Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBA Playoffs 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

tumblr_m386q5QBKs1rrc8opo2_1280.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Think Utah and Magic can start making holiday plans for next week, they'll be going home shortly.

Magic's D was appalling last night, we just gave up in the 2nd half. Exactly the type of performance we didn't need. The only hope we had was getting a Saipan-like mentality going, determined to show we didn't need Howard, and rolling over for the Pacers like that is the complete opposite of what we want. I can see them taking us again on Saturday and wrapping it up in 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

padraig_f wrote: »
    I think they can, for a few reasons:
    - The defense, best in the league, is just as good without Rose
    - Rebounding. If the Knicks have outrebounded the Heat in both playoff games, the Bulls will have a real advantage there.
    - Rip Hamilton is now healthy, which he hasn't been for much of the season, so can contribute to the scoring. He's averaged 20ppg in his playoff career.
    - Still have home court advantage

Are they underdogs? Yes. And they probably need to get hot from 3 in a couple of games to win, but it's possible.

No offense, here but, in the regular nba thread, you made a not dissimilar claim that the knicks were better off getting the heat then the bulls, giving a myriad of reasons why the could compete and maybe even win.Just accept that the heat are a damn good team who defensively anyway are completely unmatched. I'm not going to get support here for saying this

Quote " The Heat are the most over-rated team in the playoffs and won't be getting out of the East. People keep tipping them to win, but they couldn't beat an aging Dallas team last year (standard is better this year), couldn't get the best record in East this year despite no significant injuries, and they've got worse as the season has gone on.

I think the Heat make a pretty good matchup for the Knicks. Wade hasn't been great the last few weeks, and Shumpert can defend him. Chandler can guard Bosh like he did in the finals last year. Lebron will get his points, but then so will Carmelo. And you'd probably take Shumpert/JR Smith/Novak/Fields over the Heat's supporting cast.

The Heat are one of the worst teams defending the 3-pointer, which is a big weapon for the Knicks (2nd highest team in 3-point attempts), and Chicago are one of the best at defending it. Chandler guarding Noah would mean the Knicks best defender is on the Bulls lowest-scoring starter, so he'd be a bit wasted there. The Bulls offense is more balanced this season, so limiting Rose won't be as effective as last year. Also the Bulls will kill the Knicks on the boards, they're 1st in rebound differential at +6.5, Knicks are 16th at -0.1, Miami +2.1.

Wade/Lebron/Bosh haven't played together in about the last 10 games of the season and I think will be vulnerable in the opening couple of games. That's the key for the Knicks I think, to steal game 1 or 2 in Miami. " Quote

I accept that certain circumstances have since prevailed (Shumperts injury) but the heat have blown the knicks out of the water in the 1st 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Anyone give the Knicks a chance tonight then at home to Miami?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Borisss

No.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Paully D wrote: »
    Anyone give the Knicks a chance tonight then at home to Miami?

Yup, I reckon they will scrape a win tonight, their only win of the series though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭padraig_f

buyer95 wrote: »
    No offense, here but, in the regular nba thread, you made a not dissimilar claim that the knicks were better off getting the heat then the bulls, giving a myriad of reasons why the could compete and maybe even win.Just accept that the heat are a damn good team who defensively anyway are completely unmatched. I'm not going to get support here for saying this

Well I said that before Rose and Shumpert had their ACL injuries. The Bulls had a better record than the Heat, despite having injuries, and appeared to be healthy at that time. When you're the 7/8 seed, it's kind of pick your poison, you're never going to be favourites, and I thought they might be a better matchup for the Heat.

As it played out, the Heat have played better than I expected, and the Knicks played worse (I wasn't expecting Carmelo to shoot 36% from the field), and they picked up an injury to a key player (and now two with Stoudemire).

I'm not denying that the Heat are a good team, you just have to look at their regular season record to see that, I'm just objecting to a consensus that they're going to stroll to a finals. I think they're a flawed team and I don't think you have to be a particularly great team to beat them. e.g. the Mavs last year, I have a lot of respect for Dirk and Rick Carlisle, but that Mavs team isn't going to go down as one of the great championship-winning teams. It's probably not even the best Mavs team that Dirk played on.

So if the Heat didn't beat that team, what's different this year? I don't think Shane Battier makes that much of a difference.

We're only 2 games into the playoffs, and I stand by what I said. I think the second round should be a better indication of where the Heat are at, the Pacers' fortunes aren't so tied up in one player, and I think they have a real chance to win that series. If the Heat wipe the floor with the Pacers, maybe I'll revise my opinion a bit.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Well I said that before Rose and Shumpert had their ACL injuries. The Bulls had a better record than the Heat, despite having injuries, and appeared to be healthy at that time. When you're the 7/8 seed, it's kind of pick your poison, you're never going to be favourites, and I thought they might be a better matchup for the Heat.

As it played out, the Heat have played better than I expected, and the Knicks played worse (I wasn't expecting Carmelo to shoot 36% from the field), and they picked up an injury to a key player (and now two with Stoudemire).

I'm not denying that the Heat are a good team, you just have to look at their regular season record to see that, I'm just objecting to a consensus that they're going to stroll to a finals. I think they're a flawed team and I don't think you have to be a particularly great team to beat them. e.g. the Mavs last year, I have a lot of respect for Dirk and Rick Carlisle, but that Mavs team isn't going to go down as one of the great championship-winning teams. It's probably not even the best Mavs team that Dirk played on.

So if the Heat didn't beat that team, what's different this year? I don't think Shane Battier makes that much of a difference.

We're only 2 games into the playoffs, and I stand by what I said. I think the second round should be a better indication of where the Heat are at, the Pacers' fortunes aren't so tied up in one player, and I think they have a real chance to win that series. If the Heat wipe the floor with the Pacers, maybe I'll revise my opinion a bit.

So basically your still saying that you think the Heat will not come out of the East? Last year Lebron and Wade were still acclimatizing to having 2 of the top 5 or 6 players in the league starting in their team, it was very much a case of, " is it my turn this time or should you go ." They seem to be playing more within themselves now, and as I have said previously that one two punch defense, especially in the next round , if it is the pacers, with Lebron guarding Granger, their primary offensive threat, we saw what he has done to Melo in this series, as you say yourself, 36% so far from the field, will straight away make it a difficult series for the pacers.Even if Hibbert can dominate Bosh downlow, the Heat will still force lots of turnovers. Another significant difference with the heat this year is that on turnovers they are really pushing the ball,ala Michael and Pip, Spoelstra has given consent for lebron, wade, and chalmers to push the ball hard. I believe if they had ran in last years finals against such a stacked veteran team that the Mav's were, and still are lebron would have his much sought after first ring...

Btw if anyone finds a good link for tonight post it here please if it isn't too much bother, thanks

• Advertisement

@buyer95 PM sent.

Durant really up for this. I am really starting to like OKC too I have to admit.

if the celtics go through who are they playing could be a banana skin for someone

if the celtics go through who are they playing could be a banana skin for someone

The winners of Bulls/Sixers. Let the record show, I tipped Boston for the Conference Finals before the play-offs even began. Just sayin'... :D

leggo wrote: »
    The winners of Bulls/Sixers. Let the record show, I tipped Boston for the Conference Finals before the play-offs even began. Just sayin'... :D

ok its on record

i like them for an upset or 2 but cant see them going all the way (there old bones will get tired)

Dumbass Knicks getting the 7th seed.

Was clear as day the Bulls were the best match up. Rather than the best team in the NBA.

/Sigh

Borisss wrote: »

Was clear as day the Bulls were the best match up. Rather than the best team in the NBA.

/Sigh

i duno if rose was there id put the bulls as favorites but with him out there not even close to the same team herd him described as the best pg since magic recently

• Advertisement

i duno if rose was there id put the bulls as favorites but with him out there not even close to the same team herd him described as the best pg since magic recently

http://www.officialpsds.com/images/thumbs/Chris-Paul-Callin-Play-psd9461.png

I love Paul too but I think history will see D Rose go down as the greater man. Paul is great for highlight reels but Rose leads his team like no other and will lead Chicago to multiple rings. I just don't get that vibe with Paul.

Noah went down last night as well and he's our best defender/rebounder. I'm not sure any team could cope with the loss of two of their best players.

Paully D wrote: »
    Noah went down last night as well and he's our best defender/rebounder. I'm not sure any team could cope with the loss of two of their best players.

stick a fork in them there done

• Advertisement

Do you remember at, like, Under-9 football...when one team was losing so badly that the manager would give the nod to the ref to blow it up for the sake of protecting their dignity?

You reckon that'd be possible for the Indiana/Magic series?

Anderson, Davis, Jameer and Richardson don't deserve this. They mightn't be all-star level but they've worked their arses off for the year for us. And now they've got to suffer this humiliation because the 'star' has taken his ball and gone home.

Tonight wasn't even just a poor performance: they're giving their all and it's just not been good enough. We need to write this season off ASAP and start re-building without Dwight and/or Van Gundy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Do you remember at, like, Under-9 football...when one team was losing so badly that the manager would give the nod to the ref to blow it up for the sake of protecting their dignity?

Anderson, Davis, Jameer and Richardson don't deserve this. They mightn't be all-star level but they've worked their arses off for the year for us. And now they've got to suffer this humiliation because the 'star' has taken his ball and gone home.

Tonight wasn't even just a poor performance: they're giving their all and it's just not been good enough. We need to write this season off ASAP and start re-building without Dwight and/or Van Gundy.

The Magic came back strong twice but just failed to get over the line. Van Gundy is a top coach but too many of the players are just not used to having to go get their own shots. Even with a massive amount of help from the refs, the Pacers managed to survice despite having the offence switch off for long periods in the 4th and OT.

Get rid of Howard IMO. There's nothing to say he won't do the same thing in a couple of years time if he doesn't get his own way again.

Saw the end. Was hoping I'd have to eat my words but it just turned out to be thrilling heartbreak. At least we're going down fighting.

Personally yeah, I'd get rid of Howard before Van Gundy. But I still don't think SVG is blameless in the entire debacle. An entire re-think is needed IMO. Really wishing we'd have traded for Gasol and Bynum when it was on the table, but then again who'd have predicted it would be this messy and that Bynum would be this good back then. But now we'd be extremely fortunate to just get Bynum.

Ah well. Back to Indiana next week to presumably put us out of our misery! Pacers deserve the win, I hope they test Miami.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Rudy Gay just on fire in the last few mins, this clips grizz series is awesome

Borisss wrote: »

/Sigh

Thank you, I made the very same argument in the regular season thread that the better matchup for the knicks was the bulls. Needless to say I got no support for this view, and was shot down by th entire thread, one person argued at length as to why the knicks would at least be competitive, b.s like Miami being overrated and other crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Bulls could be gone very soon. 76ers now lead 3-1

buyer95 wrote: »
    Thank you, I made the very same argument in the regular season thread that the better matchup for the knicks was the bulls. Needless to say I got no support for this view, and was shot down by th entire thread, one person argued at length as to why the knicks would at least be competitive, b.s like Miami being overrated and other crap

not really if rose came back healthy the bulls would be in a very different position now

recyclebin wrote: »
    Bulls could be gone very soon. 76ers now lead 3-1

Losing Rose and then Noah seems like just a step too far. Really have a feeling of ''what might have been'' about this year. Gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SoulGuy

It's kind of irritating watching Amare playing right now. He's crashing the boards and active on almost every play. Where is this most of the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

SoulGuy wrote: »
    It's kind of irritating watching Amare playing right now. He's crashing the boards and active on almost every play. Where is this most of the time?

He is an extremely annoying player, bags of talent but pretty selective on when and how he uses it.
    Pretty happy NY got a win in the series, fans deserve it and team has enough talent to push Miami, a bit late now but good to get a win.
    Lin to come back and light it up....:pac:

New York/Boston in the East finals.
    Lakers/Clippers in the West.

Well, I can dream. :D

He is an extremely annoying player, bags of talent but pretty selective on when and how he uses it.
    Pretty happy NY got a win in the series, fans deserve it and team has enough talent to push Miami, a bit late now but good to get a win.
    Lin to come back and light it up....:pac:

he has the talent to be one of the best pgs ever but hes knee is in bits if he plays 100% during the season he just wont be there for the playoffs his knee is so bad he cant get it insured

If LeBron took the same retarded route that Wade did to get that last shot he'd be getting killed right now, lol.

SoulGuy wrote: »
    If LeBron took the same retarded route that Wade did to get that last shot he'd be getting killed right now, lol.

wade has led a team to a ring lebron has not hence the leeway the self proclaimed king deserves none

First quarter of Mem V LAC has had everything. Great start for the Grizzlies showing what a physically strong team they are. Clippers come back into it and then we see how good their shooters are with 4 3 pointer, 2 each in 5 offences.
    This is gonna be a cracker.

Looks like Baron Davis career is over, was coming to an end anyway but no one wants to see it end to abruptly and kind of horrific, horrible injury. Wish him all the best, back to LA to make more movies I presume.

LOL at the first line of Tyson Chandler's acceptance speech for DPOY

Ya know what I just realised? The Clippers could do this. The ****ing Clippers.

Now the Spurs will be well-rested, but as we all know recently they tend to have great regular seasons then capitulate in the play-offs. And the Clippers were a massive bogey team for OKC during the regular season.

Maybe it's time everyone started looking at them seriously.

But...they're the Clippers?!

• Advertisement

Congratulations Bulls. Series decider in Philadelphia on Thursday cause no way they lose a game 7.

Interesting scoreline at half-time in LA with the Nuggets up 6. I like watching this Nuggets team, the rookie Kenneth Faried is a lot of fun to watch. Hopefully they can send it back to Denver.
    Ya know what I just realised? The Clippers could do this. The ****ing Clippers.
    I saw the end of the game last night and Chris Paul is such a bad-ass. Shot something like 6-7 in the last minute of regulation + overtime. Probably the best closer in the league right now. But I think the 2nd round is about their level. CP3 is carrying the team and I think the talent drop-off after him and Blake is pretty steep. Without CP3 last year they won only 32 games (another testament to what he's done: 32-50 last season to an equivalent of 50 wins this season). But I don't think one person, even of Paul's ability, beats the better teams.

Nuggets survive late Kobe onslaught. Huge game for Javale McGee, in 33 mins: 21 points, 14 rebounds, 2 blocks. He's a key player now in this series to compete with the Laker bigs. Andre Miller was sensational as well, check out his stat sheet: 8-11 FG, 6-6 FT, 2-2 from 3, 8 assists, 1 turnover. Should be a cracking atmosphere for game 6 in Denver.

JaVale was awesome last night.

Well Orlando are finally done. We gave ourselves too much work to do, always letting Indiana get a big lead so we had to come back, and the Pacers made us pay big-time in the 4th last night. Great performance from them and well-earned.

New York @ Miami and Clips @ Memphis tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,363 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

CJ Watson doing his best Marion Barber impression. Why pass it to Asik in that situation? Use your head dude!!

That was a tough one. But fair play to the team for fighting back. I gave up half way through the 3rd down double digits.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    CJ Watson doing his best Marion Barber impression. Why pass it to Asik in that situation? Use your head dude!!

That was a tough one. But fair play to the team for fighting back. I gave up half way through the 3rd down double digits.

Yeah that was pretty dumb, my jaw dropped as soon as he made the pass. I'm not half as disappointed now as when Rose got injured. Though I predicted better things, it became pretty clear as the series wore on the Bulls weren't going to be much of a factor beyond the first round.

Well done to the 76ers, defended really well (scoring, not so much). It's a young team and it's good experience for them to win a playoff series and get to the 2nd round. Happy for Doug Collins as well. He'd probably have drawn heavy criticism if they lost a 3-1 lead to a Rose-less Bulls, but a playoff series win vindicates his decision to return to coaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Nuggets fan here, don't post much though. Gotta say i'm incredibly impressed at how we brought in this "energiser bunny" approach and made a series of this, the Lakers have not been able to handle our intensity at all the past two games. Last night was as one sided a playoff game i've seen, it was only 15 points because the reserves finished it off. Kobe is sick and bitching at teammates, MWP hasnt played all series and is coming in cold tomorrow night, Bynum's heart isnt in it at all and Gasol looks atrocious. Looks like a divided lockerroom now too with Mike Brown siding with Kobe against Gasol and Bynum.
    Meanwhile someone different is stepping up for us every night, though Faried has been something special throughout. Unity over division.

I'd imagine the Lakers are regretting this from yesterday:
    Scott Hastings ‏ @ScottHastings
    Lakers all packed and ready to fly to okc....hmmm

They were made bits of last night, could not handle the pace at all. Stopped trying after a while, no wonder Kobe was giving out **** in his press conference:
    Kobe Bryant, asked if teammates matched his heart tonight: "No. Of course they didn't."
    On Metta World Peace "He's the one guy I can count on, night in and night out, to compete."

Momentum definitely with us now, but even if Lakers pull it off (and it's really beginning to look like they don't have the legs, last two games were dominated by us), OKC will have their merry way with them and take care of business in 5 or less.

• Advertisement

Fantastic game of ball there between the 6ers and Boston. Thoroughly enjoyable. Rondo stepping up big time tonight with a triple double to clinch game 1.

Next up Nuggets and Lakers. Faried needs to continue his form here if they are to defeat the Lakers in LA.
    Bynum and gasol need to step up big time. I fancy Kobe for 30+pts and that idiot MWP to have a great game after his rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

Really enjoying the games lately. I rarely get to watch them.

If any of ye dabble in a bit of betting would you be able to direct me to a website that lists (for each game this season) the prematch odds for each team and also the handicap line. I would also require scores for each quarter from every game. Thanks.

Kinda glad the Lakers are through. It sets up a fantastic conference semi versus OKC. MWP is back, Harden is in fantastic form, OKC have a score to settle but Kobe is still gonna be Kobe. It could be a 4-0 rout for OKC easily or could go the distance. Love it.

And, whatever the result in tonight's last 1st round game, either the Clippers or Memphis will give the Spurs an entertaining series.

Cant give Nuggets enough credit for last nights game, they were just fantastic for the entire series, one or two more pieces and they could be a real threat in the West. Ock v Lakers will be mental I think

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

ESPN's coverage is an absolute joke. I think I've seen one game on an actual tv and the rest have been on streams on my laptop. Took me a good while to find one for the game on atm

• Advertisement
Advertisement