Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phonetic alphabet- did you learn it?

• 03-02-2009 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58788496#post58788496

Just a side bit from this, someone mentioned learning it in school. Did you? I have never heard an Irish person use it, thought it was military only.

We never did, in fact the only time I heard an ounce of it was when on The Bill they would radio in "Sierra Oscar 25147" (and even then I assumed it was Oskah, not Oscar, given the London accent, thought it was some type of codeword :confused: ). The first time I ever heard it in real life was working in a call centre, some English guy started spelling out his email address "charliealphatango....." I type fairly fast so I typed out the entire words :confused: Quite a few of the English use it but I always assumed they were ex-services or whatever.

Comments

never did learn it but when I went to work for an online hotel booking site, all the travel agents used to use it and seeing as they could never figure out my name cos it's irish, I had to learn to spell that phonetically.

do you know what gets on my t*ts? why is the word phonetically, not spelled phonetically? hmm?? hmm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

yankee
    Echo
    Sierra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Yankee Echo Sierra.

I think anyone who's done time in a call centre would probably know it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

didnt learn it in school, but learned it in my own time a couple of years ago. it really helps with doing anything regarding serial numbers or codes over the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Kids learned it in pre school, :cool:

• Advertisement

i use it all the time talking to foreign people on the phone or if the line is bad or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 celtic lady

It is handy to know. I deal with customers all the time and if you're spelling something for them us can use it.:)

cornbb wrote: »
    Yankee Echo Sierra.

I bravo echo alpha tango you :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I learned it when I worked in a call center. It was almost a necessity.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Kids learned it in pre school, :cool:

are you sure? cos my kid is learning phonetics in Montessori, as is the sounds of the letters, but the phonetic alphabet is different, it isn't really something they usually teach babies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

Never learned it but sadly and geekily i know it because i was obsessed with the Bill when i was younger. Never used it also whenever i spell things out i always say stuff like e as in elephant b as in banana so it was totally worth my while wasting my youth learning phonetic alphabet while all my friends were having fun - i showed them.

I especially like words with W in them. mmmmm whiskey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

are you sure? cos my kid is learning phonetics in Montessori, as is the sounds of the letters, but the phonetic alphabet is different, it isn't really something they usually teach babies

They did phonetics and hand signs as well,:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

correct. they do not learn the phonetic alphabet in pre-school, or certainly not that i've ever heard of and i've worked in the sector.

I know a few hand signs too but I hope my daughter doesn't know them :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

I had to learn it when I was training for Air Traffic Control.....I've actually used it quite a bit outside aviation too though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I knew it but now only substitute abusive words for letters of the alphabet.

A = Arse
    B = Bollocks
    C = ?

etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I think there may be some confusion between posters thinking of phonetic spellings (as in fonetik spellingz) and what is strictly a radiotelephony spelling alphabet, like the international radiotelephony spelling alphabet and variants.

There's nothing worse than trying to deal with someone on the phone spelling something if they don't know it and either use the letters that sound like each other or search though their vocabularly for ideas of their own. Really people, it takes no time to learn, learn it.

Funnily enough though, I was once spelling Chapelizod to someone on the phone and was interrupted by them asking me what letter Zulu started with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Yes. I took a phonetics course in college last year that tought the IPA.

I learned the NATO spelling alphabet somewhere else though.

In fairness, Yankee_Echo_Sierra rolls off the tongue a little easier than voiceless-palatal-fricative_midopen-front-vowel_voiceless-alveolar-fricative.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

GOLDEN GIRL
    LUCY LAMP
    OSCAR ORANGE
    OSCAR ORANGE
    MUNCHING MIKE

IMPY INK
    SAMMY SNAKE

CLEVER CAT
    OSCAR ORANGE
    NOISY NICK
    FIREMAN FRED
    UPPY UMBRELLA
    SAMMY SNAKE
    EDDY ELEPHANT
    DIPPY DUCK

/caps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Frankly after a few seasons of 24 you're pretty much fluent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Yankee Echo Sierra.

Yeah learned it in a call centre, not in school though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

Its new in schools. Its the way the children learn the alphabet now as its thought it helps them to read more easily. (Because they are automatically sounding out the word in their head- where as we would have learned the letter name, and the sound, they are now combining the 2...if ya get me?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I can never get used to the "/" one no matter how often I hear it lol.

Any UK based call centre just drives you mad with it !

KateF wrote: »
    Its new in schools. Its the way the children learn the alphabet now as its thought it helps them to read more easily. (Because they are automatically sounding out the word in their head- where as we would have learned the letter name, and the sound, they are now combining the 2...if ya get me?)

yeh I think that's what Talliesen was saying, that's not what the thread is about, there is a confusion between the phonetic alphabet and phonetics - I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

yeh I think that's what Talliesen was saying, that's not what the thread is about, there is a confusion between the phonetic alphabet and phonetics - I think!

Ah. Ok. Thanks whoopsadaisy!

KateF wrote: »
    Ah. Ok. Thanks whoopsadaisy!

god my post seems like I was telling you off for getting it wrong whoops...

well, I wasn't, honest :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bad memories ...
    "eff for sugar" English people who can't even speak their own language :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Learned it off by heart from my early CB and cop radio scanning days. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

love telling people to foxtrot oscar,and they look at me strangly,and on the subject why dont we use the 24 hour clock,three clock in the afternoon its 15.00 hr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

what is the phonetic alphabet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I've been working in a call centre nearly 2 years now, I'm sure I'd remember it if I tried very hard, but when I'm actually on a call I'm completely fucked if I can remember the phonetics.

When you're asking for one specific letter, suddenly all knowledge of that letters existance disappears from your brain, unless involved in a dirty word.

"So that's P, for . . . . umm . . . . . . . . . . ahh yes, Penis?"

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

xoxsineadxox,,, phonetic as in phone,worldwide use for radio telephone that it in simple form i am sure somebody will come back and reply .
    x=x-ray
    o=oscar
    x=x-ray
    s=sierra
    i=india
    n=november
    e=echo
    a=alpha
    d=delta
    x=x-ray
    o=oscar
    x=x-ray

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what is the phonetic alphabet?
    It's like a tracker mortguage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

I had to learn it for work when we would be using the radio's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is this all about then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

That's honestly the first time I've even heard of it. So that's what that dell call center guy was saying to me the last time I had to call them, I just thought he was a bit mad. :o Oh well you learn something new everyday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i learned the greek alphabet :o

but that was thanks to a computer game (god bless mechwarrior 2 :) )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Phonetic alphabet:

A Alpha
    B Bravo
    C Charlie
    D Delta
    E Echo
    F Foxtrot
    G Golf
    H Hotel
    I India
    J Juliet
    K Kilo
    L Lima
    M Mike
    N November
    O Oscar
    P Papa
    Q Quebec
    R Romeo
    S Sierra
    T Tango
    U Uniform
    V Victor
    W Whiskey
    X X-ray
    Y Yankee
    Z Zulu*

Saves people saying 'did you say B or C..?' etc
    Especially important for flight numbers/car registrations where a wrong letter means trouble. :(

*I think they're all correct- I could stand corrected. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Caderyn wrote: »
    Phonetic alphabet:

A Alpha
    B Bravo
    C Charlie
    D Delta
    E Echo
    F Foxtrot
    G Golf
    H Hotel
    I India
    J Juliet
    K Kilo
    L Lima
    M Mike
    N November
    O Oscar
    P Papa
    Q Quebec
    R Romeo
    S Sierra
    T Tango
    U Uniform
    V Victor
    W Whiskey
    X X-ray
    Y Yankee
    Z Zulu*

Saves people saying 'did you say B or C..?' etc
    Especially important for flight numbers/car registrations where a wrong letter means trouble. :(

*I think they're all correct- I could stand corrected. :o

Perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Woo-hoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Again. :D

A Alpha
    B Bravo
    C Charlie
    D Delta
    E Echo
    F Foxtrot
    G Golf
    H Hotel
    I India
    J Juliet
    K Kilo
    L Lima
    M Mike
    N November
    O Oscar
    P Papa
    Q Quebec
    R Romeo
    S Sierra
    T Tango
    U Uniform
    V Victor
    W Whiskey
    X X-ray
    Y Yankee
    Z Zulu*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

tried to learn in when working in a call center for a bit. Well I looked at the list a few times. If never really registered with me either, when people were calling things out to me.

My main problem was , I could only ever think of swear/rude words when thinking of a letter..

A = a-hole
    B = bollix
    C = c-nt
    d - dickhead
    e - eejit ..
    f- fcuk
    g ... mm never really worked out a full list,

could have been something to do with the customers I was dealing with all day. So thought it best, to just try to avoid the whole thing, before I said something I shouldnt have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Theres a new one for the recession ;)

A - Arsehole
    B - Brian
    C - Cowen
    D - Depression
    E - Economy
    F - Fucked
    G - Gobshites
    H - Hopeless
    I - Incompetent
    J - Jeasus
    K - Kamikaze
    L - Laughable
    M - Morons
    N - Negligent
    O - Obscene
    P - Pricks
    Q - Quango
    R - Rip-off
    S - Suicide
    T - Terrible
    U - Unholy
    V - Vultures
    W - Wankers
    X - X-ray (omitted due to HSE cut backs)
    Y - Yes-men
    Z - Zero

:D

spatchco wrote: »
    xoxsineadxox,,, phonetic as in phone,worldwide use for radio telephone that it in simple form i am sure somebody will come back and reply .
    x=x-ray
    o=oscar
    x=x-ray
    s=sierra
    i=india
    n=november
    e=echo
    a=alpha
    d=delta
    x=x-ray
    o=oscar
    x=x-ray

or of course:

Yankee Oscar Romeo Echo Mike Alpha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Yankee Echo Sierra.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Yep learnt it from my punishment years spent in a call centre too. I always get the feeling when using it now around people who obviously dont know it tho, that they think im some kind of andy mcnab military nut or something when im on the phone going 'foxtrot uniform charlie kilo' etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

For some reason I learned it in secondary school and what wasn't due to classes.There was one room we had a class in that had a massive poster outside of it with the whole Phonetic Alphabet and all the hand signals on it too. Never really got around to learning the hand signals though :-/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I did learn it school, can only remember a few of them. If you ever ring phone companies about anything, and you give them your details, they ask immediately 'is that alpha tango echo whatever' and I'm like just gimme my minutes for god's sake!!!!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

Didn't learn it in school but had to learn it for my job.

Advertisement