Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lycamobile - no free numbers

Options
  • 03-12-2012 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,

I have a phone with Lycamobile, and it is not possible to call free numbers (1 800). I called customer support, and they say that "special numbers" are not supported. Which is funny, as in calling free numbers the operator doesn't need to pay anything.

I guess eventually I'll switch to another operator.

It is a pity, as currently they are unlimited Internet for free for one month with any top-up. As far as I know, there is no match for that offer. Is there anything similar that do offers the possibility of calling free phones?

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Basically 3Pay is the only one that is the closest to that and offers your requirements. Three is the closest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 adlerhn

Thanks, but a 20€ monthly recharge is too much for me. Basically, my use is just free numbers, some Internet (usually < 500 MB, including a few hours of VOIP per month), and a few spare non-free calls.

I may have to consider using a phone for Internet (with Lyca as long as they keep the current unlimited data offer) and a separate one, with a cheap pre-pay company, for calling free numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

The only other recommendation that I can give you is that you Google and look on the Internet for alternative landline numbers to the 1800 numbers you are calling, for example 'No to 1890'.

To be honest I find that limitation of free numbers ridiculous, and that you should ask Comreg their opinion, but they are the only options you have.

Well, there are alternative landline numbers, but those are not free :/

I have sent a query to Comreg; thanks for the advice. Let's see if I find out anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭chka

any replies from comreg?

• Advertisement

I was told that they can only become involved in the resolution of individual cases when the customer has first lodged a complaint with the operator in question.

So, I was told to lodge a formal complaint:
    - Contact Lycamobile.
    - State that you have been advised by ComReg to lodge a formal complaint
    - Request a complaint reference number
    - Give the details of your complaint

However, so far I haven't had the chance to call Lycamobile.

Advertisement