Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Student Moving To Dublin

Options
  • 09-02-2014 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Just a quick description first, i am starting college in Ballyfermot (Hopefully) in September. Now when i say young i am only 17. I am also a DJ so that is my main reasoning for moving to Dublin. I am currently living in Galway and travelling to Dublin every second weekend for gigs (sometimes more often). I have to say no to a lot of gigs because of living in Galway so thats another big reason for me to move.
    Now my question is where would a nice enough area be to live? Dosen't have to be perfect obviously. Looking to spend 600-800 on rent a month and live in my own flat/apartment. I know quite a few people on the north side and south side of Dublin City so either side dosent matter. I will also have a car so can drive to college if its not too far.
    Any advice about living in Dublin would be great! Thanks in advice!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Suppose one big factor will be, will you be driving to gigs, getting taxis or walking? Lugging around decks, mixers, etc... at 4am wouldn't be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 djs101

Either taxi or car depending on parking, if theres decks in the venue i use them :-)

Around Kilmainham could be a good shout, half way between town and Ballyfermot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

chapelizod

Kilmainham looks like a perfect location any idea on average rent there? Cheapest at the moment on daft is 900.
    Same with Chapelizod good location but any idea on average rent? 1000+ on daft but could just be the time of year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 moschops

I agree with Kilmainham or Inchicore being good areas. There is a direct bus route from Ballyfermot to the city centre - 79 I think (used to be 78a) - that go through these areas. Not too expensive for taxi's from town too. Good luck in college!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Are you looking to spend €600-800 for an apartment by yourself? You'll find that difficult at the moment I'd say. Would you consider sharing?

Moschops bus route is a great extra, those areas sound great thanks!
    ibarelycare , yes i would consider sharing but i was under the impression i could get an apartment for 800? flat for 700? A bit less in some areas.. Maybe im misinformed so any advice on that would be great!

djs101 wrote: »
    Moschops bus route is a great extra, those areas sound great thanks!
    ibarelycare , yes i would consider sharing but i was under the impression i could get an apartment for 800? flat for 700? A bit less in some areas.. Maybe im misinformed so any advice on that would be great!

Yeah you'd more than likely get a flat actually. Not sure about an apartment, it would depend on the area really, but if you're not too fussy then you should be able to get something on your own for under €800.

Yeah you'd more than likely get a flat actually. Not sure about an apartment, it would depend on the area really, but if you're not too fussy then you should be able to get something on your own for under €800.
    Yeah i'm sure it depends whats to offer at the time, prices seem to change all the time it'll be mostly luck.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    I think you'd have a hard time finding somewhere decent for less then 800 tbh. You might get lucky but I would deff consider sharing, you'd be able to get much more value for your money, you could get a double room in a very nice area for that price!
    Im definitely going to consider it, not sure how many people would be willing to share with a DJ and a student though haha.

Is it possible to sign a lease when you're only 17??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You will not get an apartment for 800. In some parts of the city, bedsits in old, cold georgian houses are going for 800 a month. At 17 i'd definitely recommend sharing. Who'd want to share with a 17 year old DJ'ing student? A 17 year old music loving student perhaps?

Is it possible to sign a lease when you're only 17??

No it's not as far as i know, it will have to be in someone else's name until i turn 18 which will be October. A know another student who had that problem and thats how they handled it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

syklops wrote: »
    You will not get an apartment for 800. In some parts of the city, bedsits in old, cold georgian houses are going for 800 a month. At 17 i'd definitely recommend sharing. Who'd want to share with a 17 year old DJ'ing student? A 17 year old music loving student perhaps?

many of my friends have 1 bedroom apartments in the heart of the city for between 700-800 per month. They're not amazing apartments but good enough and nice

EyeSight wrote: »
    many of my friends have 1 bedroom apartments in the heart of the city for between 700-800 per month. They're not amazing apartments but good enough and nice
    Thats what im looking for something nice enough not a palace. Even 10-15 minutes outside of the city would be great for me!

When did they get them? If they got them 2 years ago then that explains it. Rental in Dublin is crazy at the minute. Go on daft and search with a max of 800 and you will see what I mena.

When did they get them? If they got them 2 years ago then that explains it. Rental in Dublin is crazy at the minute. Go on daft and search with a max of 800 and you will see what I mena.

If you do a search on Daft for properties with a maximum monthly rent of €800, in the Dublin City, North City and South City areas, you get a total of 61 properties. Not a huge amount considering how many people are looking to rent at the moment, but it definitely is possible to find somewhere to live with a budget like that. A lot of them look quite questionable tbh, but the OP doesn't seem fussy.

If you do a search on Daft for properties with a maximum monthly rent of €800, in the Dublin City, North City and South City areas, you get a total of 61 properties. Not a huge amount considering how many people are looking to rent at the moment, but it definitely is possible to find somewhere to live with a budget like that. A lot of them look quite questionable tbh, but the OP doesn't seem fussy.

The poster I responded to said his friends have apartments in the "heart of the city". Even at that, 61 properties for that vast area, with current demand means you would be lucky to get one of them. I am speaking from experience after spending the guts of 3 months looking for somewhere to rent.

The poster I responded to said his friends have apartments in the "heart of the city". Even at that, 61 properties for that vast area, with current demand means you would be lucky to get one of them. I am speaking from experience after spending the guts of 3 months looking for somewhere to rent.

as recent as last may in the Camden street area. They weren't that hard to find either

• Advertisement

I don't believe all the fluff in the media regarding this shortage. Over the last 2 years i've moved a few times and not had any problems. Maybe it comes down to luck or my standards aren't as high

BTW i think one of my friends is moving out of her place in the next month. It's a 1 bed around wexford street and it's 750 a month. I can PM you if she does move on(it depends on if she finds somewhere else)

I agree with you 100%. I know it's going to be hard but do able. If i start looking for somewhere in May for September i'm sure i'll get somewhere within my budget and with the places mentioned before (Kilmainham and Inchicore) I think 800 a month will be possible.

There's one on Daft.ie for Emmet Road. Ideal location, house to yourself by the looks but doesn't look the may best inside but should be grand if you don't want anything too fancy.

I don't know anything about your budget or what type of place your looking for. I am looking for somewhere decent not the nicest place in the world, im a student. I think its hard to find somewhere but not impossible! I dont know where your looking either but i've seen several nice one bedroom apartments (from looking all day) for 700-800 in Tallaght, Clondalkin, Inchicore and Cherry Orchard. Not the best areas but thats what i'd get for my budget at this very second. If you havent looked in those areas maybe it's worth a shot but i dont know where your looking for personally!

I don't believe all the fluff in the media regarding this shortage. Over the last 2 years i've moved a few times and not had any problems. Maybe it comes down to luck or my standards aren't as high

BTW i think one of my friends is moving out of her place in the next month. It's a 1 bed around wexford street and it's 750 a month. I can PM you if she does move on(it depends on if she finds somewhere else)
    If shes moving in May that would be great for me haha.

Advertisement