Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on correct system requirements

Options
  • 23-02-2015 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm looking into getting a wireless system that will call/text when the alarm is tripped. The Siemens gear looks good as I can remotely log in etc

I don't have a clue as to what would be overkill on a system regards motion sensors, window/door sensors.

The house is a 3 bed semi with 10 window openings and 3 door entrances. Would alarming all of these and not bothering with motion sensors be recommended or would I be better off with a mix of both? I know you can't give a specific answer but in general what would be the normal type of installation in a home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

circadian wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm looking into getting a wireless system that will call/text when the alarm is tripped. The Siemens gear looks good as I can remotely log in etc

I don't have a clue as to what would be overkill on a system regards motion sensors, window/door sensors.

The house is a 3 bed semi with 10 window openings and 3 door entrances. Would alarming all of these and not bothering with motion sensors be recommended or would I be better off with a mix of both? I know you can't give a specific answer but in general what would be the normal type of installation in a home?

I would also have a look at the RISCO system.

Perimeter protection is a must on any system backed up by a few PIRs. this would normally be two. One on the landing and one in the hall but if you felt you had more vulnerable areas in your home then more could be added.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Siemens is good, but will require third party devices if you want inertia shock sensors.
    Risco or GSD would also be a good option here as instead of using text or voice diallers you can use there apps for free notifications & free remote access via apps.
    The plus side for Risco & Siemens is you can also access your panel from any web browser as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

Great advice, cheers folks I'll have a shop around for those systems.

Much appreciated.

Great advice, cheers folks I'll have a shop around for those systems.

Much appreciated.

No probs, any other questions let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

For the IP based systems, if there is a power cut of the Internet goes down. The system cannot be checked and you will not get notifications, correct.??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

batman2000 wrote: »
    For the IP based systems, if there is a power cut of the Internet goes down. The system cannot be checked and you will not get notifications, correct.??

Unless your router power is backed up by a UPS, then yes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It would depend on what service provider you are using.You could use a wireless provider with a dongle powered from the panel & backed up by the panels battery etc.

If you use GPRS as a back up to your router you will get notifications if the router is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm having trouble finding a reputable Risco installer in Dublin. If someone has any experience with installers please feel free to pm me. Cheers.

As an update to this you will get notifications on a GSD system as they now are offering free polling. Also a nice feature where you will receive a smash and grap notification if the panel is attacked.

• Advertisement

I'm having trouble finding a reputable Risco installer in Dublin. If someone has any experience with installers please feel free to pm me. Cheers.

If you contact a few of the suppliers here they will point you in the right direction.

Advertisement