Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Ireland Really A Republic?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,497 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Isn't it all very convenient that whenever anything goes wrong, it's never anything to do with the Vatican, even when it was the bishops directly appointed by them who did wrong?

It's a strange, strange organisation that's for sure and the extent to which it manages to blind so many people to its serious failings is impressive.

The so-called survey of parents was only carried out in a small number of areas and not publicised by the Dept of Education. Asking parents to effectively choose a school that doesn't yet exist is a pig in a poke. Most parents in Ireland have never set foot in an Educate Together school and have no idea how they operate. It's no surprise at all that the status quo is a safer option to choose, that doesn't mean it's ultimately the better option.

I'm a parent, we have no non-religious school option in our area and no we were not surveyed and no new schools will be built in this area. Our taxes help pay for these schools but they are legally permitted to treat our children as second-class citizens and refuse them a place on the grounds of 'ethos'.

Why can't Ireland be secularist and pluralist? Do you think the return of effectively a catholic monoculture is something to be aspired to? We saw where that led.

In every referendum since 1983 the Irish electorate have refused to further restrict abortion - but no government has given them the opportunity to vote for abortion. There are strong grounds to believe that a vote to reverse the eighth amendment would now pass. I don't see how the North's poisonous sectarian politics add value to this discussion, or indeed any other really.

No idea what you mean by 'full abortion' but the complete evacuation of the contents of the uterus would be medically desirable, I'd imagine.

The idea that we should pay again to buy the schools that we already pay for is pathetic.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Of course it isnt. What kind of a republic excludes over a quarter of the population?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Of course it isnt. What kind of a republic excludes over a quarter of the population?

That would depend on what justifucation said republic had for excluding said quarter of the population. You point is also a bit vauge on what said people are excluded from doing.

Open to correction, but as far as i know there's nothing in the Irish constitution proclaiming such an exclusion.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I reckon once the last cohort of true believers shuffles off you'll get a more secular state. Too many people I know don't want to make waves, especially if there's in heritence involved.

My mother in law is a true believer and if she ever found out we didn't get married in a church she would disown my wife.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

ninja900 wrote: »
    Isn't it all very convenient that whenever anything goes wrong, it's never anything to do with the Vatican, even when it was the bishops directly appointed by them who did wrong?

Specific Examples of this are ?

The so-called survey of parents was only carried out in a small number of areas and not publicised by the Dept of Education. Asking parents to effectively choose a school that doesn't yet exist is a pig in a poke. Most parents in Ireland have never set foot in an Educate Together school and have no idea how they operate. It's no surprise at all that the status quo is a safer option to choose, that doesn't mean it's ultimately the better option.

Quinn never had the support of the parents in the first place.As far as Quinn and the Anti Catholic mob were concerend, they assumed that all that was needed to be done was take posession of the school buildings.

Parents want the right to choose, and not have social engineerers and minorities tell them what they should have. A tiny tiny tiny noisey minority in the media and the usual 12 or so suspects on sites like this waffle on about the need for secularism / separation of Church v State. REality is , it is not supported to the extent that they wished, and that was utterly predictable.

Choosing that Status quo dosen't mean it's ultimately the worse option either.

I'm a parent, we have no non-religious school option in our area

Where is the nearest Educate together School? Anything under 2 hours is no excuse! People send their kids to boarding school ffs.

and no we were not surveyed and no new schools will be built in this area. Our taxes help pay for these schools

"Our taxes", you must have a huge paying jobs so. You would swear that the holy joe's / people content with status quo don't pay taxes either? You are in a minority. Pool together like minded people and campagin to the Minister. You sound like someone who wants everything handed to you. Why didn't you and like minded people not make yer views clear when you noted that you were not surveyed?

but they are legally permitted to treat our children as second-class citizens and refuse them a place on the grounds of 'ethos'.

Ah, the usual crap, "second class citizen" because society won't accept YOUR beliefs, as oppose to the child's.

You are free to educate the child yourself.

You sound like you live in the Middle of know where. Where specifically are you from, as you say you have no other options, presumably within a 20-50 mile radius.

Why can't Ireland be secularist and pluralist?

Majority don't accept it. Ireland most certaintly ain't at that stage yet, despite all the protests and waffle from the media and "official Ireland"

Do you think the return of effectively a catholic monoculture is something to be aspired to? We saw where that led.

Well, when your alternative is self obsession, airy fairy wishy washy half baked liberal ideas and whatever your having yourself .........

In every referendum since 1983 the Irish electorate have refused to further restrict abortion - but no government has given them the opportunity to vote for abortion. There are strong grounds to believe that a vote to reverse the eighth amendment would now pass.

Evidence of that is where? You are one foolishly naive person to think that full abortion would pass in the SOuth or the North. "Strong grounds"? Prove it

I don't see how the North's poisonous sectarian politics add value to this discussion, or indeed any other really.

What are you waffling on about?

It was an example where a majority of all communitites in NI , irrespective of their background, share a common ground - opposition to full abortion, hardly sectarian or posonous where both communities can agree on some issues.

Your the sectarian attacking Catholic Views, I simply pointed out an example of where other groups share similar attitudes.

No idea what you mean by 'full abortion' but the complete evacuation of the contents of the uterus would be medically desirable, I'd imagine.

Sorry abortion on demand, as oppose to the limited and accepted scenerios where abortion may occur.

Desirable for who?

The idea that we should pay again to buy the schools that we already pay for is pathetic.

What the State pays is actually peanuts! Like it or not, the Church run hospitals and schools are a massive burden off the State, if the State actually owned them , themselves.

It is clear that you are a bigot and advocate for murder.

Advertisement