Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Pending appeal from Sion (Though I doubt that this will be successful).

Will this count towards the coefficient ? :D

edit: Atletico Madrid, 3 days before playing us, good luck with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I wonder if Sion will reimburse their fans that went to either match...

I can see the Sion owner using every avenue possible to get back into Europe. He even thought Celtic shouldnt have protested the ineligible players! How the likes of him and Mad Vlad get through "fit and proper person" tests i'll never know!
    Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Pending appeal from Sion (Though I doubt that this will be successful).

Will this count towards the coefficient ? :D

edit: Atletico Madrid, 3 days before playing us, good luck with that.

Atletico are a shadow of what they once were

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Worst thing about this decision is that Dan's red card will probably be cancelled! Maybe we should as UEFA to let that stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

On STV Sion have confirmed they will be appealing

On STV Sion have confirmed they will be appealing

Can't really see what grounds they have for an appeal, they fielded ineligble players in 2 legs and received the same punishment as previous offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

RoryMac wrote: »
    Can't really see what grounds they have for an appeal, they fielded ineligble players in 2 legs and received the same punishment as previous offenders.

Agreed but they are

We must really be in UEFA's good books today, they have confirmed big Dan still receives a 1 match ban for his sending off!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

TheBuilder wrote: »
    I'm not usually one for the "better off out of it" way of thinking but the Old Firm are in such a mess at the minute it's only adding pressure to the managers, you can put your house on if Celtic draw at home to Rennes that the fans will be sick with Lennon again. A break from European football to get our own houses in order would probably be a blessing in disguise!

I'm quite glad you're in it, thats 6 extra games for you :p

A break from European football is something we definitely do not need. Like I said, it's catch 22 with these competitions - have to be in them to get the experience to keep being in them. No complaints from me if it affects league form - we have a big enough squad and good enough players to be able to handle SPL games and Europa league games. I'm delighted we're in a challenging group, I'm doubtful we'll get out of it, but good to play decent sides, and without the added hassle of having to travel to far reaches of eastern Europe.

At least we agree, I'm quite glad we are in it too (at the moment). :) This debacle is not over yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Just heard the news, thrilled tbh. Sion broke the rules and got punished. I don't see it any other way.

We should have beaten them easily fair enough and today is a lifeline but one all Celtic fans should be glad to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

http://twitter.com/#!/MMcD1873/status/109385410282651649

Isn't this one of the bears on here? Not very nice, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

d.anthony wrote: »

That's someone on here? Real classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

Lol, so easy to quote one post from a wee boy, how about reading through the rest of the personal abuse he took before it!

Edit: Is he on here? Don't think so.

RoryMac wrote: »

They're saying UEFA ratified their squad list for the game then went back on it on advice from FIFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Not available anymore, was it that bad?

To be fair I don't think it is a bear on here but if I was guessing I would say it is a relative, and that bear is usually a fair enough poster so whatever was said shouldn't be held against him.

henke wrote: »
    Not available anymore, was it that bad?

To be fair I don't think it is a bear on here but if I was guessing I would say it is a relative, and that bear is usually a fair enough poster so whatever was said shouldn't be held against him.

He called Commons a fat **** among some other poorly chosen swear words, nothing sinister or to get up in arms about really.

On the topic, if Commons keeps retweeting posts with words like Hun in them he could find himself in bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Great news for Scottish football with Celtic rightly getting back into Europa. They really need to pick up a few wins however with the inexperienced management team at Celtic, I would not be overly optimistic I am sorry to say. Time will tell.....

I think the appeals process will drag on until almost the day that either club are suppose to be preparing for the 1st fixture, which would be a disaster for Celtic/Sion and egg on the face of UEFA.

Where I see Sion having grounds for an appeal

Is the onus on the club, their FA or UEFA for ensuring that submitted player lists for European competition are not in breach of the competition's rules?

Sion submitted a player list with those ineligible players which the Swiss FA & UEFA did nothing about. Do Sion submit the player list to UEFA via their FA or directly? The Swiss FA would have known that a civil case would have no affect on a FIFA/UEFA ruling, that is a fundamental rule so I dunno how the Swiss FA could back Sion because even if UEFA/FIFA were wrong in their implementation of the transfer embargo, going to a civil court means nothing. They should have gone to FIFA/UEFA directly with their case.

Lennon may be an inexperienced manager but remember that he sat in many a dressing room on European nights against opposition where they were expected to win, expected to loose and walked away with the result. Mjallby, Thompson and himself will remember what worked on them and try to replicate that with what they have. They have more experience than most when it comes to European Football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I suppose there is big difference doing it as a player and then as a manager. I just see both the Old Firm teams with rookie managers who are going to struggle at european level at a time when Scottish football can least afford it. The evidence of this season and last season says it all. Utrecht and Sion for Celtic and then Malmo and Maribor for Rangers. These teams should be put to the the sword by the Old Firm. Yes the quality of the player in Glasgow is not what it once was, but their respective budgets still dwarfs those of the teams that beat them.

Brewster wrote: »
    I suppose there is big difference doing it as a player and then as a manager. I just see both the Old Firm teams with rookie managers who are going to struggle at european level at a time when Scottish football can least afford it. The evidence of this season and last season says it all. Utrecht and Sion for Celtic and then Malmo and Maribor for Rangers. These teams should be put to the the sword by the Old Firm. Yes the quality of the player in Glasgow is not what it once was, but their respective budgets still dwarfs those of the teams that beat them.

Celtic and Rangers' wage bills suffer from inflation because of the silly wages on offer in the EPL & Championship. Both clubs have to offer big wages to the likes of Scott Brown, who isnt that good but better than most in the SPL, so he'll stay in Scotland.

The likes of Sion, Malmo, Maribor, Utrecht dont have this problem as much and if a player does go to Germany, France, Italy or Spain they have to adjust to the lifestyle and possibly learn a new language to integrate. Going from Glasgow to Newcastle isnt much of a culture shock!

Another problem is the state of grass roots football & youth development in Scotland and the lack of talent coming through the ranks at all SPL clubs. We had to go to Honduras to get a decent left back! If Celtic find a player thats good enough for them, you can bet that several other English clubs with bigger wage budgets can out muscle them or at least show enough interest to drive the cost up significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Sion chief Christian Constantin: We will play Atletico Madrid on September 15
    Sep 4 2011 Gordon Waddell, Sunday Mail

SEETHING Sion owner Christian Constantin has vowed to take his side to Madrid for the opening game of the Europa League groups - and insists they WILL play Atletico.
    Celtic boss Neil Lennon saw his side take the Swiss club's place in Group I on Friday after UEFA kicked Sion out for breaching a transfer embargo.
    However, Constantin has branded their decision worthy of a Banana Republic.
    And he is adamant Sion will take on UEFA's bigwigs and beat them through the courts.
    Constantin fumed: "The dice were loaded. It is a travesty of justice - worthy of a Banana Republic. But it only makes me want to fight harder. It is fighting against Goliath but in the end we’ll see where David is.
    “The verdict doesn’t surprise me at all. When less than an hour is enough to make such a decision, this means that judges are there to formalize a sanction decided in advance.
    “In addition, all necessary steps for an appeal to UEFA lead us beyond September 15, the date of the first group game. So we will be there in Madrid and we will play. I will take that bet.”
    The fired-up Swiss supremo also claimed there was evidence of a carve-up, insisting the news of Celtic’s reinstatement was announced on the club’s official website nearly an hour and a half before UEFA delivered their formal verdict.
    He sighed: “It surprises you that it was all planned? I could see this verdict coming like I was reading a road map.”
    Constantin takes heart from Porto’s successful appeal in 2008 after they were initially booted out of the Champions League due to a bribery investigation.
    He said: “We will appeal for sure - the same way Porto did when they won reinstatement.
    “But we will be going on the offensive on other fronts too
    Should be interesting. Could get messy, and I aint booking any flights til it's 100% that we're in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

After the performance against Sion, Celtic could really be shown up against sides like Atletico and Udinese. Still, its good for the side to gain European experience

This being me 1888th post, thought it should be in the Celtic thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,287 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A fact now saved for posterity purposes :D

nonamemb.jpg

Should be interesting. Could get messy, and I aint booking any flights til it's 100% that we're in

Looks like this legal battle is a long way from over. You are right might be a bit early to book flights just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I don't see much chance or progressing through this group tbh, the games away against Athletico and Udinesse will be especially difficult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I don't see much chance or progressing through this group tbh, the games away against Athletico and Udinesse will be especially difficult
    My 6 month??? soccer ban is over:D:D.Tone I completely agree.We were effed into pot 4 coz thats where sion were. I think wed have been pot 2 if wed beat the cheats.I think its atletico away on 15th and da rainjurs away on 18th Sep. 2 tough games. Well-one tough game;)

• Advertisement

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    My 6 month??? soccer ban is over:D:D.Tone I completely agree.We were effed into pot 4 coz thats where sion were. I think wed have been pot 2 if wed beat the cheats.I think its atletico away on 15th and da rainjurs away on 18th Sep. 2 tough games. Well-one tough game;)

6 months ban? :eek: Did you murder another poster or something? :pac:

PauloMN wrote: »
    6 months ban? :eek: Did you murder another poster or something? :pac:

Nah, he defended Celtic too much :pac:

You'd have been in Pot 3 at best if you had beaten Sion, failing to beat them you deserve to be in pot 4 lol.

You'd have been in Pot 3 at best if you had beaten Sion, failing to beat them you deserve to be in pot 4 lol.

Can't argue with that!

We would have been in pot 3 had we won the tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Nope, we would have been in Pot 2.

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedel2011.html

• Advertisement

You're right, I thought our coefficient was even ****ter than it actually is. ;):o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

You're right, I thought our coefficient was even ****ter than it actually is. ;):o

Not just in Pot 2 but second from top in Pot 2.

By being reinstated in Sion's place (because of them knowingly breaking rules) we've actually been penalised by being put in Pot 4.

Rasmussen is farmed out to Sivasspor. I kinda feel sorry for the guy, probably has Mowbrays face on a dart board at home

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11787_7153566,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Back to domestic action this weekend with Celtic at home to Motherwell. A game after the International break is always dodgy but hopefully the bhoys will get the 3 points.

I see Sion's appeal in the Swiss courts has failed. I thought it was a rather stupid move by them to try and get it overturned in a Swiss court? Regardless let's hope this is the end of the matter.

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Back to domestic action this weekend with Celtic at home to Motherwell. A game after the International break is always dodgy but hopefully the bhoys will get the 3 points.

I see Sion's appeal in the Swiss courts has failed. I thought it was a rather stupid move by them to try and get it overturned in a Swiss court? Regardless let's hope this is the end of the matter.

It hasnt failed as such, it was thrown out because it was outside the jurisdiction of that district court. When the submit their appeal to a district court in the canton of Vaud, where UEFA HQ is, then their appeal will be listened to. I cant see their headcase chairman giving up over improperly submitted paperwork.

Not just his agent, but Bangura himself is talking the talk - let's hope he can walk the walk:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2011/09/10/celtic-new-boy-mohamed-bangura-eyes-move-to-top-club-within-a-year-86908-23409802/

This will either be a brilliant signing, or a complete disaster - no in-between. He's putting serious pressure on himself already talking about his next move after Celtic, hasn't even played a game for us ffs!

Not just his agent, but Bangura himself is talking the talk - let's hope he can walk the walk:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2011/09/10/celtic-new-boy-mohamed-bangura-eyes-move-to-top-club-within-a-year-86908-23409802/

This will either be a brilliant signing, or a complete disaster - no in-between. He's putting serious pressure on himself already talking about his next move after Celtic, hasn't even played a game for us ffs!

Just been reading that myself. Yep, he's putting alot of pressure on himself to perform, I doubt many fans will have his name on their jersey. If his motivation to be playing for a big club within a year then Celtic will do well out of it unless there is a stupid clause in his contract where he's undervalued.

Very silly of him to be talking about moving on after just walking through the door. Well he has now set down a marker for himself lets see if he can live up to it, and as for comparisons with Henrik Larsson, I don't think anyone can be compared with Larsson. There is only one Henrik Larsson :).

Was there a comparison in the media somewhere with Larsson?

He was recommended to us by Larsson and Stuart Baxter but thats about it AFAIK

I view it in a positive way considering he will have all the self motivation to make his time at Celtic work unlike some of our other signings in past. I would rather take a young ambitious player who sees us as a stepping stone over the past it players who see us as an easy time.

• Advertisement

I view it in a positive way considering he will have all the self motivation to make his time at Celtic work unlike some of our other signings in past. I would rather take a young ambitious player who sees us as a stepping stone over the past it players who see us as an easy time.

Exactly. If he sees bigger and better things down the road for him, then he better hit the road running and start banging goals in, which in turn can only be good for us.
    Never know, we might even get a £29 million offer for him from some unknown club

Exactly. If he sees bigger and better things down the road for him, then he better hit the road running and start banging goals in, which in turn can only be good for us.
    Never know, we might even get a £29 million offer for him from some unknown club

Like the 9 million bid for Brown ?

Like the 9 million bid for Brown ?

When did Celtic say they rejected £9m for Brown?? :rolleyes:

Dempsey wrote: »
    When did Celtic say they rejected £9m for Brown?? :rolleyes:

EXCLUSIVE: Celtic reject massive Premiership club bid

By Keith Jackson

CELTIC kicked out an incredible £9million bid for new boy Scott Brown just hours before their Champions League fate was secured on Wednesday night.

Record Sport can reveal the offer - a one-off cash payment - was made by a third party ahead of the Parkhead club's qualifier against Spartak Moscow.

It's believed a Premiership club sanctioned the move, with the likes of Everton, Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Spurs all known admirers of the player signed from Hibs for £4.5m just two months ago.

It is understood Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell rejected the deal instantly and did not even bother to ask the third party for the identity of the mystery club.

Brown went on to play his part in Celtic's dramatic penalty shoot-out victory over the Russians which has secured Celtic a £10m windfall from UEFA's most lucrative event.

With the transfer window still open until tonight at midnight, Celtic could have raked in a massive profit by doubling their financial outlay on the 22-year-old.

But Lawwell and manager Gordon Strachan have made it clear they will not entertain any improved offer, no matter how large, for a player who is already a central figure in their latest rebuilt team.

I think this was 2007.
    This is obviously bull**** (note the 'It is understood')

However, Sport on Sunday recently said they saw the emails about the Jelavic offer, why would a paper (Daily Mail) with a history of breaking us down every chance they get lie about something like that ?

By Keith Jackson

CELTIC kicked out an incredible £9million bid for new boy Scott Brown just hours before their Champions League fate was secured on Wednesday night.

Record Sport can reveal the offer - a one-off cash payment - was made by a third party ahead of the Parkhead club's qualifier against Spartak Moscow.

It's believed a Premiership club sanctioned the move, with the likes of Everton, Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Spurs all known admirers of the player signed from Hibs for £4.5m just two months ago.

It is understood Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell rejected the deal instantly and did not even bother to ask the third party for the identity of the mystery club.

Brown went on to play his part in Celtic's dramatic penalty shoot-out victory over the Russians which has secured Celtic a £10m windfall from UEFA's most lucrative event.

With the transfer window still open until tonight at midnight, Celtic could have raked in a massive profit by doubling their financial outlay on the 22-year-old.

But Lawwell and manager Gordon Strachan have made it clear they will not entertain any improved offer, no matter how large, for a player who is already a central figure in their latest rebuilt team.

I think this was 2007.

Thats the Daily Record & Keith Jackson. Where is the official statement from Celtic?? Duh!

By Keith Jackson

I think this was 2007.

Keech Jackson said it, usual bullsh!t trotted out by him and his paper.

Forrest scores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

By Keith Jackson

I think this was 2007.
    This is obviously bull**** (note the 'It is understood')

However, Sport on Sunday recently said they saw the emails about the Jelavic offer, why would a paper (Daily Mail) with a history of breaking us down every chance they get lie about something like that ?

So are you going to anser Dempsey's question or not?

So are you going to anser Dempsey's question or not?

None of the Rangers supporters answered the question the last time they wheeled out the Keith Jackson article as a retort, why would I expect them to do so now? They cant because Celtic didnt make an official statement of any description.

• Advertisement

Ledley scores

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement