Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Where do atheists come from?"

• 18-03-2010 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

a very small number of Britons typically label themselves as "atheist" or "agnostic" (most surveys put it at about 5 per cent)
    In the UK, for example, a sizeable 43 per cent said they had "no religion" in the 2008 BSA survey
    In this article, for instance, we have danced between "atheistic", "non-theistic", "non-religious", "unbelieving" and "godless" as if they were synonyms.

eh? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Who has correlated general higher education with atheism?

I've seen intelligence being correlated with atheism, but general education? I don't think it matters. Intelligence even is subject to the knowledge a person digests, so the smartest man alive may still believe in a theistic God.

I think a person only becomes open to the stance of Atheism when their chosen path of Education rubs up against their beliefs in some fashion. Is a scientist going to take into account the variable of God interfering by answering someone's prayer while he is performing a test... etc, can someone be a sociologist, paleontologist, biologist and still deny evolution due to their beliefs?

I'd fully expect that a person studying in the arts, for example, will not encounter a reason to turn away from their familial or chosen beliefs and religion. They may leave their belief behind due to a series of other influences, but their education alone does not necessitate a lack of belief.

Belief for many is comfortable, and Xenu knows humans like consistency and habit, there has to be some form of mental or emotional fork in the road where they will be forced to make a choice between their belief and their view of reality. The vast majority of subjects that can be studied at Universities will never require this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

WAIT WAIT WAIT

I'll read the rest of the article in a while but this kind of stuck out a little:
    What is more, the survey shows a far stronger correlation between education and certain "irrational" beliefs: for example, only 29.6 per cent of those without even an elementary education believe in telepathy, compared with 51.8 per cent of people with degree-level education.

51.8 per cent of college attendees believe in telepathy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Zillah wrote: »
    That one shocked me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I think people are assuming that by college attendees, the article predominantly means science or engineering students, but the attendees in question could be studying anything, like homeopathy or football culture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I posted this 2 weeks ago in the "Interesting Stuff" thread, but never mind you can steal my thunder. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

I knew it first :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

God Knows! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I was found in a cabbage patch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I wonder what happened when someone flew above the clouds and found out heaven wasn't there...?

So they found out that the more educated you get, you believe in less fairytales?

Or putting it another way: the more you learn about the universe that you exist in, the less answers you can gain from which ever holy book you read.

I had a few questions, and the priests couldn't answer. Nor could the religous people. And thus I looked. Not many answers out there, or I was told "you gotta have faith" if the question startled them.

Bullsh|t, says I. If you don't have all the answers, I'll look elsewhere. I wonder how many turned their back on religion due to a lack of answers. I did find answers in a physics book, in a geography book, in books about real stuff. The more my education expanded my knowledge, the less I believed in the crap stuff into my mind.

Rereading through parts of the quoted article, it seems that people question why we don't believe in the fairytales.

I wonder: is it because we have a better understanding of the universe, or is it that we no longer see proof of a hell? That, due to the lack of fear of dying, we are not driven into churches?

Coupled with the prosperity of the last couple of years, we see no point in going to church. I mention prosperity, as before the boom lots of people seemed to goto church, and now that the sh|t has hit the fan, people are going back to the church to pray for a way out.

Sometimes, it's easier to pray to a magical god in the sky for a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

WAIT WAIT WAIT

I'll read the rest of the article in a while but this kind of stuck out a little:

Most of them are probably first year undergrads who've been reading Carrie too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

What % of people believe bad things happen in 3's, or magpies are bad luck.

Majority of people are clueless sheep who will believe anything once it is said enough times to them.

Advertisement