Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robot components

Options
  • 30-01-2004 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi,

Not too sure if this is the most appropriate place fot this post but here goes.
    I've recently become interested in building robots but I dont know where to find the parts I need. I have looked on the net but havent found what I'm looking for.

Does anyone know of places where you can get/buy old printers (for motors and servos etc) cheaply. Also are there any hobby shops or radioshack type places in ireland which sell electronic components. Im in Galway and I dont know of any such places around but I could be wrong.

Greatly appreciate any help I could get.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Maplins sell lots of electronic components. I hear they're opening a shop in Galway, but I don't know if its open yet. If you can get to Dublin, they have a store in/around the parnell st. area (not sure of its address).

they have a website too, UK prices only though afaik
    www.maplin.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Servos can be bought at good model shops. I dunno if Mark's Models have a Galway branch?
    Scavenging is your best bet for motors. Windscreen wiper and electric window motors are quite powerful, enough to easily transport a car battery. It's worth wandering through a breaker's yard with a screwdriver ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

FWIW, the only evidence of Maplin in Galway yet is a slot in the sign outside the new Wellpark commercial park; as of last week, they don't even have a phone number (was looking for a hard disk in a hurry, checked with Directory Enquiries)

IMHO, the only economical way to build robots is to buy motors/gear assemblies from the kinds of places that take overstock from big companies/ex-equipment parts (such as Greenweld (.co.uk) in the UK or places like All Electronics (.com) in the U.S. - buying these parts brand new (and to order) is viciously expensive.

HTH,
    Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

www.farnell.com/ie
    www.radionics.ie

You'll need to learn how to use a microcontroller, i recommend getting the stk500 starter board from radionics. It programs the atmel micro which is good for hobbyist stuff

YOu say
    have looked on the net but havent found what I'm looking for.

I doubt you have. There are literally millions of people out there into robotics.

Search for Pic , avr, atmel, robot etc and you wont go far wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Drakon

I meant that I couldnt find any places around Ireland that I could get parts from at a reasonable price. I looked at farnell and radionics but was looking mainly for places that have motors and things that I could scavenge or pick up cheaply. Buying the necessary components new is out of my price range.

Having said that I recently found some surplus stores in England that sell components at reasonable prices.

Thanks a for all the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Andypi

Hi,
    I'm building a cheap budget robot (70 euro)in college to compete in a robo sumo competition in a few weeks time. I'm making good progress but I'm stuck on what motors and wheels to buy, and I was wondering if you guys might be able to help me? The whole robot has fit in side a 10cmx10cm square and must not weigh over 500 grams.

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Please don't bump 10 year old threads. This forum is better suited to your query.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement