Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International rugby and the set piece.

• 02-01-2008 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

I've had my thinking cap on over christmas and i've come up with this.
    I reckon that it's become much more difficult to get a clean line break off a set piece (against top class oposition) in the last year or two. Except for individual errors (missed tackles and such), the pre-prepared back line moves seem to be working less and less.

Agree/Disagree?

I think the kiwis in particular have adapted by doing away with the first phase set play altogether. They seem to focus on well-supported crash balls and quick recycling on first phase ball.

This is problematic for an Irish side which has depended a lot on the set piece playbook during the EOS era. We've seen them try intricite moves and get stuffed ten yards backwards quite a lot of late. Most commentators have tended to blame this on a dodgy scrum, but is it perhaps a more global trend at work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I agree with you. That is why I hope that prosed rule change to move players not involved in a scrum to have to stand 5 metres back comes in. It will open up backline play and allow for more creative attacking rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I don't agree that the kiwis concentrate less on the set piece. If you watched Saracens v's Newcastle at the weekend you'd have seen one of the best tightheads in the world in Hayman and one of the best lineout forwards in Chris Jack doing their stuff in the Premiership to great effect.

The kiwis have just concentrated less on highly structured play like complex moves and gone more for heads up rugby, that is giving your players the tools to play great rugby and trusting them to know what option to take at any given time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

dub_skav wrote: »
    I don't agree that the kiwis concentrate less on the set piece.
    I mightn't have been clear. I'm talking about what happens after the set-piece has delivered clean possession: the first phase pre-rehearsed 'move'.

Edit:
    dub_skav wrote: »
    The kiwis have just concentrated less on highly structured play like complex moves..
    Oh, ok. You did get my point. Nevermind then :).

Advertisement