Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Grinds

Options
  • 22-10-2014 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi, I'm in my final year of a Media and Irish degree. I was thinking of giving Irish grinds. Obviously I don't have my degree yet so I'm aware that Leaving Cert. students might be reluctant to receive tuition from me but what about Junior Certs? Any advice? Thank you. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

emerald27 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in my final year of a Media and Irish degree. I was thinking of giving Irish grinds. Obviously I don't have my degree yet so I'm aware that Leaving Cert. students might be reluctant to receive tuition from me but what about Junior Certs? Any advice? Thank you. :)

I would say that Junior Cert grinds would be expecting the same level of service as a Leaving Cert grind would.
    If you intend to give grinds, you really need to familiarise yourself with the syllabi, exam structure/technique and marking schemes as well as provide notes and sample answers.
    I would also be upfront with parents about not being a qualified teacher.
    You have nothing to lose by advertising and see if there is an interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 emerald27

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

If you gave a good knowledge of irish grammar I'd highlight that cos from what I can see wit my own kids and their friends, it's an area where teaching falls very short. In primary it's not taught cos it's perceived as too hard and by secondary they are supposed to know it so it's not taught.

Hi The Simpsons, I have a pretty good knowledge of Irish grammar as it's one of the core areas of Irish in college and I do agree that there's not enough emphasis on Irish grammar in school, which is very silly as there's so much essay writing, especially at Higher Level. Thank you for replying to my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hi The Simpsons, I have a pretty good knowledge of Irish grammar as it's one of the core areas of Irish in college and I do agree that there's not enough emphasis on Irish grammar in school, which is very silly as there's so much essay writing, especially at Higher Level. Thank you for replying to my post.

Essays can be used as a grammar exercise e.g. for tenses
    People also complain that theres not enough emphasis on oral work in school, you just can't win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Just go for it! You have the willingness to learn the material & do the prep time. If you nearly have a degree, Junior Cert will be easy for you to understand. Don't let anyone stop you. Good luck-go get your piece of the pie.

Thank u!

Advertisement