Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To get another dog or not...

Options
  • 09-06-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have a 7month old Cavalier King Charles puppy... I love him to bits, he's my little baby. I worry about him though as we live on our own just the two of us so he is on his own all day when I'm at work and as a result he seems to be constantly afraid on being left on his own. When I'm home he follows me everywhere, won't stay in a room on his own and when he sees me getting ready to go out, he sits in front of the front door and whimpers.

I've been thinking about getting a second puppy to keep him company as I think it would do him good, they could play together and keep each other company when I was at work. But then I worry that maybe he'd get jealous if there was another puppy brought into the home...

Opinions please...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I think a little friend would be great for him

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

Hi, I have two dogs one female and one male, both neutered and they are great company for each other. The rescues have loads of pups ask them for advise on the age, etc. good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

I would agree a little companion would be a great idea to keep him company. You would'nt necessarly need to get a pup, maybe a dog around 1yr old or so. Advantage would be house training done and when the two pups are together they might start chewing up stuff etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

I think you definitely need to get him a little pal. Its not really fair on the little guy being left alone all day. A little buddy and some toys for them to fight over. Just one thing, be sure they get on before committing. The last thing you need is two dogs who cant be left together.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

When I'm home he follows me everywhere, won't stay in a room on his own and when he sees me getting ready to go out, he sits in front of the front door and whimpers.
    Thats naturally the way the Cavalier king charles is. They will follow you everywhere like a shadow. My cavalier King Charles follow's me everywhere too even though I am at home 95% of the time.

What you are describing when you leave is seperation anxiety though. My bonny doesnt do that , because Ive followed the steps of various dog trainers on TV so that this wouldnt happen. Now when I leave the house she will stand on the sofa for about twenty minutes looking out the window and eventually lie down and go to sleep. WHat I usually do is leave the TV on for her at low volume and she is happy ntil I return home too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eyeore

I would think twice before getting another dog. I'm not saying it doesnt work at all, for most people it is just fine, but not always. It didnt work for us, we had to recently rehome one of our dogs as they didnt get on and it was heartbreaking.
    I think it sounds like seperation anxiety. Maybe try googling it and see if you can figure out some ideas to try out first. One dog on their own will most likely sleep and rest for the day, two dogs alone all day could destroy your house or become competative and fight as we experienced.
    Also I think its normal for dogs to follow their owners around all the time, they crave our company.
    Best of luck in your decision.

Advertisement