Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kevin Kilbane - Player Manager of Sligo?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

iregk wrote: »
    Personally I could give a rats ass if you call me up on something or not so to say I was hoping I wouldn't be actually gave me a bit of a chuckle. Thanks.

Well, you were terrified enough about being percieved as a non-player than you announced to all and sundry you used to play LOI!
    As for your second comment well I've participated in christ knows how many discussions and more people that I could possibly count comment and then say it's off topic in any case. If stuff like that gets to you

Hypocrisy gets to me a little alright - not to any great extent mind, just enough to call you out on it.

or any of the posts in this thread for that matter get to you (they are very clean in fairness) then I'm sorry but you just haven't the neck for the LOI threads. But it's good to have you in any case.

Ah, theres that holier-than-thou attitude we were talking about

Seriously man come back during the season. You need a neck make of brass to hold your own in some of our threads so if this one got to you, then there is little hope.

And there it is again!

Jesus and you thought I was bigging myself up with claims I played football!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

noodler wrote: »
    Well, you were terrified enough about being percieved as a non-player than you announced to all and sundry you used to play LOI!

Hahaha brilliant. Quite a few that I'd talk to on here know I used to play! I didn't think it was any big secret. If it makes you feel any better I was quite crap and actually reached a level that far out stripped where I should have been at. But you're right I was terrified, completely and utterly. I'm actually sitting in the jacks right now having locked the door praying for the bad man to stop. Terrified you say, but fear not. I've been called up on everything, you caught me out, showed me for who I am, I'll be out in a minute with my hands up. Oh the humanity!

Also I am a non-player. I haven't played football in 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Ah, theres that holier-than-thou attitude we were talking about

I dont think this means what you think it means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Hahaha brilliant. Quite a few that I'd talk to on here know I used to play! I didn't think it was any big secret. If it makes you feel any better I was quite crap and actually reached a level that far out stripped where I should have been at. But you're right I was terrified, completely and utterly. I'm actually sitting in the jacks right now having locked the door praying for the bad man to stop. Terrified you say, but fear not. I've been called up on everything, you caught me out, showed me for who I am, I'll be out in a minute with my hands up. Oh the humanity!

Also I am a non-player. I haven't played football in 3 years.

I'm sure you weren't bad - but I wasn't calling you up on the fact you don't play anymore!
    bohsman wrote: »
    I dont think this means what you think it means.

Well, specifically when someone tells you that the level of debate (or banter) in a thread is too much for you to handle - what would you call it?

It is certainly adopting a position that you possess certain attributes which the other person does not despite not knowing for certain if this is the case.

I could have chosen a better phrase to convey my sense of amusement at somebody suggesting I couldn't handle the heat of a particular thread but I think it got the point across.

I'm sure you weren't bad - but I wasn't calling you up on the fact you don't play anymore!

Well, specifically when someone tells you that the level of debate (or banter) in a thread is too much for you to handle - what would you call it?

It is certainly adopting a position that you possess certain attributes which the other person does not despite not knowing for certain if this is the case.

I could have chosen a better phrase to convey my sense of amusement at somebody suggesting I couldn't handle the heat of a particular thread but I think it got the point across.

The LOI threads hit mindnumbingly boring back and forths just like the Celtic/Rangers threads and the MUFC/LFC threads. I don't have the stomach for them most of the time and often avoid.

None of the posts in this thread have been looking down at people for not following the LOI, the majority of the sniping ones have been "you have no interest in the league so fck off with your patronising opinions"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

So is there any news on Sligo's new manager, who may get interviewed? Personally as we've got them first, the longer this drags out the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

EGM on 6th March.
    They had said they hoped to appoint by the end of this week.
    I cant see that happening now. Some serious crap to sort out beforehand.

I hope they dont take the easy cheap option and just go with Carr. Im not sure he'd have the draw.
    According to the weekender brian little, brian kerr, julian dicks, richardson and collins have all applied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

to but this to bed once and for all. a uefa pro licence is required. he does not have one. our manager is required to have one or in the process of getting one he is doing neither there for he has being ruled out.

thread closed.
    no way to do the finn harps way then, kilbane could be "director of football", someone with badges as "manager":D in honesty though i dont know if you want to take a punt on someone so inexperienced in management with where sligo are now. a bad season could really hurt sligo financially (lets face it remove the FAI cup last year, your really only on the break even mark). people are calling gerry carr the easy option but he has helped build the team, style of play etc alongside cook, i would fancy him to do well. and nobody goes to loi games to see the manager anyway, hell even roy keane's ipswich friendlies barely boosted attendances. even if Carr doesnt become manager i wouldnt want to lose him as the no2. but then again the last few appointed managers have all done a job for sligo so id back the board here now
    Trilla wrote: »
    I like the LOI
    I like the EPL
    I like the football in general...

I fúcking hate the way these threads go south all the time, in the same way most of us hate half the crap in the Liverpool v United match threads.
    +1... but in fairness blaming the loi v rotw debates here as a reason for not going to games in a massive cop out... unless your 10. not saying it helps either but id bet you werent going you games before joining boards!
    even a vague intrest by a passer by shouldnt be shot down when we want attendances to improve... when people think about it the raul fergie replacement is actually an apt comaprison. 2nd in the league, playing in europe and a woeful league campaign could be disasterous financially (bearing in mind loi's rapidly moving budget goal posts and man u's enormous debts who budget on being in the CL groups each year). a dismissive attitude showing up some facts rather than what do you know etc could really improve peoples opinion of the league rather than just piss em off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

EGM on 6th March.
    The process has started. No reason why a manager can't be appointed in the short term.

Theres not all that much actually wrong at the club to be honest, the hysteria is what could kill us...

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

I hope they dont take the easy cheap option and just go with Carr. Im not sure he'd have the draw.
    According to the weekender brian little, brian kerr, julian dicks, richardson and collins have all applied.

What is "the draw"?? I don't think any of these managers will boost attendances. GC knows the team, style of play and the league. All much more important then getting 1 or 2 extra through the gates.
    He isnt the easy cheap manager. He is a good coach and will make a good manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

I think appointing Carr would be a brave option, he has way more influence than most assistants and has been instrumental in building the current rovers squad.

I think the board are aware of this and would try and make keeping GC a condition for any new manager.

Carr has turned down other options to get his shot at the Rovers job and I'm sure will be pushing hard to get it.

srfc19 wrote: »
    What is "the draw"?? I don't think any of these managers will boost attendances. GC knows the team, style of play and the league. All much more important then getting 1 or 2 extra through the gates.
    He isnt the easy cheap manager. He is a good coach and will make a good manager.

The draw and ability to attract new players not attendances!
    GC is the easy cheap choice, thats not to say he may not be a success.
    From what ive dealt with him i dont think hes up to the job tbh, but thats just one mans opinion.
    No matter what, he should remain the no.2 if it were up to me.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    The process has started. No reason why a manager can't be appointed in the short term.

Who's gonna appoint him?
    Bit of a mess at the moment.
    Hoping it doesnt hamper preparations too much.
    It'd be nice to get of too a good start for once.

Who's gonna appoint him?

Na it wouldn't:D

Who's gonna appoint him?
    The committee thats been put together solely for the job of appointing a new manager would be my first guess.

The committee thats been put together solely for the job of appointing a new manager would be my first guess.

The temporary committee.
    Yeah.

The temporary committee.
    Yeah.
    Well yes. They'll serve no purpose once an appointment is made..:confused:

Well yes. They'll serve no purpose once an appointment is made..:confused:

I was being sarcastic.
    The temporary committee that might not be here to show the new man where his office is. Im sure it wont come to that, its all a bit of an over reaction, but we should be sorting out internal affairs first imo.

I was being sarcastic.
    The temporary committee that might not be here to show the new man where his office is. Im sure it wont come to that, its all a bit of an over reaction, but we should be sorting out internal affairs first imo.
    The management comittee will reshuffle but most of the same names will be there.

Kelly is on the committee to appoint a manager so I wouldn't be too worried. If we get him back in as chairman we're laughing.

Yeah its just such a fcuker that its all up in the air with 3 weeks to go.
    Im afraid to start looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

Don't be. Its not near what its being made out to be..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

EGM on 6th March.

Would Mr Kerr be the hot favourite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

8 days.

Would Mr Kerr be the hot favourite?
    No.

No.
    Who then?

Egil Ostenstad is favourite at present.

CSF wrote: »
    8 days.

Where did i get 3 weeks from?
    Mustve been thinking of Paddys day...:confused:

Whats the story with Ostenstad?
    Anyone know much about him?

Edit: is this ex southampton ostenstad???
    Has he managed before???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Is going after a manager who couldn't have any real knowledge of our league (unless he has some sort of fetish for watching ****e leagues) really a great idea 8 days before the start of the season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Lawrie Sanchez also started at Sligo Rovers and later managed Northern Ireland and Fulham and was a reasonably successful top level manager.

It's better to start where there is no pressure, than start at the top.

Jeff Kenna managed Galway and St. Pats.

It's in no way unprecedented that Kilbane would do this to be honest.

What about Capello? He's unemployed at the moment..

Slightly tongue in cheek I admit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

dreamers75 wrote: »

He'd probably leave after about 2 weeks anyway and claim he's homesick - again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

No.
    If he has applied, then surely he is the best candidate by a garden mile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Lawrie Sanchez also started at Sligo Rovers and later managed Northern Ireland and Fulham and was a reasonably successful top level manager.

Jeff Kenna is hardly a good example to use , I don't see why there would be no pressure either.

Massive amount of pressure for whoever takes over. Fail to finish top 2 and the club could fall apart type pressure.

• Advertisement

Might be good for the manager in question in the long run but probably not for Sligo

bohsman wrote: »
    Massive amount of pressure for whoever takes over. Fail to finish top 2 and the club could fall apart type pressure.
    Eh its the League Of Ireland, how could there be pressure? Pub league.

gustavo wrote: »
    Jeff Kenna is hardly a good example to use , I don't see why there would be no pressure either.

Well it looks like he's not going there, but let's imagine for the sake of argument he did.

First off, Sligo would have small resources..

So if he wins a few games which might happen, people will say, he did ok with small resources, you hardly expect him to win everything.

If he loses, likewise the same argument, small resources, etc.

If he screws up, people will say, ah it was only his first job, small club with small resources, he'll have learned from his mistakes.

And few people in England will have heard about it.

If he was to take over at Hull as a first job, that would be huge pressure, as its a lot bigger club than Sligo.

Well it looks like he's not going there, but let's imagine for the sake of argument he did.

First off, Sligo would have small resources..

So if he wins a few games which might happen, people will say, he did ok with small resources, you hardly expect him to win everything.

If he screws up, people will say, ah it was only his first job, small club with small resources, he'll have learned from his mistakes.

If he was to take over at Hull as a first job, that would be huge pressure, as its a lot bigger club than Sligo.
    You really don't know much about Irish football, do you? Sligo have used massive resources compared to the rest of the Premier Division aside from Shamrock Rovers, and maybe Pats.

No pressure? There's massive pressure on Sligo this season as they've been "knocking on the door" the last couple of years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Shur its only the Oirish league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't know anything about the Irish League, so I'm going to spoof my way into an argument that I really have absolutely clue about.

I'm then going to stubbornly stick to my point, even though it's clearly based on ignorance, and I'm furthermore going to try and debate my baseless opinions with people who do what they are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Kerr wouldn't be cheap. Plus you have to deal with P1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

First off, Sligo would have small resources...

They have one of the highest budgets in the LOI. Shamrock Rovers would obviously be a bit higher but Sligo wouldn't be far behind.

Sligo finished 3rd in 2010 and 2nd in 2011. They have won the FAI cup in both 2010 and 2011. They have strengthened their squad again for this season and their fans and board expect them to challenge very strongly to win the league this season. This is the environment Kilbane or any other manager would find himself in at Sligo, he wouldn't get a pat on the back for winning a few games as you put it, he will be expected to be right at the top of the league all season.

If he was to take over at Hull as a first job, that would be huge pressure, as its a lot bigger club than Sligo

No if he screws up (i.e. he finishes below the top 3 and doesn't win a cup) he will be sacked and regarded as a failure. Sligo right now is not a job for a rookie manager finding his feet. Much better to start in the job at a lower league club in England that are expected to finish mid table at best and who will give a manager 3 or 4 years to build a squad. At Sligo the new manager will be given one season with a squad already assembled and the transfer window closed.

Ex internationals don't have a great record stepping into management in the LOI. In recent years Jeff Kenna was a failure at Pats and Gareth Farrelly was a failure at Bohs. It certainly didn't do their managerial careers any favours. Neither of them are managing at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

They have one of the highest budgets in the LOI. Shamrock Rovers would obviously be a bit higher but Sligo wouldn't be far behind.

Sligo finished 3rd in 2010 and 2nd in 2011. They have won the FAI cup in both 2010 and 2011. They have strengthened their squad again for this season and their fans and board expect them to challenge very strongly to win the league this season. This is the environment Kilbane or any other manager would find himself in at Sligo, he wouldn't get a pat on the back for winning a few games as you put it, he will be expected to be right at the top of the league all season.

No if he screws up (i.e. he finishes below the top 3 and doesn't win a cup) he will be sacked and regarded as a failure. Sligo right now is not a job for a rookie manager finding his feet. Much better to start in the job at a lower league club in England that are expected to finish mid table at best and who will give a manager 3 or 4 years to build a squad. At Sligo the new manager will be given one season with a squad already assembled and the transfer window closed.

So what, all that means absolutely nothing when you consider he's played for Ireland for years, and has experience managing the Hull reserves, both of these means he's brilliantly equipped for managing a team like Sligo, of which the only thing expected is that you win, or at least very strongly challenge to win the league, it's anothing league, and any clown could do it ffs.

Your rational arguments have no place on this thread.

Ex internationals don't have a great record stepping into management in the LOI. In recent years Jeff Kenna was a failure at Pats and Gareth Farrelly was a failure at Bohs. It certainly didn't do their managerial careers any favours. Neither of them are managing at the moment.

Excellently put.
    Sligo expects.

Advertisement