Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

any one know where my water has gone?

• 11-06-2014 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

When we moved in to our house we could fill our bat to the top and still have plenty of hot water. N and a half years later we are lucky if we can get just above half of a bath before the water runs cold.

Any ides why this is?

things i know:

1. the water is from the electric immersion (see pic) we put it on bath not sink so we know what water we need.
    1. the downstairs toilet i can hear water running in the systen, could that be an issue? this only became an issue a few months ago,
    1. there are no other taps on and there i no other way to heat the water except the copper tank similar to the pic.

2ltmwqe.jpg
    s0vimr.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If switch is to sink it will only heat little to near half the tank.

Possible the immersion element is gone or on it's way out.

Oh also is there a timer fitted?
    Central heating? if heating this would heat the tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

If switch is to sink it will only heat little to near half the tank.

Possible the immersion element is gone or on it's way out.

Oh also is there a timer fitted?
    Central heating? if heating this would heat the tank.

we basicly always have the button on bath for a full bath, as was the case there tonight. I've noticed over the past few months its less and less water. there is no timer and the Central heating is separate and only heats the Rads in the house.

Very possible hardwater build up if thats a problem and a new tank may be on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

It may only be that the immersion thermostat is not operating as well as it should and may need replacing.
    And a resistance check on the immersion elements can tell if they are still in good order.
    From my experience it is usually the thermostat or the immersion cluster that needs changing when I come across this type of problem.

Edit:
    Just remembered getting a similar call a while ago and it was neither of the above, turned out there was a leak in the hot water pipe under the floor which got progressively worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 Giving it holly

Check the tank in the attic and see if it keeps filling with no taps of toilets running. If it is there is a leak then you need to find the leak or replace all the hot pipe from the cylinder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You have 2 elements. When you have the switch on sink you use one element & you heat the top half of the cylinder. When the switch is on bath you have both elements on. It's very possible only the top element is working. An electrician or plumber can replace this for you if it needs changing & you can expect to pay €130 inc vat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You have 2 elements. When you have the switch on sink you use one element & you heat the top half of the cylinder. When the switch is on bath you have both elements on. It's very possible only the top element is working. An electrician or plumber can replace this for you if it needs changing & you can expect to pay €130 inc vat

That's not true. Both elements are never on together. It's either the short element on sink or the long element on bath. The wiring wouldn't be heavy enough to power both elements together.

jca wrote: »
    That's not true. Both elements are never on together. It's either the short element on sink or the long element on bath. The wiring wouldn't be heavy enough to power both elements together.

If your top element blows you'll only heat the bottom half of the tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Thats not how it works.
    Hot water always rises to the top of the cylinder irrespective of which element is used.

Surely you're having a laugh.

• Advertisement

Sorry Blonde moment there. I did think bath switch only heated bottom of tank. Obviously heat rises & I didn't mean you have to use all the cold water from the top first.:o
    Hands up I was mistaken about the element. Bath switch only uses the one element & this heats the whole tank. Sink switch uses only the small element & this heats top of cylinder.
    Again My mistake. Now I'm off to stick my red face in the sand for a few hours.

Sorry Blonde moment there. I did think bath switch only heated bottom of tank. Obviously heat rises & I didn't mean you have to use all the cold water from the top first.:o
    Hands up I was mistaken about the element. Bath switch only uses the one element & this heats the whole tank. Sink switch uses only the small element & this heats top of cylinder.
    Again My mistake. Now I'm off to stick my red face in the sand for a few hours.

No harm in learning.

Check the tank in the attic and see if it keeps filling with no taps of toilets running. If it is there is a leak then you need to find the leak or replace all the hot pipe from the cylinder.

my downstairs lav has a noise of water being constant filling the systen but never over flows. is this normal??

tonyheaney wrote: »
    my downstairs lav has a noise of water being constant filling the systen but never over flows. is this normal??

There is probably a worn seal or new ball cock needed as it's losing water into the actual toilet by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Most moderns syphons are overflow protected i.e they overflow into the toilet. Fantastic, simple, underrated invention. As punisher says, most likely not a biggie. Lift off the cistern cover to investigate further.

:D
    There is probably a worn seal or new ball cock needed as it's losing water into the actual toilet by the sounds of it.

there is very little water coming out of the systen (except when i flush of course) not being a plumber im not sure what to look for i know what the parts are but i might as well give internal surgery on my wife as im sure it will end up the same result.

:D

there is very little water coming out of the systen (except when i flush of course) not being a plumber im not sure what to look for i know what the parts are but i might as well give internal surgery on my wife as im sure it will end up the same result.

Sounds like time to call a plumber so

Advertisement