Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

Options
  • 07-03-2014 2:36pm
    Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The local elections are coming up on May 23rd. So with that in mind, what are the Cavan issues important to you and that you would like to see the candidates address? Over the course of the campaign Boards is going to try to engage with local election candidates and run Q&A sessions with them, so this is your first chance to tell them what you'll be asking them should they call to your door.

Obviously there's potential for this thread to become contentious, so a couple of ground rules:

NO politician bashing - this isn't about slagging off X candidate or Y party, it's about getting proper discussion going on what issues face Cavan and what the candidates can expect to be grilled on.

NO politicians - feel free to keep an eye on this thread, but you'll get your chance later. This thread is for your potential future constituents only.

Political affiliations - if you're going to be involved in campaigning for a candidate or in the organisation of any party/group's campaign, you must declare this in your first post in this thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Rail services to Ulster. It's an absolute disgrace that in this day and age, Irish Rail don't service ANY of a whole province.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

+ 1. Protect from development the old rail alignment from Cavan (that parallels the N55 in places) in the meantime.

Bus services that allow people to travel between towns in the region before 09.00 giving the option to use a coach to work for those who don't have access to private transport/don't wish to drive/can't afford to sustain a vehicle/second vehicle.

Take Cavan town for instance:
    * Impossible to travel by public transport to Longford town for 09.00.
    * Impossible to travel by public transport to Mullingar for 09.00.
    * Impossible to travel by public transport to either Clones or Monaghan for 09.00.
    * Impossible to travel by public transport to Belturbet, Derrylin and Enniskillen for 09.00.

This is the sort of stuff that needs to be tackled.

Action needed not reports sitting on shelves gathering dust and fancy speeches/lip service.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I'm currently living in Dublin, but still registered in Cavan, so not sure what the deal is back there - are politicians actually knocking on doors/ringing bells? I've had a plethora of leaflets through the door and not one of them has actually tried to engage me, even when we're very obviously at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

dregin wrote: »
    I'm currently living in Dublin, but still registered in Cavan, so not sure what the deal is back there - are politicians actually knocking on doors/ringing bells? I've had a plethora of leaflets through the door and not one of them has actually tried to engage me, even when we're very obviously at home.

They are obviously afraid.
    Same here in Louth.
    Not one knocked my door but put their literature through the letterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MollieB

I am delighted to see that there is some forum for discussion on this local election. I would think that Cavan County Council need to provide clear information on the changes to the electoral regions and the candidates running in each area. I wasn't able to find anything following a quick google search. People need information on how this electoral process is going to work and what has changed from the previous election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Illegal Dumping.
    Broad Band.
    **** roads.
    Hedge Cutting.

Also, why is there a Electric Car sitting in Cavan for over a year and has not moved once.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Transport is the main issue that I will be discussing with anybody who knocks at my door.

Advertisement