Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using hessian/burlap

Options
  • 01-01-2016 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hi all (and a Happy New Year). I have a large amount of coffee sacks that I want to use to make Christmas crafts from. Maybe hanging angels or snowmen. I want to paint and stiffen them. I plan on using emulsion paint to colour them, will this stiffen them aswell or will I need a starch or other stiffener? Should I paint and starch or starch and paint or mix both together?

Any suggestions, has anyone used hessian before, thanks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Emulsion paint will stiffen hessian to some extent but will possibly tend to crack and crumple. It depends to some extent on how stiff the hessian is to start with, and whether there will be folded edges to give support. A single thickness of hessian is going to be at risk of crumpling, whereas if you can incorporate lengthwise folds in the item it will help support it. I would suggest you use pva adhesive to stiffen the fabric - make the shape then dip the item into pva - probably slightly diluted. Allow it to dry on a plastic sheet, or hang. You can then paint it, but you will almost certainly need 2 coats of paint as the first coat will tend to craze - though on hessian this probably will not be noticeable and could even be an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Thanks, Ive read that modge podge painted on the raw edges will stop it fraying so that's the same as PVA (which I buy cheaper form a school supplies shop anyway). The figures I think will be stuffed but still trying to figure them out.
    Thanks

Advertisement