive, especially under heavy load.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Our upgrade took 4 minutes last night according to our router. Download speeds in and around 230 k/b per second.

The only strange thing was that our IP was changed, I called Eircom and they told me it wasn't. So I reconnected and our old IP was back again.

Actually just reconnected a few times for the fun of it, we are assigned a different (new IP) every second time I reconnect. :) weird

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by Praetorian

Actually just reconnected a few times for the fun of it, we are assigned a different (new IP) every second time I reconnect. :) weird

There's nothing weird about it.You're being assigned a dymanic ip instead of a static ip.If you're paying for a static one , get onto them and complain.

It is weird Carbsy because all enhanced customers have static IP's. Our normal (old) static ip connects every second time. It doesn't bother me at all, because the connection rarely fails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

All enhanced customers don't have fixed IP.. early customers only got one if you ask for it (and/or fill out RIPE forms).

Where are you getting 230KBs from? I can only get 207-209KBs from INEX sites. What sort of modem/router?

My IP has stayed the same for numerous reconnects (and some a few mins ago, just for fun!)

My upgrade & reconnect took < 30secs last night

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Ah , that explains it then. :)

Where are you getting 230KBs from?

Microshaft. Heanet was quick too; about 220k/b per second. :)

Do you have a url for what you were downloading from inex?

Advertisement