Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Swapping my car

Options
  • 24-10-2011 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Have no clue about cars so here goes,

My mate wants to swap his renault clio 03 for my ford mondeo 03.

My mondeo has 130000 miles on it with nct on it til jan 2013,

His clio is the same but has 80000 miles on it,

My mondeo is a thirsty thing on the juice but a great car so was already thinking of trading, and i heard renaults are not great cars so i am bit confused. Is this worth my while or will i just stick to the mondeo?

Any advise grateful:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

keep you mondeo, it'd be a big step back wards going to a slower, worse handling, less reliable & comfortable hatchback. Unless your just looking small car beat round town inn.

do the maths on how much peotential fuel saving there actually might be, it could be less than you imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

cheers for the advice,,,

Just trying to get as much info as i can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

If he's a good mate then forget it. Never EVER sell a car to friends or family it'll only end in tears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

I sold a car to a good mate. I was completely honest with him though about it's history. And it was a steal of a price... There I go jinxing it! It'll probably blow up tomorrow or soemthing...

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Im not too concerned about the friends part,

I am more into the car end of it, Would it be much a difference in petrol costs for my 1.8 to his 1.4?

I also want to get the girlfriend driving so a smaller like that would suit her but not sure for myself...

Is it worth face value a straight swap or should i be asking for a few quid on top of swap?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Notch000 wrote: »
    keep you mondeo, it'd be a big step back wards going to a slower, worse handling, less reliable & comfortable hatchback. Unless your just looking small car beat round town inn.

do the maths on how much peotential fuel saving there actually might be, it could be less than you imagine

I disagree, it'd be a decent way out of the mondeo. Those petrol mondeos are hard to sell, they are hard on fuel (as you know), burn oil and there is a glut on sale right now.

The clio may be easy to shift on for a car you really want.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

as a previous mondeo owner be it the 1.8 petrol as much as a lovely car they are to drive they are really a thirsty car, i went through a savage amount of money on petrol until i reluctantly parted with it, i would say it would be a smart move going for the clio (so long as you have it checked over) as you get a cheaper car to run, tax, insure and generally keep on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Gary ITR wrote: »
    If he's a good mate then forget it. Never EVER sell a car to friends or family it'll only end in tears

Id have to agree, Sold a 323F to an uncle for his son. Lads first learning car and he burned out the clutch within 2 months.

Apparently I sold it with the knowledge a learner would burn the clutch out.......

Advertisement