Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pug puppy

Options
  • 05-01-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

hi all i am looking at getting a pug are these good house dogs and are their any health issues with them thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They have problems with breathing because of the squashed face and I know my friend's one can sort of hyperventilate and pass out when she gets too excited.

http://www.pugcenter.com/health-concern.php

They are very cute though, but very much on the hairy ornament scale. They get quite distressed if left alone for long periods as they were bred to be companions.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

They always get really bad eye problems because of the way their head/face is developed. When they walk into thing the first point of impact is the eyes as oppose to a nose on any other dog. Friend of mine has a 3 year old and has already pent 3k+ on 2 separate incident eye operations. Try googling you might fine some information on it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

This breed has more health problems than any other, I suggest you go completely overboard on researching this breed. If you decide to go ahead only source one from a top breeder and be prepared to pay heafty vet's bills, excellent insurance coverage is also a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

A woman near where I used to live had two pugs, both of them had really bad breathing problems and they were only pups (not sure what age). You could hear them on the other side of the park their breathing was so loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

We've a three and a half year old pug. Great dog, great temperament, great with kids and funny as hell. Dont spoil them as pups though as goes for any dog as they are sly and know how to take advantage of you! We have had no health problems so far, his breathing is fine, just a bit noisy. As for his eyes, he has never hurt them and is careful and doesn't walk into things

There is a lot of scaremongering about them here in my opinion but do be wary of the health problems when looking to get a pup and please be skeptical about cheap deals, expect to pay over €1,000. Only buy from recommended breeders and expect to have to wait for pups to become available as they are not too common

Oh yeah and ignore all the stuff you read about them not requiring much excercise. This is bullsh!t - ours will climb the walls without his walks. Also he is fine to be left on his own, he loves his time to himself. Sometimes he seems annoyed when you return home and disturb him! Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭beanie.

I love pugs, they're fabulous dogs, but would never have one, couldn't handle watching it struggle for air. See if you can come across a pug cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

beanie. wrote: »
    I love pugs, they're fabulous dogs, but would never have one, couldn't handle watching it struggle for air. See if you can come across a pug cross.

Sorry, but a cross doesnt mean it will be healthier, it could actually be worse, inheriting health problems of sire and dam, depending on the cross.

If you do your research on the breed and locate a good breeder who health tests and breeds responsibly there is no reason why you cant get a pug.

Try contacting these:
    www.clodanapugs.com

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tulipi

I have a 7 month old pug and she's great. Really friendly and gentle, great with kids (absolutely loves them) and such a character. They do have health problems but I agree with DBCyc that there is a lot of scaremongering about the breed on this forum.

They can have eye problems, breathing problems, hip dysplasia and elongated palette issues and others which you can find if you do any bit of research on the breed. My pug has not displayed any of these issues. She snores and that's about it in terms of breathing and she doesn't tend to bump into things etc so her eyes are fine.

Get health insurance (as you should with any breed of dog in my opinion) and be aware of the health concerns before going in. If you think that the breed is the right fit for you and your family and you've weighed up the pros and cons and are still interested then they are a fabulous pet.

I disagree with cross breeding pugs with the aim to reduce the health issues. This isn't going to help things and you could end up with all the health issues of both breeds or temperment issues because you've bred the wrong types of dogs together - For example a beagle with a pug wouldn't be a good plan because you have a breed that is very scent driven and a pug who doesn't have a large nose and therefore can't smell all that well. ie they get driven demented from it. There'll be similar issues with most other crosses. It can sometimes work out but in my opinion you don't know what you're getting into.

If you're interested in talking to some more pug owners the pugspot.com is a really good pug website with lots of helpful people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭colm1234

I was told the same when buying my shar pei loads of health problems so far hes had both eyes done, his ears stitched up and holes drilled, also he has liver problems but to be honest I dont regret buying him one bit, hes the best dog ive ever owned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tulipi

Just reread your post and saw you were asking about them being a good house dog which I didn't answer. They're great house dogs. You couldn't do much better really.

They aren't that noisy in terms of barking etc. My pug only barks if she hears someone outside the house. They're clean - my pug actually steps around puddles and dirt trying to stay as clean as possible :) and while initial toilet training might take longer than a larger breed due to their small bladders, they're clever and once they get it they're very good. my pug never has accidents since she's been trained.

The only con to them really is that they shed and you'll need to buy a powerful hoover to suck up all the hairs. And it is a year round thing. But it's not so bad, buy a furminator (ebay is the cheapest option) and use it at least once a week and you'll be doing fine. That and they can be stubborn. They're very clever and will figure out how to manipulate you if you're not careful. Make sure that you're the boss and don't coddle them too much as puppies or they'll be ruling the roost. People on that website I posted a link to describe themselves as 'being owned by a pug' rather than 'owning a pug' and i can see that it can definitely be true. All in all though they're a great house dog and pet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement