Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using Lazer/CC for buying DVDs

• 20-03-2003 11:47am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

is there any sites that accept Lazer cards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

i doubt any would accept lazer cards, possibly irish sites would if there are any but i cant see them doing it......completely off topic last year i remember hearing that some crowd were thinking of doing disposible credit cards, for internet use..ie you pay 50e for 50e or so credit that can be used over the internet....i think they would be a great idea as i cant get a credit card(well cant afford one anyway)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by mooman_00
    i doubt any would accept lazer cards, possibly irish sites would if there are any but i cant see them doing it......completely off topic last year i remember hearing that some crowd were thinking of doing disposible credit cards, for internet use..ie you pay 50e for 50e or so credit that can be used over the internet....i think they would be a great idea as i cant get a credit card(well cant afford one anyway)

I was just wondering about a service like this the other day. It would be easy enough for the bank to do it through your internet banking. Just use the money in your account to create a temporary credit card number to buy stuff on the net. They could even charge a small fee per transaction and I'd be very interested in a service like this. It would also increase sales on the internet big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 CarpetFool

AIB do that - you set some internet banking thing up and you can go to their secure site and have it generate a use once credit card number for you, instead of you using your real number.

that's not much use for people without credit cards though. I'm talking about using real cash from your account to create a temporary CC number to use for a transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 CarpetFool

Yeah - fair enough - that would be really useful.
    But any crowd to whom you might give access to your bank account would have to be mighty secure and trustworthy.

• Advertisement

you'd be getting your Bank to take money from your account, create a temporary VISA number, and then you pay like it's a normal credit card. No one would ever have to go near your bank account. It's so simple, I can't believe it's not in practise already.

i think it would be a very complicated thing to achieve...but having your bank do it seems like a brilliant idea, you clear it with them, get number, buy stuff and recieve stuff. It would defo be worth it for the bank as im sure they would put a 'small' charge on it and it would be very appealing to those of us who have no cards..

I don't think it would be complicated once set up. You would go to an order form through your internet banking. You choose how much you want on the temporary number, the bank debit your account plus the commission, they link to the VISA system which issues a temporary number. The cash used is put in limbo until the transaction is completed and the company your buying off request the money. Because the money would be in the same place as normal credit card money comes from then disputes etc could still be possible so it could be just as secure as a credit card. I'm sure though if it was as simple as all this then someone would have done it already.

oh no i agree with you there, its only when outside companies come into play does it become complicated, as in if dodgy companies start ripping people off and how secure would it be to let outside unknown internet companies who offer temp credit cards access to your acc.......

ps why is complicated so hard to spell.

you could build into the number some sort of failsafe that only allows the number to be used on sites with Valid Certificates and 128bit security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Great idea but WAAAAAY off topic. Can the mods please split this thread?

Advertisement