Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Labour should step aside, awkward opposition

Options
  • 26-02-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Just a few comments and thoughts...
    Well, we can say with fair certainty that it will be a FG-Lab government, I have honestly no doubt that there will be alot of anger amongst the public as the next year/2 years progress, there will be even harsher cuts, there will be more threats to our corporation tax, it is unlikely we will see a change in unemployment or our negative equity issues being dealt with,we will see Enda waffling his way around questions, just the way he did the other night on Vincent Brown. We will probably see squabbling between the 2 coalition parties. We will probably see alot of blame on FF for a long time , the people will get very tired of this. To sum up, the only change will be a change for the worse, no matter whos fault it was in the first place.

Generally its nice to have an opposition to route for, but all we're going to have here is Sinn Fein who seemed to be laughed at by everyone, FF , we wont even go there, and independents who dont represent a party.

I think Labour could be extremely strong if they opted out of a potential coalition government now, I believe if they had the will, they could hang on 5 years (or even less) and eventually be in government by themselves. They would be an extremely powerful opposition.

Instead, people are no going to feel they've no one to pay attention to

I think now we will see a huge rise in SF popularity, the likes of Pearse doherty will be a key opposition figure, and I believe strong independent candidates will become very very popular, the likes of Ming Flanagan.
    Anyway my point is, that I think its a shame Labour are throwing away a big opportunity here, they will come out weak by the end of this, I am sure of that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Yeah if Labour went into oppostion they would become a much bigger party , probably biggest come next election
    They will now go into coalition, make unpopular cuts and gets destroyed in the next election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

If Labour insisted on going into opposition, they could probably be the biggest Irish political party within a decade.

Instead, short term ambitions will get the better of the party, and they will suffer at Fine Gael's expense during the next General election. Following on from that election, Fianna fail could pick up ground again and it would be a case of 'as you were' for Irish politics.

All of this is possibility for now, but barring a significant new entry into Irish politics, it's hard to see things any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Not all of the eggs are hatched yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

true, im probably jumping to conclusions, its very possible Labour will be opposition, I think they would be alot stronger, and be capable of much better stronger decisions on their own as a main political party rather than tying themselves up with FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'll get it out of the way that I'm a FG voter first.

But, I think, for Labour, they'd do better in the long run not to be in Government now. My thoughts of Labour aside.

It'd have the added bonus for most people of damaging FF further, not even managing to be the largest opposition party.

The most predicted outcome is indeed a FG/Lab coalition. However, on radio today I've heard FG numbers as low as 70 seats and as high as 80 :confused:

For arguments sake, if FG did get 80 seats, they may be able to hammer out a better deal with like minded Independents.

At this moment of the day I believe it's too early to say yet, but my guess remains with FG/Lab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 timothybryce

Good who wants a union party in control of the country.

Advertisement