Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Travelling abroad

Options
  • 15-09-2008 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Ok this may be the wrong thread so apologies if it is.

Basically, I'm off to the US in a month for a few weeks. I'd like to know if I should buy Dollars here before I fly out or just get them from the ATM or Bureau de change once I get stateside. What kind of costs could I incur?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

I wouldn't go for the atm, as far as I know they have higher charges. Depending on how much you're changing you shop around a bit. different banks willl have slightly different rates and so will bureau de changes. I'd guess airport ones will charge more as well (seeing as they'd get away with it)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hang on a few days and you'll get a few more %. Buy them here first would be my advice. Post Office or AIB usually have the best rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

it will vary depending on what bank you're with, and what account type you have also. i've always found it cheaper to use ATMs and credit cards, but that may not always be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Thanks for the input so far. It was some horrible day in the markets today, I'll wait a while before doing anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Rough rule for travel outside main countries of the EU is to change your money in ROI before you go

Also careful for 6 weeks late rif you use credit cards

They can chose to to use the rate of exchange that exists 6 weeks later if that suits them or they can charge when you used the cards so credit card companies always win the best rate and you always get stiffed with the crap rate

Even in big cities in the USA it is reputed that there will only be one bank in the whole city that will change Euro cash to $ and willl charge an arm and a leg

Derry

• Advertisement
Advertisement