Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD Bachelor Graduation

Options
  • 27-10-2014 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

What goes down during the ceremony? Great mysteries.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Everyone sits down in their gowns (and caps for the ladies).
    Sit through the ceremony, which is all in latin, so you understand none of it.
    Then they start calling people's names and you follow the instructions of the people who seem to know what they're doing.
    Collect your cert.
    Sit down.
    Wait for ceremony to finish.
    Get pictures.
    Throw your cap (if a lady)
    Give your gown back.
    Go out with your family to dinner.
    Meet up with your class mates.
    The End.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Larianne wrote: »
    Sit through the ceremony, which is all in latin, so you understand none of it.
    Then they start calling people's names and you follow the instructions of the people who seem to know what they're doing.
    Collect your cert.
    Sit down.
    Wait for ceremony to finish.
    Get pictures.
    Throw your cap (if a lady)
    Give your gown back.
    Go out with your family to dinner.
    Meet up with your class mates.
    The End.

How long does the actual ceremony last?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Things have changed since my day, so. We all got inducted into the Illuminati and they slaughtered a goat to Satan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

zam wrote: »
    I heard two hours

I was wondering about seating arrangements, do we have to find names on seats or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

It depends on how many people are graduating but yeah it's about two hours. There's assigned seats, in my ceremony it was by course, then degree class, then alphabetically, which is the order you graduate in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

There was only 3 courses graduating when I did and they were small classes. It was about 45 minutes. So it depends on your course and who you're with.

There is a particular seating arrangement, but I can't remember how it went..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I think it's an hour and a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

My ceremony lasted around an hour. As for seating arrangements, we were seated according to degree class, with all the courses mixed together (there were 10+ small courses at my ceremony); within degree classes it's done alphabetically. They start with Gold Medals, and proceed through to Thirds at the end. At least that's how it was in my day :D

Does anyone know if you can bring a bag into the ceremony?

Unless it's a suitcase, you should be fine. Can't remember if there's anything in the rules about it, but in practice, as long as its not huge, there'll be no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 arboroia

It should be possible to leave a suitcase in the arts block cloak room, rather than bring it into the ceremony

arboroia wrote: »
    It should be possible to leave a suitcase in the arts block cloak room, rather than bring it into the ceremony

No suitcases, just want to bring spare shoes and a coat and my phone and stuff. Good to know I can bring it in :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

If your parents or a friend are/is coming to the ceremony with you, get them to mind the bag ;) That way you don't have to remember it etc., plus I found the chairs were pretty tightly packed so getting in & out was a bit of a challenge, even without a bag swinging from you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Things have changed since my day, so. We all got inducted into the Illuminati and they slaughtered a goat to Satan.

Did that happen in the Atrium?

What a fantastic space for a bit of the aul inducting and slaughterin'

Congratulations to all who are graduating, great buzz around the place. First year myself but I have a funny feeling time is going to fly!

Had mine, FYI for all others it was just under an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Mine ran for about an hour and 15 minutes-ish

And they do put names on seats in case anyone else was wondering!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

Larianne wrote: »

Caps are optional, so don't feel like you have to wear one if you don't want to!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

innad wrote: »
    Caps are optional, so don't feel like you have to wear one if you don't want to!

...though the idea that there's some symbolism there in terms of them being a 'cap' on the woman's education, isn't true. Not implying you think that, but many people seem to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

andrew wrote: »
    ...though the idea that there's some symbolism there in terms of them being a 'cap' on the woman's education, isn't true. Not implying you think that, but many people seem to.

The real reason is actually far more interesting.

234 wrote: »
    The real reason is actually far more interesting.

C'mon don't leave us hanging.

I figured they wore them for the same reason women wear hats and weddings and stuff. Not that I know the reason for that either.

• Advertisement

There's another urban myth that men threw their caps away in protest at the admission of women to universities. Think I heard that that myth stems from St Andrew's.

Most likely the tradition comes from a combination of two things I read:

1.Men don't wear hats inside, whereas women do.

2. Men traditionally have been less careful of their rented caps.

Combine 1 and 2, and you get greater 'hat loss and damage' for men who would have to keep hold of their caps indoors, versus women who'd have them pinned to their heads.

Anyway, the idea that the cap thing is a 'cap on female education' is easily dispelled by noting that the caps and the wearing of them existed long, long before women were allowed into universities.

C'mon don't leave us hanging.

I figured they wore them for the same reason women wear hats and weddings and stuff. Not that I know the reason for that either.

Pretty much what others said: mortarboards were common in the past. However, as men removed their hats when indoors, they eventually got fed up and there was no real pressure to retain the tradition. Women, however, are permitted to wear hats indoors so this was never an issue for them.

Over time the reason has been forgotten and the habit has hardened into what may now perceive to be a rule: men don't wear them, women do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭DuchessduJour

Probably a stupid question, but I've noticed from facebook photos that some graduates seem to have a white furry part to their gown while others don't. Is there anything behind this? :)

Probably a stupid question, but I've noticed from facebook photos that some graduates seem to have a white furry part to their gown while others don't. Is there anything behind this? :)

Yep. The white fur is for B.A's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭DuchessduJour

Yep. The white fur is for B.A's

Perfect, thanks for the link! I was fairly sure people graduating from my course didn't have that furry addition, so that makes sense. It's really interesting how diverse the gowns and hoods are!

Perfect, thanks for the link! I was fairly sure people graduating from my course didn't have that furry addition, so that makes sense. It's really interesting how diverse the gowns and hoods are!

Trinity is one of the few universities that has a relatively logical system for gowns and hoods in terms of colour and shape. If you discount the new degrees it's usually easy to recognise at a glance what degree the graduand is proceeding to.

Advertisement