Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter/Spring fuel prices 2015

• 14-01-2015 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭

Hi all

worth adding any good info people pick up as they go. With such low prices for oil, and going lower, its easy to get fleeced.

For anyone buying a few drums of kerosene, the cheapest I've found around Portlaoise/Portarlington/Mountmellick is Deverells Portarlington. www.deverelloil.com 80 cent per litre (cpl) as against, for instance Hinch's in Mountmellick who are, scandalously, charging e1.00 per litre.

Deverells will also deliver quite a small quantity 200L, currently e160.

I've also got great heating value this year out of Prima Ecofuels of Ennis, Co Clare. They deliver a pallet with free delivery or half pallets with a charge. Delivered locally through a pallet network which in Laois's case, is Hylands of Rosenallis. Each pack costs approximately 3.80 this way and will either run an open fire or a stove for the evening on these winter nights. I have burned UK heat Logs, Woodies' EKO logs, Staffords logs, BNMs and Lidl's lightly compressed logs. These are the best value; non-expanding. Incredible heat. Try them with Cosyglo gems in an open fire. Good God!

Good thread in bargain Alerts about buying coal from Tyrone. same advertiser as on Donedeal. Seems to be good feedback on the coal and lads are avoiding the carbon tax. Well, the seller is, as you are importing it by ordering the courier, not them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Hi all

worth adding any good info people pick up as they go. With such low prices for oil, and going lower, its easy to get fleeced.

For anyone buying a few drums of kerosene, the cheapest I've found around Portlaoise/Portarlington/Mountmellick is Deverells Portarlington. www.deverelloil.com 80 cent per litre (cpl) as against, for instance Hinch's in Mountmellick who are, scandalously, charging e1.00 per litre.

I've also got great heating value this year out of Prima Ecofuels of Ennis, Co Clare. They deliver a pallet with free delivery or half pallets with a charge. Delivered locally through a pallet network which in Laois's case, is Hylands of Rosenallis. Each pack costs approximately 3.80 this way and will either run an open fire or a stove for the evening on these winter nights. I have burned UK heat Logs, Woodies' EKO logs, Staffords logs, BNMs and Lidl's lightly compressed logs. These are the best value; non-expanding. Incredible heat. Try them with Cosyglo gems in an open fire. Good God!

Good thread in bargain Alerts about buying coal from Tyrone. same advertiser as on Donedeal. Seems to be good feedback on the coal and lads are avoiding the carbon tax. Well, the seller is, as you are importing it by ordering the courier, not them.

Hinch's must have read this thread op, there down to 85 cent/litre now 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

macnug wrote: »
    Hinch's must have read this thread op, there down to 85 cent/litre now 😊

Excellent! Thanks for reporting in. Long overdue, as their drum price was as far over Deverell's drum price as Deverells was over the 500-1000L fill price of say 62-63cpl. Definitely looks like they're reading alright. They're keeping a few cent a litre to offset the drive to Port ;-) Still worth getting it at Deverells if you're over in Port but good to see Hinch's coppin themselves on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Excellent! Thanks for reporting in. Long overdue, as their drum price was as far over Deverell's drum price as Deverells was over the 500-1000L fill price of say 62-63cpl. Definitely looks like they're reading alright. They're keeping a few cent a litre to offset the drive to Port ;-) Still worth getting it at Deverells if you're over in Port but good to see Hinch's coppin themselves on.

62c wow, never heard of deverells before, just new to the area, cheers.

macnug wrote: »
    62c wow, never heard of deverells before, just new to the area, cheers.

www.deverelloil.com A very old, very trustable local oil company. If you're in their yard, you can buy drums or, as I found out when I rang around a few, they seem to be one of the few who will deliver a VERY small amount i.e. 200 litres. Currently around e160. That is a right bargain. Drums are grand, but messy. And just ordered a fill for Tullamore from them. e615 on a 1000L. So they hit the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I believe Luterlls are 60c a litre for home oill at the pump. I was out there on Saturday getting diesel in my car.

I would like to know a good place to buy cosy glow type coal for my stove, later in the year i hope to buy in bulk.

• Advertisement

I believe Luterlls are 60c a litre for home oill at the pump. I was out there on Saturday getting diesel in my car.

I would like to know a good place to buy cosy glow type coal for my stove, later in the year i hope to buy in bulk.

WOW, if that's the case its mad! Thanks. It could be a bit like Mahon Oil do in Tullamore. Slightly cheaper at the pump than for a standard 1000L fill. Which looks the case here as a fill is around e615 /1000L. Appreciate that, nice one.

Have you checked the coal link I gave in my post #1? A lot of Boardsies seem impressed with their imported coal.

WOW, if that's the case its mad! Thanks. It could be a bit like Mahon Oil do in Tullamore. Slightly cheaper at the pump than for a standard 1000L fill. Which looks the case here as a fill is around e615 /1000L. Appreciate that, nice one.

Have you checked the coal link I gave in my post #1? A lot of Boardsies seem impressed with their imported coal.

They'll be ideal to buy for winter 2015 once i know they have the proper coal for my stove !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Hi all

Thanks An Ria for the starting Thread.

Are you saying Lidl logs are the best. Also where locally do you get the cosy glow gems. I'd like to try them.

Thanks.

sky6 wrote: »
    Thanks An Ria for the starting Thread.

Are you saying Lidl logs are the best. Also where locally do you get the cosy glow gems. I'd like to try them.

Thanks.

Sorry, had to read that again. Pardon me. It could read like that alright. No, Lidl's lightly compressed ones would be some of the worst in terms of heat output and indeed fire safety in an open fire (as they expand). Prima would be way out in front.

As a short-term solution to Prima wood briquettes locally (i.e. if you are not ordering a half or full pallet), try these http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/ecoflame-briquettes-10-pack6kg/11618/3.5.9#.VL_XROGuPC8 but don't buy them in Woodies!! Buy them at half that price now on a special offer in Glanbia. 5 packs of 16 Eco Flame logs for e20. You wouldn't burn them day and night, but they are fantastic for a hot starter fire and then followed up with Cosyglo gems. Or indeed one at the front to bring the coal along.

Cosyglo Gems are now e20 for a 40KG bag in Glanbia/Country Life and that's a e2 saving on what I was buying them for locally. They are brown lignite and just great on an open fire (Although I run an Eco Grate www.ecograte.ie as I picked one up cheap).

ps there's a competition on Glanbia for a pallet of briquettes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Sorry, had to read that again. Pardon me. It could read like that alright. No, Lidl's lightly compressed ones would be some of the worst in terms of heat output and indeed fire safety in an open fire (as they expand). Prima would be way out in front.

As a short-term solution to Prima wood briquettes locally (i.e. if you are not ordering a half or full pallet), try these http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/ecoflame-briquettes-10-pack6kg/11618/3.5.9#.VL_XROGuPC8 but don't buy them in Woodies!! Buy them at half that price now on a special offer in Glanbia. 5 packs of 16 Eco Flame logs for e20. You wouldn't burn them day and night, but they are fantastic for a hot starter fire and then followed up with Cosyglo gems. Or indeed one at the front to bring the coal along.

Cosyglo Gems are now e20 for a 40KG bag in Glanbia/Country Life and that's a e2 saving on what I was buying them for locally. They are brown lignite and just great on an open fire (Although I run an Eco Grate www.ecograte.ie as I picked one up cheap).

ps there's a competition on Glanbia for a pallet of briquettes.

Thanks for the info I'll give them a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

€320 for a 500 litre delivery with them too.

€320 for a 500 litre delivery with them too.

I'm ordering 500L today, good to now the price in advance:D

I paid more than that for 300L last year:(

Update.

I rang Luttrell's yard and was quoted 88c a litre for kerosene at the pump. Not a bargain at all in the current price climate.

ps for anyone with a stove or an open fire, Megatherm logs are available for 10 packs (100KG) for E30 in Telfords Portlaoise. That's 3 a pack and believe me they put out some heat. Way better bargain than even kiln-dried wood. I think that price per pack is even better than Megatherm (Woodireland) bulk delivery of 1 tonne. Just be careful and ensure to break the logs into multiple pieces, even in a stove, as these are the expanding type and can push a firefront out or indeed expand and fall out. But the heat is incredible and the packs are so clean. And you're supporting a switched-on Irish company.

Update 5pm. Hinchs are 85cpl. Pre-pay pump.

Update.

I rang Luttrell's yard and was quoted 88c a litre for kerosene at the pump. Not a bargain at all in the current price climate.

ps for anyone with a stove or an open fire, Megatherm logs are available for 10 packs (100KG) for E30 in Telfords Portlaoise. That's 3 a pack and believe me they put out some heat. Way better bargain than even kiln-dried wood. I think that price per pack is even better than Megatherm (Woodireland) bulk delivery of 1 tonne. Just be careful and ensure to break the logs into multiple pieces, even in a stove, as these are the expanding type and can push a firefront out or indeed expand and fall out. But the heat is incredible and the packs are so clean. And you're supporting a switched-on Irish company.

Update 5pm. Hinchs are 85cpl. Pre-pay pump.

This time last year it was €1.05 at the pump !

This time last year it was €1.05 at the pump !

!! I wouldn't allow that to be a reason to let excess money out of my wallet though !! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Fuel prices at the forecourt should come tumbling down in the next week or so, dollar touching 1.16 and Brent @ 43$ - what a cocktail😝😝☀️☀️🎉🎉🎉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Was about to to order home heating oil, but will sit it out for another while to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭catgalway

500 litres for €310 at the moment in Galway (Cosyhome & Elite)...do you think it could drop lower than that? To buy or to wait!!!!!

catgalway wrote: »
    500 litres for €310 at the moment in Galway (Cosyhome & Elite)...do you think it could drop lower than that? To buy or to wait!!!!!

Guy on newtalk this morning said the real reductions from the financial crisis at the moment won't be seen at the pumps for 4 to 6 weeks

Advertisement