Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airlink to be extended to southside?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It seems very vague with the only mention of services to the southside being
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dublin-bus-rolling-out-expanded-airlink-service-34425743.html
    Transport Minister Paschal Donohoe said Dublin Bus is continuing to explore opportunities to develop services further.
    While the journalist seems to have added the headline proclaiming added south side services.
    Dublin Bus is rolling out an expanded Airlink service to people on the city’s southside - and a range of new sightseeing tours are on the way to cater for our rapidly growing tourism industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭StreetLight

It's to be extended to the Harcourt Street / Camden Street area, according to this site:

http://www.dublinbuses.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It may also be of value to reaccquaint onself with the former route 746.......:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

While its good to see airport services expand in the city, its worth reminding our selves that there is a large area of north Dublin with some major hotels and a national sports stadium, which has international events etc, doesn't have a direct connection to Dublin airport.

A bit of integrated thinking by our minister for transport, tourism and sport wouldn't go a miss

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It may also be of value to reaccquaint onself with the former route 746.......:)

The number, not 'the route' by the sounds of it.
    thomasj wrote: »
    While its good to see airport services expand in the city, its worth reminding our selves that there is a large area of north Dublin with some major hotels and a national sports stadium, which has international events etc, doesn't have a direct connection to Dublin airport.

A bit of integrated thinking by our minister for transport, tourism and sport wouldn't go a miss

If you're talking about Croker, the 16 isn't that far away in Drumcondra.

Suggestion elsewhere that the 27b will be hooked up to both the Airport and Heuston. Not a wide-ranging improvement for the Northside, but at least something by all accounts.

• Advertisement

noelfirl wrote:

noelfirl wrote:
    Suggestion elsewhere that the 27b will be hooked up to both the Airport and Heuston. Not a wide-ranging improvement for the Northside, but at least something by all accounts.

No I'm talking about the sports campus at ballycoolin and the national aquatic centre.

thomasj wrote: »
    No I'm talking about the sports campus at ballycoolin and the national aquatic centre.

My apologies.*

*But, with the greatest respect to international events being held there, 'national sports stadium', while true, didn't exactly make me think of the NAC/sports campus - a tad ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

noelfirl wrote: »
    My apologies.*

*But, with the greatest respect to international events being held there, 'national sports stadium', while true, didn't exactly make me think of the NAC/sports campus - a tad ambitious.

I think that the real point is that the airport is the single biggest employer in north Dublin, and there is no network of local bus routes linking it with the communities across that area apart from the 16, 41 and 102.

It's frankly outrageous - at a bare minimum, the 4, 27b, 33a, 33b and 140 should all be terminating at the airport, rather than Harristown or Swords.

There should also be a separate orbital route operating across to Ballycoolin, Blanchardstown, Clonsilla and Ongar (possibly via Tyrrelstown).

The 17a is not a suitable candidate for this (as someone has previously suggested on these boards) as the loadings on the existing route are substantial all along the route and would be seriously diminished by re-routing to the airport. The Airport needs a separate service to/from Blanchardstown.

lxflyer wrote: »
    I think that the real point is that the airport is the single biggest employer in north Dublin, and there is no network of local bus routes linking it with the communities across that area apart from the 16, 41 and 102.

Yes, I know that, you know that, the cows in the field know that.

Knowing that and convincing the NTA to arrange the necessary funding to try/sustain new services is the crux of the difference.

I entirely agree with re-routing existing routes and would even say that all Harristown services should operate to the airport.

lxflyer wrote:
    The 17a is not a suitable candidate for this (as someone has previously suggested on these boards) as the loadings on the existing route are substantial all along the route and would be seriously diminished by re-routing to the airport. The Airport needs a separate service to/from Blanchardstown.

To be fair, I never suggested cutting parts of the route , from redirecting to the airport. My suggestion was to keep the existing route (apart from last 2 stops). But from donaghmede run down the n32, past the Hilton and over to the airport and vice versa.

While the journey maybe too long for people from blanchardstown or finglas, there are people further along the route ie ballymun, coolock, kilbarrack, malahide road etc. That would benefit from this.

Youre right about impact on capacity that would need to be looked at maybe a more direct route for blanchardstown and castleknock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Didn't Urbus have an exclusive route from the Blanchardstown and Castleknock areas running to the Airport? Why did it fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Didn't Urbus have an exclusive route from the Blanchardstown and Castleknock areas running to the Airport? Why did it fail?

Too infrequent, too expensive, no common ticketing with other services, no LEAP card, and not tailored to meet the needs of customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

noelfirl wrote: »
    The number, not 'the route' by the sounds of it.

Nope,if anything the other way round Noelfirl...The route,not the number :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Nope,if anything the other way round Noelfirl...The route,not the number :D

Really? I was under the impression that the 'new' 746 was to be the service to Camden Street, but am happy to be proven wrong. Would be good to see DB ramping back up diversity of services to the airport either way.

Now how about some 24h routes?

AlekSmart wrote:
    Nope,if anything the other way round Noelfirl...The route,not the number

So while parts of north Dublin don't have a link to the airport, south Dublin get spoiled for choice?

Is most of the old 746 route not covered by aircoach?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Departmemt of Transport press release on this can be found here: http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2016/improvements-dublin-bus-airlink-sightseeing-tours-will-better-meet-customer

On the southside, the press release states:

Minister Donohoe also announced that Dublin Bus is continuing to explore opportunities to develop services further, including a new Airlink route serving the southside of the city for 2016.; “The development of a new route will also, I am sure, come as great news to those living south of the Liffey, who will no doubt be looking forward to availing of it in the near future’.”

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Incidentally, in a commercial world, where as of a few weeks ago Dublin Bus did not have a license for another service, it'll be interesting to see if on the latest list of licenses, due to be published any day now where the route is going to since that should show it as clearly they must have a license if the Transport minister is talking about it so shouldn't be too long to wait.

Disappointing to see the 22:40 service from T1 leave a few minutes early tonight (app showed 3 mins when it pulled out) since the 23:00 service is too late to make any connections with onward public transport so I got a cab instead not impressed at all.

Advertisement