Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swearing on the bible in court

• 28-06-2011 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Was just in the courts there, had to get something signed by an officiary for some child protection thing for school.

Anyway, declaration had to be read out in front of him etc, but before I knew it, he shoved a bible in my hand and started the whole 'I swear to almight God that the information in this document....' It didn't massively bother me but I was a bit taken aback that this was done. Obviously I swore to my almighty God to get his signature (plus paying a tenner for the privilege).

What would have been the case if I refused? Or taking my situation out, whats the procedure if I had to give evidence in court and I refused to swear on the bible, what do they do then?

Outdated to say the least. There was a muslim man behind me in the queue as well, I should really have stayed back and witnessed his turn...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,158 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had understood that if you declare yourself to be an atheist, there's a secular vow you can make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

There must be an alternative to that surely?

Even for Christians that could be contentious. In the same book one would be swearing on:
    “Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

A pal of mine was the defendant in a high-profile case and was planning on perjuring himself. He's not a believer (indeed, he insists I don't mention the G-word) but isn't particularly antagonathiest either.

He must have some subconcious sense of God though, because when he was swearing on the bible in court, he crossed his fingers behind his back. I kid you not!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's not a problem, you just make an affirmation. Clerk of the court sees this all the time, you won't be the first or the last

Though I suppose not everyone is brave enough to ask for this for fear of standing out or making a scene. But some do

Here is what currently exists
    1. Form of oaths to be taken by witnesses

“I swear by Almighty God that the evidence I shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth”.

2. Form of affirmation to be made by witnesses

“I, A.B., do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that the evidence

I shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth”.

If you are interested in a bit of reading the Law Reform Commission did a lot of work on this and recommended the religious oath be abolished

http://www.lawreform.ie/_fileupload/Reports/rOaths.htm
    Heavy reading but it's interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

mikemac wrote: »
    It's not a problem, you just make an affirmation. Clerk of the court sees this all the time, you won't be the first or the last

Though I suppose not everyone is brave enough to ask for this for fear of standing out or making a scene. But some do

Here is what currently exists

If you are interested in a bit of reading the Law Reform Commission did a lot of work on this and recommended the religious oath be abolished

http://www.lawreform.ie/_fileupload/Reports/rOaths.htm
    Heavy reading but it's interesting

End of thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

antagonathiest

Nice one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'd be worried about affirming if I was a defendant, some jurors might be prejudiced against the non-religious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Bear in mind that you have to ask for the non-religious option in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If I ever end up in this situation I will have to think hard on whther to request a copy of the Gospel of the FSM or a copy of Aesops fables to swear on. I'm leaning to the latter due to how well it is known.

I'm not expecting to get it but as the alternative isn't offered up front I'll play naive :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd be worried about affirming if I was a defendant, some jurors might be prejudiced against the non-religious.

This was raised by the Law Reform Commission.
    Same situation with witnesses who will not swear a oath there is the potential the jurors will discount what they are saying.
    "Why won't they swear, hmm........." *suspicious glance*

The proposal is to do away with the oath and the current affirmation and use this:

“ I, A.B., do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that the evidence I shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I am aware that if I knowingly give false evidence I may be prosecuted for perjury.”

Recommandations were made years ago and nobody seems bothered at pushing this forward. Certainly no Minister has ever shown an interest in this that I know of

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I didn't know when you were able to ask for the non-religious option, so I ended up swearing on the bible since they were fairly motoring through the jury selection.

I figure that the substance of the oath/affirmation* is a hell of a lot more important than the wrapping put on it. I don't see the point in adding the sweary bit TBH, it doesn't really add anything.

* "I will well and truly try the issue whether the accused is (or are) guilty or not guilty of the offence (or the several offences) charged in the indictment preferred against him (or her or them) and a true verdict give according to the evidence."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'm almost certain that last time I was up in Dun Laoghaire district court I was asked just for the affirmation without requesting it at any time. Definitely don't remember a Bible making an appearance at any time. I wonder is it at the DJ's discretion which they use as the 'default' oath? Or maybe certain courts have a habit of using one over the other? {Or maybe she just pegged me as a godless bastard straight off the bat and decided to take the lead? :pac:}

Any law professionals on here got any insight into this?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

So DooM was out one night on the beer with the Nocturnal forum.

He ended up chatting with a very nice young lady, things were going well. We got onto the topic of employment and it turned out she was a court clerk and a large part of her job was the swearing in.

Me being all big and clever said "What if you didn't believe in god? What if you were an Atheist, or Jewish?"

She gives me a stony look and replies something like "Well Doomy, atheists have their own little vow they can swear.

And you may not know this, but jews actually do believe in god."

Advertisement