Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powermax Complete - GSM issues

Options
  • 04-05-2014 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi All, recently bought the Visonic Powermax Complete and am attempting to set it up this weekend.

Am currently in a status of "Not Ready" - when I hit "information|ok" I hear the following:

"Disarm not ready to arm. System Troubles. GSM Module, GSM Network Failure"

The funny this is that the alarm has sent me some sms messages this morning already so the module is definitely working. I cant however seem to clear the trouble alarm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thx,
    Derek

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Try power the unit down completely and up again and see if the sim initializes.
    If not take the sim out and try it in a phone and see if it works.
    If it's prepay does it have credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭derek214

Working in IT you would think I'd try turning it off and on before I post in here!! :)
    Worked like a charm KoolKid - up and running now! Thanks much!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

LOL . You have to remember its basically a mobile phone. If you ever remove the SIM the unit will have to power up again with it in place to connect.

Thanks KoolKid

So I'm pretty much up and running and today I while doing some testing I of course have another question :)

I would like to set it up that on arming, disarming it will text me and then for an alert it will ring me.

So I have set Private Reports to SMS only on Open & Close. This appears to work as I get a text after arming/disarming etc and can check the statis via text "status <code>".

Then I have set C.S Reports to GSM on All -Op/CL & recorded a House ID message however when I set the alarm off I just get a silent phone call that I cannot acknowledge..

Any ideas?

Its shouldn't be CS reports it should be private report.

• Advertisement

Spot on! Again - Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

I have this error on mine too and the alarm won't arm in away or home mode,
    Would powering down as previously stated work?

What is the correct procedure to restart the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭altor

robclay26 wrote: »
    I have this error on mine too and the alarm won't arm in away or home mode,
    Would powering down as previously stated work?

What is the correct procedure to restart the system?

What is the error it is saying?

altor wrote: »
    What is the error it is saying?

GSM Network Failure I think it said

GSM Network Failure I think it said

Is there credit on the sim?

• Advertisement

Is there credit on the sim?

Yes plenty

Yes plenty

A few things I would try.
    Star button on keyfob, use this to listen to problems and then press the disarm button to see if this clears the fault.
    Down power the alarm battery and mains, then power it back up and see if that clears the fault.
    If you still have the problem I would take out the sim and place it in a standard mobile and see if you can make a call. Some providers need there sim topped up every 6 months to keep it active.

A few things I would try.
    Star button on keyfob, use this to listen to problems and then press the disarm button to see if this clears the fault.
    Down power the alarm battery and mains, then power it back up and see if that clears the fault.
    If you still have the problem I would take out the sim and place it in a standard mobile and see if you can make a call. Some providers need there sim topped up every 6 months to keep it active.

Will try that! The alarm is only 6-7 weeks installed

Will try that! The alarm is only 6-7 weeks installed

Could also be an issue with signal on the sim card in the GSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Smithgor

I too have a PowerMaxPro system (In my case have Powerlink2 also) and had been getting the "GSM net fail" message on and off all year. Historically it has cleared of its own accord and has not prevented me from setting the alarm but recently I cannot get rid of the message and the alarm cannot be set. Annoying as the panel now refuses to set the alarm unless the GSM module is removed.

Initially I followed the powering down/up instructions on here and it seemed to work OK first time. Then about 2 weeks ago the fault returned and will not clear unless there is no GSM module fitted.

My GSM module is an older GSM200 and I have access to an up to date GSM350 for testing. In addition to the SIM in the alarm I have a 2nd SIM from a payg phone that fits. Both SIMs work OK with texts in the phone.

Irrespective of which module / SIM combo I try the same thing happens:-

1) Having powered up and cleared all error messages I initially get only the green 'power/OK' light and can set/cancel the alarm OK.
    2) Causing alarm to go off doesn't result in a text being set by GSM module. An email does arrive though (probably gone via Israel) about 20-30 minutes later.
    3) Running diagnostics gives following:-
    o GPRS – GSM Net fail
    o LAN – Unit is OK
    4) The yellow 'fault' light comes on, either when coming back out of the installer menus or after about 10-15 minutes of the power up.
    5) Once the yellow light comes on the alarm will not set.

The co-occurrence of the problem, irrespective of module and SIM, seems to point to the problem being elsewhere. I wondered about the modules needing an aerial but, as I say, the original one has worked OK for months in the past.

It has been suggested that I try a soft &/or hard reset but this would entail completely re-enrolling and re-defining which I am trying to avoid.

Can anyone throw any light?

Smithgor wrote: »
    I too have a PowerMaxPro system (In my case have Powerlink2 also) and had been getting the "GSM net fail" message on and off all year. Historically it has cleared of its own accord and has not prevented me from setting the alarm but recently I cannot get rid of the message and the alarm cannot be set. Annoying as the panel now refuses to set the alarm unless the GSM module is removed.

Initially I followed the powering down/up instructions on here and it seemed to work OK first time. Then about 2 weeks ago the fault returned and will not clear unless there is no GSM module fitted.

My GSM module is an older GSM200 and I have access to an up to date GSM350 for testing. In addition to the SIM in the alarm I have a 2nd SIM from a payg phone that fits. Both SIMs work OK with texts in the phone.

Irrespective of which module / SIM combo I try the same thing happens:-

1) Having powered up and cleared all error messages I initially get only the green 'power/OK' light and can set/cancel the alarm OK.
    2) Causing alarm to go off doesn't result in a text being set by GSM module. An email does arrive though (probably gone via Israel) about 20-30 minutes later.
    3) Running diagnostics gives following:-
    o GPRS – GSM Net fail
    o LAN – Unit is OK
    4) The yellow 'fault' light comes on, either when coming back out of the installer menus or after about 10-15 minutes of the power up.
    5) Once the yellow light comes on the alarm will not set.

The co-occurrence of the problem, irrespective of module and SIM, seems to point to the problem being elsewhere. I wondered about the modules needing an aerial but, as I say, the original one has worked OK for months in the past.

It has been suggested that I try a soft &/or hard reset but this would entail completely re-enrolling and re-defining which I am trying to avoid.

Can anyone throw any light?

GSM Net fail is the signal of the provider.
    Have you done a signal test in the area the alarm is installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Smithgor

I did test for a signal, using a mobile phone, right next to the panel. The phone showed that there was a good signal.

Smithgor wrote: »
    I did test for a signal, using a mobile phone, right next to the panel. The phone showed that there was a good signal.

If you have tried used different GSMs and you still have the same issue I would try the default of the system as it may be an issue with the control panel itself. Failing the default working a new panel may solve the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Tea Cup

I am having the same problem, I have tried all of the above. We have the system 3 years & it often happens after the electricity has been off for a while - bad storms etc. Is there settings I can check?

Tea Cup wrote: »
    I am having the same problem, I have tried all of the above. We have the system 3 years & it often happens after the electricity has been off for a while - bad storms etc. Is there settings I can check?

If it is happening after the mains coming back on it could be a bad power up. I would suggest down powering the system, battery and mains then powering up again.

• Advertisement

Tried that. When I set off the alarm it's not sending a text, but when I do a walk test its send an alert. The text settings have changed.

Tried that. When I set off the alarm it's not sending a text, but when I do a walk test its send an alert. The text settings have changed.

You have changed the way it alerts you. Its needs to be set for alarm.

I don't think so, but I can't be sure. I'm getting the gsm module failure, gsm net failure message again. Time to call the alarm companY AGAIN. More good money after bad with this alarm

I don't think so, but I can't be sure. I'm getting the gsm module failure, gsm net failure message again. Time to call the alarm companY AGAIN. More good money after bad with this alarm

You are getting alerts, not alarms. I will look in the manual and see what its under, have not installed a pro in donkey years :D

You have changed this in the user menu.

340908.JPG

It need to be changed to alarms.

Thanks for all your help! So changed it to alarms & still nothing. Going to try power it down tomorrow but that involves turning off the mains. If that fails going to try a different phone provider & again if I have no joy going to bin the lot!!

Thanks for all your help! So changed it to alarms & still nothing. Going to try power it down tomorrow but that involves turning off the mains. If that fails going to try a different phone provider & again if I have no joy going to bin the lot!!

That is strange if you had it set on alerts and it did work, now changed back to alarms it wont. I would try the down power. I cant see a different service provider making any difference if you are getting the alerts.

It's a miracle it's sending messages again. Thank you altor you saved me a call out fee at the very least. One last thing, any idea how to change the name on each sensor? For example if I set of the kitchen window the message comes through calling it back door.

It's a miracle it's sending messages again. Thank you altor you saved me a call out fee at the very least. One last thing, any idea how to change the name on each sensor? For example if I set of the kitchen window the message comes through calling it back door.

Brilliant, glad I could help :)

The system will only give the name programmed into the zone.
    If you have engineer access you can change the name in defining zone types/names.

• Advertisement
Advertisement