Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JD 6400 tractor brake going to floor.

Options
  • 09-07-2015 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭

Was out topping with my JD 6400 tuesday evening and had footbrakes split for turning on headlands. When using lefthand brake pedal i noticed it was gone very soft so much so that it would go to the floor. If i pumped it a few times it would start gripping but not very effectively and pedal would still go to its limit.
    When i went to bleed the brakes yesterday i discovered a leaking pipe going to steering orbital unit. I replaced this today. I thought it might improve the situation as the steering needs to be turned when bleeding the brakes. Alas no improvement. The right hand brake is good and when pressed hard a high pitched buzzing can be heard from some valve up behind the cab.
    I've bled the brakes as per the manual both on the cylinders over the pedals and outside at the rear of the cab.
    The 2 half housings were opened in the last 3 years to sort sticking brakes and new O rings were fitted to the pistons. Anyone with any suggestions to my little problem or experienced a similar problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Anyone at all willing to make a suggestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I wouldn't be too familiar with these, but does it have a separate master cylinder for each side? Maybe the seals or the cylinder is worn on the left side?

might be clutching at straws.................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

id say seals gone on a master cylinder or possibility a problem with a equalizer valve, maybe equaliser valve is air locked.

Just an update on this. Pulled out master cylinder unit but found nothing unusual. Refitted it but still had the same problem. Found that the 2 brake pipes have connections under the cab on right side. Swapping these connections caused the right brake pedal to go to the floor instead. This indicated that problem was in left rear axle.
    Opening the left half housing revealed the problem. One side of the brake disc had all but disintegrated. The brake material is only glued onto a smooth steel disc. Removed back axle sump plug and screen and scraped out all the missing brake material. Ended up opening right hand side housing as well and replacing both brake discs. Right side was intact but was beginning to part from the steel disc. Discs were €175 inc vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

Just an update on this. Pulled out master cylinder unit but found nothing unusual. Refitted it but still had the same problem. Found that the 2 brake pipes have connections under the cab on right side. Swapping these connections caused the right brake pedal to go to the floor instead. This indicated that problem was in left rear axle.
    Opening the left half housing revealed the problem. One side of the brake disc had all but disintegrated. The brake material is only glued onto a smooth steel disc. Removed back axle sump plug and screen and scraped out all the missing brake material. Ended up opening right hand side housing as well and replacing both brake discs. Right side was intact but was beginning to part from the steel disc. Discs were €175 inc vat.

Good job foxy. Discs were reasonable.

• Advertisement

Good job foxy. Discs were reasonable.

These were genuine parts from JMC Parts in west cork. Didnt try anyone else. Brakes could have got a roasting with an unbraked tipping trailer last year. Hopefully she'll be trouble free for a while now.
    edit sorry €175a piece350 in total

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

These were genuine parts from JMC Parts in west cork. Didnt try anyone else. Brakes could have got a roasting with an unbraked tipping trailer last year. Hopefully she'll be trouble free for a while now.

Those boys are normally fairly on the ball for prices anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

Not bad all the same. The deeres never liked an unbraked trailer.
    I suppose no tractor likes em if the truth be told !

Not bad all the same. The deeres never liked an unbraked trailer.
    I suppose no tractor likes em if the truth be told !

Saw a JD 3650 ripped 5 times in 12months after brakes went down to metal. Was sold afterwards but the damage was done- steering brakes lift control hyd pump all fooked. Whoever bought it had a nightmare on their hands.

Advertisement