Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texts and tests 1

Options
  • 22-10-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys quick questions I am confusing myself with a question in the problem solves and I was wondering can anyone help

"passenger fell asleep on a train when it was half way to his destination he slept till he had half as far to go as he went while he slept what fraction of the journey was he sleeping"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

aine2014 wrote: »
    Hi guys quick questions I am confusing myself with a question in the problem solves and I was wondering can anyone help

"passenger fell asleep on a train when it was half way to his destination he slept till he had half as far to go as he went while he slept what fraction of the journey was he sleeping"
    Part of being able to do the question is being able to work out what the question is looking for (in 'project maths' especially). I'm guessing you're a student and if so, you should really be trying to work it out yourself and if you can't, ask someone at home to help.

It is a little difficult to follow but you can work out what's required from the information given. I'd recommend you draw a diagram, if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 aine2014

Hi no i am the teacher and I keep getting 1/4 but the book says 1/3 and I am just checking I am not missing something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

1/3 is correct.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Completely sure this is not how you are supposed to work it out as I went to school before calculators, but...

Sleep plus half a sleep = half the journey

sleep + Sleep/2 = 1/2
    1 1/2 sleeps = 1/2
    3/2 sleeps = 1/2
    3 sleep = 1
    sleep = 1/3

Then to check it,
    Journey 60 mins - 30 mins into journey sleep for 20 mins until 10 mins left
    Journey 90 mins - 45 mins into journey sleep for 30 mins until 15 mins left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

jeez who writes these.. any type of language difficulty and yer goosed. An auld full stop or comma wouldnt go amiss either...

Ya I think theyre is a little ambiguity in the "far to go"...
    Maybe it could have qualified far to go.... to the end of the journey. It might seems obvious untill it appears that he is going back into the past.

I believe the 'spurious conjecture' :) is valid but are 1st/2nd yr. students supposed to logic this out the same way? Im still doubting the question is legit because of the syntax. Something fishy....

Tell me its not in the introduction to fractions chapter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Absolutely RIDICULOUSLY difficult level of English for any 21st Century child .

"he slept till he had half as far to go as he went while he slept"

From the half way point he had another half left to travel.

Of this half he spent twice as much asleep as awake .

So he spent two of three thirds (of the half)asleep .

Two thirds multiplied by a half is a third.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Might help drawing the journey as a fraction line? Marking off 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/6 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6 aine2014

Its a real question, I was typing it out so fast that I didn't put in the syntax and it is in the common introduction book in the problem solving questions. Thank you all for the help though it is going to be a tough one to explain to my 1st years but I am sure we will get there in the end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I wouldnt bother .... yould be pitching that to about 2 students.. and even then they probably would have it sussed or not anyway.

Do a similar easier one... main thing is draw a timeline...

Advertisement