Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who complain about FF voters

• 03-02-2009 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

I've got a quick rant to make. People who blame the current mess on voters who put FF back in power in 2007 are really beginning to piss me off. There's numerous threads in different forums/sites and a number of them have posters telling people "it's your fault for voting FF, you should have voted FG,Labour etc". There was no viable party alternative in 2007 (Kenny was shown up by Bertie imo and a lot others too) and worryingly there's still no viable alternative in 2009. I'd rather see FF fall deeper and deeper into this mess and see the party ruined (unlikely though).

That's better, I'm off to build the last of my snowmen army now.:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

There was no viable party alternative in 2007 (Kenny was shown up by Bertie imo and a lot others too)

So you'd rather re-elect a bunch of proven failures back into power again and again and again rather than give another party a go? How are any other party not a viable alternative? How on earth do you think that anyone else would do a worse job? Lemme guess, you don't like Enda Kenny's haircut or his accent.

That attitude sickens me and it has partially led us to where we are today: a government that are so long and cosy in their position that they have completely lost touch with reality - they don't have a clue whats going on. Why would they bother when they know the likes of you will re-elect them no matter how sh*t a job they do? 12 years is far too long.

And you sir, and the thousands of others who won't punish a bunch of miserable failures by removing them from power, are to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Fortunately for FF we won't be able to afford the cost of the travel to the polling booths when the local elections come around in June.

But for the few that make it there, I hope they wipe FF off the face of the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I didn't say I voted FF:rolleyes: Funny enough the TD in my area who does the most ground work is actually a FF member. Besides the point.

What I and countless others are looking for in the coming years is a man/woman at the head of a party who has a strong sound economic plan for the country that in the short term will reduce our deficit to an acceptable level whilst in the long term will allow us to remain competitive on the global stage, provide a healthcare system that looks after those who need it and an education system that's capable of producing graduates that will lead to the development of a real knowledge based economy.

So you're saying anyone who didn't vote for FF is absolved of any blame for this current mess whatsoever? Actually, you're right.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,057 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I voted FF because my dad does

[\troll]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,107 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I didn't say I voted FF:rolleyes: Funny enough the TD in my area who does the most ground work is actually a FF member. Besides the point.

What I and countless others are looking for in the coming years is a man/woman at the head of a party who has a strong sound economic plan for the country that in the short term will reduce our deficit to an acceptable level whilst in the long term will allow us to remain competitive on the global stage, provide a healthcare system that looks after those who need it and an education system that's capable of producing graduates that will lead to the development of a real knowledge based economy.

So you're saying anyone who didn't vote for FF is absolved of any blame for this current mess whatsoever? Actually, you're right.:rolleyes:

I haven't seen my local lazy-arsed FF TD for about four or five years. I hope he knocks on my door this time - I'll drag the bastard through the letter-box sideways.

• Advertisement

Sorry for jumping to conclusions then.

The current government have failed to do any of this. How many chances do they need? Shouldn't someone else be given a go? Its pretty difficult to assess how any potential Taoiseach/Minister will do before they are elected, whats the worst that can happen?

Of course not, the current economic mess is due to a huge number of factors, a great number of which are outside the control of anyone in this country. However repeatedly re-electing a government who appear to be incapable of handling the mess and who appear to be responsible for a large part of the mess (the property bubble) certainly isn't helping.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I voted FF because Charlie knew my dad

[\troll]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The attitude of "sure the others wouldn't do any better" needs to go, go very fast. At least give them the opportunity to make a bags of it if you want but FF have had their turn for long enough. The FF voters I know voted for them because their local rep got onto the council to fill in a pothole or cut a hedge, bigger picture please!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Whenever I see the letters FF I alway assume it's final fantasy people are talking about not Fianna Fáil. I feel like such a nerd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

cornbb wrote: »
    Lemme guess, you don't like Enda Kenny's haircut or his accent.

Or maybe its that he doesn't agree with a word that comes out of the guys mouth, that Kenny lad is an awful gob****e. I will NEVER vote for FG while he leads the party

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

I voted troll because troll knew my troll

[\troll]

colly10 wrote: »
    Or maybe its that he doesn't agree with a word that comes out of the guys mouth, that Kenny lad is an awful gob****e. I will NEVER vote for FG while he leads the party

You only have a feeling that Enda Kenny is awful whereas Cowen has proven that he is awful.

I'm no Enda Kenny fan either but I can't see him doing a worse job than Cowen. It was critical for Cowen to show himself to be a strong leader today and he really didn't do it for me, or anyone else I've spoken to. He looked so defeated. Enda Kenny stuttered and stumbled through his speech but I felt there was a bit of substance to it. Cowen looked deflated and clueless, Kenny was straining at the leash to be given a go at running the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

FF are dirty short sighted cnunts that love brick laying.Make the party rich and let everyone else clean up the left overs ,same **** different decade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I've got a quick rant to make. People who blame the current mess on voters who put FF back in power in 2007 are really beginning to piss me off. There's numerous threads in different forums/sites and a number of them have posters telling people "it's your fault for voting FF, you should have voted FG,Labour etc". There was no viable party alternative in 2007 (Kenny was shown up by Bertie imo and a lot others too) and worryingly there's still no viable alternative in 2009. I'd rather see FF fall deeper and deeper into this mess and see the party ruined (unlikely though).

I think Beverly Flynn threw some fuel on this one - you're absolutely right, but as a case in point, her election was especially difficult to comprehend.

Automatically invites you to deconstruct the voter mentality....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,107 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

FF are dirty short sighted cnunts that love brick laying.Make the party rich and let everyone else clean up the left overs ,same **** different decade

You forgot fat and ugly inbreds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

So you'd rather re-elect a bunch of proven failures back into power again and again and again rather than give another party a go? How are any other party not a viable alternative? How on earth do you think that anyone else would do a worse job? Lemme guess, you don't like Enda Kenny's haircut or his accent.

That attitude sickens me and it has partially led us to where we are today: a government that are so long and cosy in their position that they have completely lost touch with reality - they don't have a clue whats going on. Why would they bother when they know the likes of you will re-elect them no matter how sh*t a job they do? 12 years is far too long.

And you sir, and the thousands of others who won't punish a bunch of miserable failures by removing them from power, are to blame.
    QFT, or in other parlance, 0wned.

My local FF TD is not bad at all, but that does not save his party. I would gladly sacrifice him to end his party's majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

well I'd rather vote for a different party and get a in a new government, at least they'd be fresher, more enthusiastic and more in touch with the people. plus we know fianna fáil are ****e, might as well give somebody else a chance to prove themselves better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

The current government have failed to do any of this. How many chances do they need? Shouldn't someone else be given a go? Its pretty difficult to assess how any potential Taoiseach/Minister will do before they are elected, whats the worst that can happen?

Well personally I look at oppositions parties responses to current events. I was taken back at how little outrage there has been into the Fitzpatrick/Anglo scandal. You just have to look across to the States and you'll see the two lads (the 70yr old pyramid scheme guy and the Chicago City official) who have been placed under arrest for alleged fraud. Kenny comes across as very smug in his interviews and in my personal opinion should never be allowed to lead a FG led government if/when it happens. If Bruton was to become party leader I think there'd be a large number of voters who would change vote instantly however the actual cabinet would be pretty weak compared to the current one. I guess my original rant should have also struck out at the general inaptitude of the Irish political system in general. I'm just pissed because in our current situation there's not one real figure who's stepped forward and made me say "that person/party has my vote" while people harp on about those who elected FF in the last campaign.

I've never had a real interest in politics mainly because I was of too young an age to look towards political figures for guidance. As I finish my last semester in college it's become imo painfully obvious that the vast majority of candidates are out of touch with the young of Ireland (18-40).

I'm not sick of people complaining about FF voters; I'm sick of those who dismiss the others with excuses such as "they'd do no better." Give them a chance surely? You'll never know until you try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Frightening stats from the CSO on the construction industry -

http://www.cso.ie/newsevents/pr_constructhouse2008.htm

What I can't forgive is the manner in which FF let the construction industry spiral out of control. In fact FF allowed the country to spiral out of control. During election 2007, Brian Cowan himself was forcasting a 4% growth rate for 2008, when it was clear at that stage that the economy was only just about chucking along. FFS it took them 3 months to get people round a table to discuss pay cuts, and they fcuked that one up as well :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Excellent post.
    Karisini wrote:
    I'm not sick of people complaining about FF voters; I'm sick of those who dismiss the others with excuses such as "they'd do no better." Give them a chance surely? You'll never know until you try.

Indeed and likewise, it's shocking that so many still claim that "they're all the same or " they'd do no better". The amount of voter ignorance in this country is astounding, but we're still a long, long way from the loldemocracy that is the USA, thankfully.

You only have a feeling that Enda Kenny is awful whereas Cowen has proven that he is awful.

I'm no Enda Kenny fan either but I can't see him doing a worse job than Cowen.

Coming up to the last election I disagreed with nearly everything Kenny said, he was on radio shows making my blood boil, I believe he would do a worse job and it would annoy me to look at him in the process. Think of someone who annoys ye, pat kenny, gerry ryan maybe, now multiply that by a thousand and ye get an idea what I think of him.
    It was critical for Cowen to show himself to be a strong leader today and he really didn't do it for me, or anyone else I've spoken to. He looked so defeated. Enda Kenny stuttered and stumbled through his speech but I felt there was a bit of substance to it. Cowen looked deflated and clueless, Kenny was straining at the leash to be given a go at running the place.

Cowen is under immense pressure and is aware of how bad things are, putting a positive spin on it would only be fooling the Irish people into thinking things are better than they are.
    I didn't see Kenny's speech but the guy is under no pressure, this is his time to shine and if he's stumbling through his speeches now (most of which come across as over rehearsed bul****) then you gotta wonder what he'd be like if he was under the pressure Cowen is under

Rb wrote: »
    Indeed and likewise, it's shocking that so many still claim that "they're all the same or " they'd do no better". The amount of voter ignorance in this country is astounding, but we're still a long, long way from the loldemocracy that is the USA, thankfully.

To me, coming out with stuff like, "ah sure they couldn't do any worse" is equally ignorant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

To me, coming out with stuff like, "ah sure they couldn't do any worse" is equally ignorant

Depends on how bad a job the person saying it really thinks FF have done :)

Cowen is under immense pressure and is aware of how bad things are, putting a positive spin on it would only be fooling the Irish people into thinking things are better than they are.

No one is asking for him to put a gloss on the bad news, people are saying "come on Biffo, tell us what the deal is, where do we stand and how do we get out of this" and he just can't do it. He doesn't have the balls. He won't stand up to the social partners. He has all the leadership qualities of a sardine.
    I didn't see Kenny's speech but the guy is under no pressure, this is his time to shine and if he's stumbling through his speeches now (most of which come across as over rehearsed bul****) then you gotta wonder what he'd be like if he was under the pressure Cowen is under

Again, you are only speculating as to what Kenny would be like as a leader. Bertie was always ridiculed as a public speaker yet he turned out to be a formidable negotiator and ended up in power for many years. Maybe Kenny would not be the ideal leader this country needs but the key thing is, we need a change in government, the opposition have been waiting in the wings for too long while the government have grown lazy and out of touch, they need a chance to show us what they can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

I don't see the problem with Enda Kenny. I think it's gotten to a stage where it's "cool" to dislike him / make fun of him.

FF are a bunch of smug *****. At least Kenny seems more down to earth and realistic in his approach.

Richard Bruton would be an excellent minister for finance.

I don't see the problem with Enda Kenny. I think it's gotten to a stage where it's "cool" to dislike him / make fun of him.

What? I can honestly say I cant think of any time where its been "cooler" to support him and hurl abuse at Cowen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

He won't stand up to the social partners. He has all the leadership qualities of a sardine.

I believe that's exactly what he did today no? Failed to get them on board with an agreement and so said, "fair enough, we'll crack on without ye." And by the responses of the representatives of both unions and employers on Prime Time earlier, the social partners are swallowing it. They have no choice - neither does anyone else. We don't vote again until 2012 if this government goes full term.

In 3 years time, if they've cut and cut and savaged us all, but things are looking up, are you sure you'd pass the reins to the party that hmmmed and hawed and said that everything was bad but came up with nothing to fix it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Why would you vote if there is no viable alternative?

I didn't.

Did the bad man tell them to?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Think of someone who annoys ye, pat kenny, gerry ryan maybe, now multiply that by a thousand and ye get an idea what I think of him.
    Pat and Gerry running the country- I'd vote for that. :eek:

Advertisement