Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband In Kilrush.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Mr. G wrote: »
    Eircom are rolling out VDSL in a lot of Clare this year according to the coverage map.

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't that just fiber under another name?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Clareman wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but isn't that just fiber under another name?

Yes Fibre to the cabinet technically. Up to 100Mbps with vectoring.

ADSL is the non fibre one. Basically VDSL is fibre to the cabinet and copper for the last leg. Eircom would need to rollout fibre to the likes of Miltown which as far as I know is on microwave, Ennistymon has fibre backbone but you can't get "efibre" yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Don't get me started on copper to the cabinet, I'm 1162m from the cabinet so I'm on 26meg fiber, if I could move my house 163 meters I'd be on 100

• Registered Users Posts: 2 up in the air

Hi,

Just wondering has anyone else had any issues with eircom in Kilrush?

Iv had broadband with them the past 4 months ands its been a disaster, it stops working every hour or so for 10 to 15 minutes and that's apart from being extremely slow.

Iv rang their customer service god knows how many times and I get a different story every time and they still cant tell me when its going to be fixed , apparently 80 meters of line needs to be replaced! apparently !!

Does anyone have any recommendations for another broadband provider in the Kilrush area?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Hi,

Just wondering has anyone else had any issues with eircom in Kilrush?

Iv had broadband with them the past 4 months ands its been a disaster, it stops working every hour or so for 10 to 15 minutes and that's apart from being extremely slow.

Iv rang their customer service god knows how many times and I get a different story every time and they still cant tell me when its going to be fixed , apparently 80 meters of line needs to be replaced! apparently !!

Does anyone have any recommendations for another broadband provider in the Kilrush area?

Im with vodafone, exact same lines. complete and utter disaster, even Netflix refuses to work lately, buffering constantly, and Netflix doesn't even require much bandwidth! If your in the town and don't use much, look at maybe a vodafone 4g option, or maybe satellite, but be prepared to pay an arm and a leg. Three would be a cheaper option, but you will compromise on quality at peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 up in the air

I had a look and found a crowd called BBnet broadband its a satellite provider for this area might give them a go. As you said they use the same lines ie Vodafone so no point in changing.

Eircom should really give there costumers a up-date on the problem or at least a date when it might be fixed, iv been ringing 4 months and still none the wiser, I'm moving on.

I gave up ringing Vodafone over the Christmas, will start again soon as I'm not as busy. If it persists for much longer I'm demanding out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

I had a look and found a crowd called BBnet broadband its a satellite provider for this area might give them a go. As you said they use the same lines ie Vodafone so no point in changing.

Eircom should really give there costumers a up-date on the problem or at least a date when it might be fixed, iv been ringing 4 months and still none the wiser, I'm moving on.

You need to do your research on satellite before you go anywhere near it. It will have higher latency, be more expensive and have lower caps than any wired broadband and it is highly unlikely to be an improvement.

I would suggest posting your problems on the Talk To Eircom forum here to see if they can help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 reademandweep

BBnet don't offer satellite broadband. It's fixed wireless. Significant difference in latency, speeds and no download caps.

For information the Fibre rollout in kilrush has been delayed another 6 months.
    First estimate was April 2014!

• Advertisement

Vodafone/Eircom/Sky broadband honorific, unusable and drops out constantly.
    What other providers are available?

BBnet?
    Mobile providers not an option due to very low download limits.

no download caps.

But they severely cut your speed after 10gb per day (5gb on lesser plan)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

I suspect the reason Kilrush VDSL2 rollout has been postponed is that Eircom are going to go straight to FTTH for locations that they can do it via ducts and then rollout FTTC in the remaining places. Just a gut feeling though, I could be wrong!

Advertisement