Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOS. Need help quick

Options
  • 14-06-2014 7:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭

I'm after putting a nail through a pipe in the bathroom. Place flooded. Got the supply turned off at the stop cock in the attic but now need the pipe fixed and somehow without the landlord. Who isn't answering his phone. (And will go mad anyways)
    We've no money whatsoever but I can try borrow it. What sort of money am I looking at for a call out? It can wait til Monday I guess, but it's gonna have to be fixed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

david75 wrote: »
    I'm after putting a nail through a pipe in the bathroom. Place flooded. Got the supply turned off at the stop cock in the attic but now need the pipe fixed and somehow without the landlord. Who isn't answering his phone. (And will go mad anyways)
    We've no money whatsoever but I can try borrow it. What sort of money am I looking at for a call out? It can wait til Monday I guess, but it's gonna have to be fixed.

Depending on where you located expect anything from €40-€70 again depending on access to the pipe hit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Hey
    Dublin 7. Pipes in a wall behind some plaster board&plastic wall covering, jut above the taps on the bathtub.
    Was gonna cut the wall covering/plaster myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Hey
    Dublin 7. Pipes in a wall behind some plaster board&plastic wall covering, jut above the taps on the bathtub.
    Was gonna cut the wall covering/plaster myself.

If you open up the wall to access pipes your probably looking at the €60 mark
    Some of the lads here cover that area you might get PMs

Cool thanks man. I'll open it up. Carefully

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I wouldn't ring someone that advertises emergency plumber, 24 hour plumber etc. A lot of these (not all) as soon as you say emergency they charge twice the price, as they would have you believe that they dropped everything to do your job first. (please I did say not all)

2 years ago a neighbour of mine (85) had age action or action energy in to insulate her attic. One of the guys must have put his weight on a pipe. A 3/4" pipe came loose. After a few hours she noticed a few drops of water an the carpet and a wet patch on the ceiling. She rang a plumber. He came out at 5:15 pm. He tightened the fitting and left at half 5pm.€150 because it was out of working hours. She said he spent longer fussing writing out the invoice than he did in the attic. An 85 year old woman living on her own. Shame on him

• Advertisement

Yeah I have the cockstop blocked in the attic tank to stop the flow.
    With the result the cistern isn't filling and one of the shower taps isn't working but both sink taps still are for some reason.
    It's not an emergency anymore so I'll wait til tomorrow and call around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

if you've knocked off the flow, cut an access hole and post a picture it might be quite easy to fix. You might be able to cut a section from the pipe and get a push fit connector onto it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

You will need to find out if it's copper or plastic pipe? 1/2" or 3/4"? If your're going to tackle it your self & it's plastic pipe you could cut out the damaged section & fit one of the fittings in the link below, you'll need a good clean cut & inserts in both ends of the cut pipe,
    FITTING http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/push-fit-fittings-straight-coupling/12731/6.0.0.8
    INSERTS http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/push-fit-fittings-pack-of-plastic-inserts/12743/6.0.0.8
    Be sure not to cut too much from the pipe or you wont be able to push the cut ends into the fitting, they need a tight fit but if its plastic pipe you will be able to bend it enough.........if its copper you best get a plumber out.

Thanks lads. Broke off the plastic sheeting and carefully chipped off the concrete all around it. Here's the gap. About 5-6 inches tall. Pipe is copper and about 2.5 cm width. Plumber coming tomorrow.
    Should I take off more concrete?

Thanks lads. Broke off the plastic sheeting and carefully chipped off the concrete all around it. Here's the gap. About 5-6 inches tall. Pipe is about 2.5 cm width. Plumber coming tomorrow.

Also. That's a second pipe right beside In to the right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Jayus thats a tight space, he might run a whole new length of plastic pipe from the attic to the tap, there seems to be room behind the plasterboard for it instead of chipping away enough concrete to allow him to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

For DIY in a rented place I'd try a repair collar/clamp. Saves cutting pipe.
    Ask in your local plumbing supplys.
    I reckon your pipes are 3/4" about the thickness of your thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Thanks lads. Broke off the plastic sheeting and carefully chipped off the concrete all around it. Here's the gap. About 5-6 inches tall. Pipe is copper and about 2.5 cm width. Plumber coming tomorrow.

Take off a few more inches top and bottom. Take off more to the left also and go deeper. It'll save the plumber time and save you money. An experienced plumber will not have to replace the whole pipe to the attic. It's a simple fix in the hands of the right person

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

No harm to take more off if you can.

You should get an award for puncturing the pipe dead center. You might have a career as a dowser!

it's the cost im worried about :(

it's the cost im worried about :(

€10-00 for repair clamp. They work.
    Simple to do. Call into a plumbing supplys.

nah, the hole is too big i reckon. Thanks though

opened it up more..about as much as i dare..
    unnamed1.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

What sort of experience are you basing that assumption on. It may be your best bet given the financial circumstances you have already described.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

that basis is more sound than the basis my plumbing experience is founded on..

its already looking bad..

he said hed be here at 11

then he said 3

now its 430 and still no sign of him

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have recommended clamp if I didn't think it would work.
    All the advice given here is from professional plumbers.

If bad or incorrect advice is given by somebody, then we also point that out.
    Or suggest something better.

30 mind's are better than 1 (most times) !

I'm sorry man. Thanks for the advice.
    I basically wouldn't trust a clamp yknow? Or my ability to do it right.
    The guy was really decent he's coming back today to do it and it's gonna cost €90. That's a whole lot less than I thought it was gonna be.

I'm sorry man. Thanks for the advice.
    I basically wouldn't trust a clamp yknow? Or my ability to do it right.
    The guy was really decent he's coming back today to do it and it's gonna cost €90. That's a whole lot less than I thought it was gonna be.
    No problem.
    Best of luck

Now he can't come til tomorrow and I'm tempted to do it meself:)
    Never a dull moment :)

Me mate is saying plumber putty can fix this.
    Would it?

Me mate is saying plumber putty can fix this.
    Would it?

Have you considered a piece of chewing gum or bluetack :)

Oh really? Is it that bad?

Oh really? Is it that bad?

Afraid so. There is a little incantation that also needs to be said when using it also. I am afraid that the Guild would shun me if I released it to the public. So perhaps stick with your plumber. You will be able to tell if he is a member of the guild if he finds an excuse to send you for something. That will be when he will do his magic. :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

This still going on!?

• Advertisement

Sadly it is. He keeps cancelling on me.
    He'll be here tomorrow.
    Gonna just try it myself.

Advertisement