Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Month Accom in London

Options
  • 17-01-2014 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm at a late-stage in an interview process for a short internship (1-3 months, depending) and I'm exploring short-term accom. (Southwark area, near Tower Bridge)

If I take the one month internship, I'm not sure what is the best type of accom? Hostels infrequently offer single person rooms and when they do, they are too costly for a month, apartments are cheaper.

I would be interested in a studio apartment though many seem to be classified as long-term beyond three months, the price charged per night shorter than three months is too pricey (£1000 per month).

B&Bs and university accom seem to be offering the same price more or less as hostels per night. For a month, it works out far more than an apartment.

I've had a look at each section on Craigslist and even in temporary accom/sublets, I cannot find anything priced weekly or monthly. I see about £50 per day.

Ideally I'd like to pay about £450-550 per month, preferably on a tube line, within 40 mins by tube from any direction, I'm running on the basis that I take the 1 month internship.

Any tips or ideas? ;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You'd be lucky to get something for that money unless you know someone in London who'd take you in as a lodger. What dates are you looking at being in London? You might have to bite the bullet and stay in a shared room in a hostel. Have you any friends in London you could pester?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

To be honest, I don't think you're going to find a short let studio apartment for the price you want. I'd advise looking for a short-term room in an existing flat share. Sometimes people sublet their rooms when they go travelling so you might be lucky to find something like that.

Check spareroom.co.uk You can whittle down your search right to your preferences and it does have a short let option.

eg this one in Bermondsey is 550 a month:

http://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/flatshare_detail.pl?flatshare_id=3160377&search_id=157186685&city_id=&flatshare_type=offered&search_results=%2Fflatshare%2F%3Foffset%3D20%26search_id%3D157186685%26sort_by%3Dage%26mode%3Dlist&

Also, check gumtree and set up an alert for what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Thanks everyone.

That flat via the link, that is the most appealing one I've seen yet. Thanks for that. I will explore that now.

I had a subsequent phone interview today, I'm one of the last few in the running. I've been planning on moving to Canada in just 6 weeks so this is quite a surprise. There is the chance I may not get it in the end but of course I need to estimate costs now in case I do. It's a *lot* of stress at the last minute, but it is a world-class company and it would ignite my career. London appears to be far more expensive than Vancouver. grrr!

I don't mind being up to about 40 minutes or so out of the city, as long as I'm on a tube line. The flat in that link is 10 minutes walk to the location I mentioned. That is really quite a find, thanks again. :) The company said that this one will be 2-3 months, which is less crazy than the 1 month internship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Hi all, this is kind of related to the OP question. Going to be finishing a masters soon, and plan on applying to the UK, more than likely London for a job.

Assuming all went went well with an interview, and they said when can you start, and you say "a month" or "in two months time", what's the best way of securing a place for a month or so while looking for somewhere to live/rent?

Same advice as above?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 seanp86

Hi all,

When I first came to London I was over and back and used www.airbnb.com its really good and good value, a wide range of places to choose from and you can rent for a few nights up to a few months. Well worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Cheers

Advertisement