Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are some people unable to tell the difference between name spelling variants?

Options
  • 27-07-2015 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Very curious about this. I have a not-that-common, but not-that-unusual first name, Glenn (two Ns), but many people misspell it as Glen (one N). I can understand that initially people may misspell it, as both variants are used (although Glenn appears to be the most common spelling), but some people continue to do so even after repeated interaction with me via email, where my name is spelled correctly in the 'from' field, and also at the end of my message. Obviously I'm aware of dyslexia, but usually there are no other misspellings apart from my name.

To be honest, it's something that really annoys me, especially when the mistake is made by someone with an unusual or hard to spell name! I always make the effort to make sure I've spelled someone's name correctly, and I expect the same courtesy to be extended to me. But if this is a genuine 'condition'/thing whereby people can't see the difference between variant spellings, then I can understand that. But it seems to affect a lot of people. Is it just mild dyslexia, or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Maybe people with common names don't get upset or annoyed at misspellings of their own name, maybe because it rarely happens, maybe because they don't care anyway, and have no idea that they may be unwittingly causing offence?

It's often enough that we have a sore spot, and because it's sore, we really notice when it's poked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Well, maybe, but as I said in my original post, this also happens with people who have unusual name spellings themselves. I've been tempted to deliberately misspell their names to see if this triggers some sort of reaction, but it just seems really petty.

I just find it kinda unbelievable that people with otherwise good spelling don't seem to be able to see the difference.

Gadgie wrote: »
    I just find it kinda unbelievable that people with otherwise good spelling don't seem to be able to see the difference.

Just because an issue is important to you, doesn't make it important to everyone. Think of things your friends feel are important, but you don't care about at all: water charges, the bankers, sex, insults, starving children, homelessness, etc etc etc.

Just because an issue is important to you, doesn't make it important to everyone. Think of things your friends feel are important, but you don't care about at all: water charges, the bankers, sex, insults, starving children, homelessness, etc etc etc.

Erm, not really sure what your point is, or how it's relevant to the question I asked. People don't spell my name correctly because they care more about world peace?

Maybe it's poor wording on your part, but you imply that I don't care about any of those issues that you mentioned. For the record, I do, and a lot more besides. I still manage to find the time to spell people's names correctly though.

Back to my original question - is there any condition that may cause people not to notice the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

I know exactly what you mean and it really gets to me too!!
    My name is Anna yet people consistently call me Anne both to my face & in writing- emails, texts etc
    I always sign my name on things & am always extra careful to spell other people's names correctly!
    I do often point it out to people to be honest and even then they sometimes still get it wrong!! In my case it's not just incorrect spelling it's a whole other name lol
    Quite honestly I've come to the conclusion that it's just laziness... I haven't heard of any condition but I guess it is a possibility!

I mean, I know people who have more unusual or obscure names and I kinda get that people sometimes get them wrong or mixed up... But Anna isn't that unusual, neither I'd Glenn!!

• Advertisement

Just because an issue is important to you, doesn't make it important to everyone.

You care about the spelling of your name; they don't. Maybe they don't even care about the spelling of their own names.

I was trying to be tactful, and using analogies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Little to be worrying about.

You care about the spelling of your name; they don't. Maybe they don't even care about the spelling of their own names.

I was trying to be tactful, and using analogies.

You couldn't possibly know whether they care or not, unless you asked them. Is this the psychology forum, or after hours?

Not sure I can make this any clearer. I'm specifically interested in whether there's some sort of condition whereby people don't recognise spelling variants, not whether they care if they spell names correctly or not.

the answer to that is NO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I work with a lad who's parents decided to call Bryan. He introduced himself as Bryan with a y.

The only time i think of the spelling of his name is when he derides me for using Brian in an email.

In short, the spelling of other peoples name is not on my radar in everyday life.

I do not know of any condition that relates to people spelling names incorrectly.

I wonder is there a diagnosed condition for people who suffer from getting annoyed by their name being spelled incorrectly?

Have you looked into that side of it OP?

• Advertisement

the answer to that is NO.

Thanks. Good to have an answer from such a definitive source.

I wonder is there a diagnosed condition for people who suffer from getting annoyed by their name being spelled incorrectly?

Have you looked into that side of it OP?

Can't say I have.

Doesn't look like I'm going to get any sensible answers here. Apologies for thinking the psychology forum might be interested in something related to how the human brain works. Maybe I should have posted in after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

I totally get the frustration too. I've been called Nicola via email and to my face pretty much all my life. There are only so many times you can correct the same person before you give up and just think 'feck it' - there are some people who just haven't grasped that my name is Nicole and so I answer to Nicola
    Some battles just aren't worth pursuing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

NicoleW85 wrote:
    I totally get the frustration too. I've been called Nicola via email and to my face pretty much all my life. There are only so many times you can correct the same person before you give up and just think 'feck it' - there are some people who just haven't grasped that my name is Nicole and so I answer to Nicola Some battles just aren't worth pursuing

Or if you deal with Americans it's 'Nichole'..

Happens to me all the time too, and it used to really annoy me. Now I don't bother correcting them anymore. I think some people genuinely can't tell similar words (not just names) apart. I don't think it's anything to do with dyslexia tbh, more like a lack of attention to detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

I don't like when people don't spell someone's name properly,constantly had to spell my maiden name for people and now the same for my marriage one, if I m writing someone's name be it first or surname I always ask if I'm not too sure especially if there are a few ways of spelling it

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

unreg999 wrote:
    I know exactly what you mean and it really gets to me too!! My name is Anna yet people consistently call me Anne both to my face & in writing- emails, texts etc I always sign my name on things & am always extra careful to spell other people's names correctly! I do often point it out to people to be honest and even then they sometimes still get it wrong!! In my case it's not just incorrect spelling it's a whole other name lol Quite honestly I've come to the conclusion that it's just laziness... I haven't heard of any condition but I guess it is a possibility! 

My name is Anna also and, like you, I get called an incorrect name frequently, both in direct communication and in emails etc...Anne, Annie, Aine and even Annmarie are the most common ones. It's so frustrating and I do correct everyone who calls me the wrong name. I mean it's a short name and quite a common name! I'd put it down to laziness, rudeness and/or lack of attention. I never actually considered a disorder of some kind could be to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

its not something I'd do myself but as someone else said the correct spelling of your name is obviously not important to the people you are dealing with.

If its such a big issue why don't you pull them up on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

or they could be busy and only quickly glance at email names, see Glenn, but when typing the reply their brain defaults to glen as it's the version they use most.

It's hardly that big of a deal is it? It's not like you're being called the wrong name altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

for those of you discussing names etc. im dyslexic myself and names can be a bit of a problem in particular. i obviously misspell a lot but i have a tendency to forget names which can cause difficulties in social situations. i have a tendency to misspell peoples names and chose the wrong name even though it maybe something similar to their actual name. i know other dyslexics that have a similar problem. a part of the problem with dyslexia is actually a memory problem. this is called your working memory and this is where remembering things like peoples names becomes a problem. im glad a previous poster mentioned laziness in this conversation. a special needs tutor recently told me that people that are dyslexic can be perceived as being lazy because of these problems, so i guess, dont be too quick to judge people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

An aunt of mine ALWAYS spells my name completely different to everyone else. It used to annoy me, but now I kind of like it. It's her way of spelling and look at the end of the day, she doesn't pronounce it differently just writes it strangely.

I would make an effort to find out how people spell their names and stick to that, (especially "Anne's", they seem to be particularly touchy about the "e" at the end!). But I can understand how others just say, feck it, as long as you know who I'm talking about, what's the problem. For the majority of people, it's not a disorder. It's just not high on the priority list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Advertisement