Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matt Williams set to land Ulster job

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Jigsaw wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/ulster/7152656.stm

So I see he used to manage Leinster. What is the general consensus on the guy? Is he the man to deliver Ulster from the rugby doldrums?

Short run no.......long term maybe get them back to at least winning one or two games.

He did alright with Leinster not fantastic though but that was the days of the birth of professionalism when no one had a clue what to do and he came in getting all these fitness plans, doctors etc

At least his style suits Ulster keep it going wide and live of broken play.

Better then no one i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Stev_o wrote: »
    Better then no one i guess

Not to be facetious, but 'no one' would be far better....Gorgeous Mattie is an absolute muppet. He was utterly useless during his tenure at Leinster, divisive with horrendous man and squad management skills, interested only in self promotion and covering his own ass.

His time in charge of Scotland was a catastrophe for Scottish rugby, nothing but gimmickry and posturing with a marked and unattractive propensity for shovelling blame away from himself and on to players heads. Ulster will rue the day if they do appoint the man....dark days ahead for the red hand I'm afraid....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Was checking out the BBC website there and it seems to be a done deal. IRFU and Ulster branch bigwigs were meeting in a hotel in Belfast today. Seems they are just putting the finishing touches to the deal.

That does not sound encouraging Toomevara. Is he really as bad as all that? :eek:

Jigsaw, you may have gathered I'm most definitely not a fan, but he does seem to be a guy who polarises opinion. People seem to love or hate him. I believe he is a relentless self publicist, a bit of a snake oil salesman, who talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. He had initial success with Leinster but the wheels came off quickly enough and he left alot of rancour and bitterness in his wake especially among squad members.

Mention his name to any scottish rugby fan and you're likely to induce apoplexy. He is widely regarded as the man who set professional rugby in Scotland back 5 years, for a whole host of reasons, not the least of which was his demented 'fortress scotland' policy...

He left both Leinster and Scotland in ignominy, doesn't bode well for the Ulstermen imo....

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

toomevara wrote: »
    Jigsaw, you may have gathered I'm most definitely not a fan, but he does seem to be a guy who polarises opinion. People seem to love or hate him. I believe he is a relentless self publicist, a bit of a snake oil salesman, who talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. He had initial success with Leinster but the wheels came off quickly enough and he left alot of rancour and bitterness in his wake especially among squad members.

Mention his name to any scottish rugby fan and you're likely to induce apoplexy. He is widely regarded as the man who set professional rugby in Scotland back 5 years, for a whole host of reasons, not the least of which was his demented 'fortress scotland' policy...

He left both Leinster and Scotland in ignominy, doesn't bode well for the Ulstermen imo....

I don't think Ulster could be doing much worse TBH....and I think a big name like MW might spur some players back to life. Boss, Wallace, all the Bests, Trimble etc seem completely disinterested - I'd love to know what went on during the RWC as it seems to have killed the passion from a lot of players

• Advertisement

...and I think a big name like MW might spur some players back to

I agree that Ulster need some serious help in the form of a big name coach who knows what he's doing. Unfortunately imo, the only place Matt Williams is a 'big name' is in his own head. He is most definitely not the man to rescue Ulster from their current woes...Also the RWC debacle doesn't seem to have impacted as negatively on the players of other provinces, I think the malaise in Ulster runs deeper than that....

I reckon that Boss, Wallace and Trimble (especially) have all been chronically over rated...never delivered on the hype...

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

I agree that Ulster need some serious help in the form of a big name coach who knows what he's doing. Unfortunately imo, the only place Matt Williams is a 'big name' is in his own head. He is most definitely not the man to rescue Ulster from their current woes...Also the RWC debacle doesn't seem to have impacted as negatively on the players of other provinces, I think the malaise in Ulster runs deeper than that....

I reckon that Boss, Wallace and Trimble (especially) have all been chronically over rated...never delivered on the hype...

Personally I think the RWC has affected *all* of the players however the leaderships in the various provintial camps have been different in how they've dealt with it. Kidney seems to be the only one who's dealt with it as the players you're talking about who don't seem to be negatively affected are the Munster players. O'Gara, Flannery, Leamy, Wallace et al seem to be fine while O'Driscoll, D'Arcy, Horgan etc appear to be still stuck in a rut.

On that point, the 'future Irish stars' i.e. Heaslip, Jennings, Cullen, Sexton & Co, on the surface it would like they're sensing this negativity and seeing their own potential gain from this fallout. I reckon it has alot to do with why we're seeing them take a step up in their performances. It's almost as though the 'invincibles' aren't as invincible after all.

I could be way off the mark but from being at every Leinster home game this season you can almost sense this going on.

I do completely agree that the Ulster boys with the exception of Neil Best have been entirely overhyped and were never in a position to deliver anything other than a mediocre performance at international level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Shan75

Totally agree regarding Williams.His record shows him in a bad light.His time with Scotland was a disaster.I think part of his problem was he was trying to get the team to play in a style they were unable to do.Basically the type of game he wants to play needs highly skilled individuals.The fact that he was unable to adapt his ideas to the players at his disposal shows that he is a poor coach.Ulster can only get worse with him at the helm.

On the point about the three players mentioned I think:
    Boss is too slow and I think even the Ulster fans are starting to realise this
    Wallace had potential I believe but has been messed around for far too long to realise it.The World Cup episode is surely the last straw.Any confidence he may have had left must have been destroyed.O'Gara had a nightmare by anybody's standards and still he was not asked to come on.
    Trimble still has potential to be a decent player.He made a few mistakes, no doubt, defensively but at least showed an interest in trying to create something which sadly the majority of the team were unable to do(except for BOD who ironically has looked in worse form than anybody since the end of the world cup)He is really a centre anyway but will never get a chance to show if he is up to it for Ireland unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Will MW be bring his ever present right hand man from leinster and scotland, Willie Anderson with him ? It'd be good for the fans to have a nordie involved in the Ulster management again !

Old mattie-boy just signed a two and a half year contract....God help 'em...well i suppose they can't get any worse....or can they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote: »

Hope I'm completely wrong...time will tell I s'pose.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

daveirl wrote: »

cus he never managed munster and ireland? or douglas....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

Advertisement