Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend GPS watch

Options
  • 23-10-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

My wife has really gotten into running in the last year and I am looking to get her a GPS watch for her birthday.

Can anybody recommend a specific brand or point me in the direction of sites where I might get one in and around the 100 Euro mark?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Garmin Forerunner 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I have the nike watch, wouldn't recommend it, you have to plug it into the computer every other day to get it to find a satellite,
    Not sure if you've to do that with every GPS watch though??

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

RayCun wrote: »
    Garmin Forerunner 10

Yeap, that, or the newer Forerunner 15 ... pretty much the same thing from a running PoV, but with "fitness band" style functionality bolted on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭arknine

new Polar M400 looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-410-noh.html

older watch,supports a hrm and less of a need to future upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

rom wrote: »
    http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-410-noh.html

older watch,supports a hrm and less of a need to future upgrade.

While it will work fine, its quite a bulky watch, especially if she has small wrists.
    The 10 or 15 are much closer to a standard watch size. There's also the new polar m400 as suggested but you're heading higher in price with that one.
    Have a look at the reviews on www.dcrainmaker.com to get a better idea of what each watch can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

I recently took a plunge and got one in Aldi for about €70. Battery life is good and comes with HRM. They might still have them in store as it was a few weeks before I bought it that they originally got them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

Amazon Deal of the Deal is the Forerunner 10.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/deals
    40%off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Personally I'd recommend the Garmin forerunner 110 over the 10 . It's a little more expensive but it has the heart rate monitor facility which as a novice runner I have found really useful . If buying the 110 make sure the heart belt comes with it , some shops sell it seperately .

Just had a look on amazon and the Garmin 110 has been replaced by the 220 .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

If you are looking at the Garmin 220 then the Polar M400 represents far better value at €100 less and many more features.

The whole GPS market is exploding at the moment with lots of changes happening across all the brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Where are you seeing the polar for 100 less than the garmin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

The Muppet wrote: »
    Where are you seeing the polar for 100 less than the garmin?

On my shelf!! :)

Garmin FR220 RRP €319, Polar M400 RRP €204.50

Advertisement